St. Vincent - Strange Mercy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seeing her for the second time tonight. Cannot wait.

Finally got around to giving the new one a good listen. I don't like it anywhere near as much as I do Strange Mercy, but it's got some great tracks. I love the first half, Rattlesnake thru Digital Witness is a great run. (Prince Johnny reminds me a lot of the title track to Strange Mercy, but a little edgier, more electro.) There isn't a bad track, but it does begin to run together a little bit for me.

Really hoping for Grot tonight, even though it's very unlikely.

Jesus. H. Fucking. Christ.

I am rendered speechless once again. There are very, very, very few artists who put on a show as good as St Vincent. Annie Clark is an absolute genius. A sexy, guitar-shredding, cool-as-fuck, effortless genius.

Highlights were everything.

I haven't heard the first two albums. When I last saw her, she played Your Lips Are Red and was mindblowing, but I didn't remember the "your skin's so fair it's not fair" part, I actually thought it was another song tonight, but MY FUCKING GOD. No superlatives are enough.

I have friends who think female artists (be they comedians or musicians) are lesser than males. Annie Clark is better than about 95% of the males I've ever seen. Just fucking stellar.

You hadn't given it a "good listen" yet? WTF have you been doing with your life?

Also if anyone can point me to Annie's most fierce live performance of a song, any song, please let me know. I have to school my dumbarse friends who don't know her on Facebook tomorrow.

Jesus. H. Fucking. Christ.

I am rendered speechless once again. There are very, very, very few artists who put on a show as good as St Vincent. Annie Clark is an absolute genius. A sexy, guitar-shredding, cool-as-fuck, effortless genius.

Highlights were everything.

I haven't heard the first two albums. When I last saw her, she played Your Lips Are Red and was mindblowing, but I didn't remember the "your skin's so fair it's not fair" part, I actually thought it was another song tonight, but MY FUCKING GOD. No superlatives are enough.

I have friends who think female artists (be they comedians or musicians) are lesser than males. Annie Clark is better than about 95% of the males I've ever seen. Just fucking stellar.

Yeah Annie is a goddess. She, Victoria Legrand, and Natasha Khan (Bat for Lashes) are like the holy trinity of female musicians for me.

Did she play the solo version of Strange Mercy at your show? It was probably the highlight of the show I saw a few months back, partly because I love the song and partly because she didn't play it the time I saw her before.

Yeah Annie is a goddess. She, Victoria Legrand, and Natasha Khan (Bat for Lashes) are like the holy trinity of female musicians for me.

Did she play the solo version of Strange Mercy at your show? It was probably the highlight of the show I saw a few months back, partly because I love the song and partly because she didn't play it the time I saw her before.

Totally agree. I'd rate Victoria Legrand just a touch below, only because I find Beach House's music a little homogenous (as much as I like them), but yeah, that's a great trinity.

Unfortunately she did not. I was a little devastated about that, Strange Mercy is probably my favourite St Vincent song, but it's a small complaint.

The weird thing about Annie is that she manages to maintain a generally detached stage personna (at least during this tour, a little less so during the Strange Mercy tour) while being incredibly charimastic and engaged. Certainly one of my very favorite live acts. I agree with Cobbler on Beach House - I wasn't too impressed with Victoria's stage presence even though I love their music.

I'll add Eleanor Friedberger to the list of favorite female performers. She's great live.

You know me to be a champion of Victoria. She and Annie are absolutely tops for me. Beyond that, there's a lot of competition for the trinity. Might have to be a Rushmore. Or a power ranking. Whatever the kids at Buzzfeed are championing these days.

Victoria doesn't need the barn-burning stage presence because her voice is so goddamn hypnotic.

I'd probably put Sharon Van Etten with St. Vincent and Bat for Lashes. Not as an explosive stage presence but she performs her songs so intently, the whole crowd hands on to every note. Plus, she's has great banter with fans in between songs.

Sent from my SM-G730V using U2 Interference mobile app

Yes I love the detachedness. She also has some good banter. She has this weird little narrative and last night was like "you have a nickname ... it's kangaroo" and someone yelled out "that's racist" and everyone had a good old laugh. "That worked a little too well" said Annie.

I assume Karen O would be a great frontwoman as well.

I didn't like the detachedness at all when I first saw it, but I read/viewed some interviewers and realized she's withholding with everyone, so I didn't feel like I just saw her on the wrong tour or anything.

0f2bc_1312136.jpg

I'm crazy about StVincent right now. I saw her opening for The National in Berlin last week and I love her latest album, it's really wicked music but pretty cool. The show was also great. Shame I discovered her so late. I like Strange Mercy a lot, too, but I'm not really into the work she did with David Byrne.

The Byrne stuff was 1000 times better live than on record. Easily one of my top ten all time shows.

I like that album, and wish I had seen them live.

shit, wish I had seen HER live.

Regrets .... I've had a few.

I like that album, and wish I had seen them live.

shit, wish I had seen HER live.

Regrets .... I've had a few.

I'm really bummed I didn't go to the show earlier this year. I had to help some friends move early that next morning.

Yes, that is a terrible reason not to go to a concert.

A friend asked me last night if I had been to any good gigs lately and I said YES ST VINCENT and she was like who's that and I just started raving, trying to appeal to the feminist in my friend by pointing out that she's better than many males I've seen live, but she did not share my excitement.

I hope to one day find someone in life who I can have ridiculous conversations about music with. Someone who would not be averse to talking about "Let Down" for a straight hour.

Back
Top Bottom