St. Vincent - Strange Mercy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Digital Witness and Regret are my absolute favorite songs in the record, but the instant the distorted guitars kick in on Huey Newton is just ridiculously good.

This is good. I don't like St. Vincent nearly as much as some people on here seem to but this is a step in the right direction. She's a weird artist. It's impossible for me to put tags on her music.

I'll have to give Strange Mercy another listen in the near future. That album didn't do anything for me at the time.

Haha! That might be the best one of those I've seen. Great stuff. Although, I wish she would have been more into FRASIER. Probably the second best laugh-track sitcom of all-time. Fucking brilliant show.

Didn't know you dug Frasier. It's a show I've never really seen mentioned around here. I love it too, and I've been really getting Cheers of late through repeats. Assume Seinfeld is your number one laugh-track sitcom.

And yeah, Annie's so affable. Probably my favourite over/under after Flying Lotus and Thundercat.

Yeah, there was a good year long stretch, this was maybe 2005 or 2006, where I tuned in to the reruns every single night and caught up on the entire series. So good. I hated it when I was little because it beat Seinfeld at the awards shows, and then I actually watched it and realized that it was deserving of those awards. Nothing will ever top Seinfeld, though.

Never seen Cheers, other than maybe two or three episodes. In fact, the Cheers "reunion" style episodes of Frasier were usually ones that I paid barely attention to. There weren't that many of those, though. I'm sure Cheers is a fine show. Definitely influential, I know that. I've heard that Wings is a near carbon copy in many ways, and I'm really fond of Wings. Cheers was just a few years before my time.

Funny how tastes change. I hated Seinfeld for the longest time, but when I started watching reruns four or five years ago I started to get the humour and now I consider it one of the greatest shows of all time.

I'm also glad I stuck it out with Curb. I watched the first season and didn't get the second for like two years because the first season made me so uncomfortable. Larry David is a genius.

I also like Cheers because half the characters are Pixar voice actors.

Just saw a Verizon ad playing 'Birth in Reverse.' Music only. Kinda would have loved to hear "Take out the garbage/Masturbate" in a phone commercial.

I'm pretty sure not going to see her this past week will be one of my biggest regrets for 2014.

Same here. I've already heard way too much good about the show here a couple days ago. Oh well, being a responsible adult required sacrifices.

To Baal. LOL

Saw her last night. It bears repeating just how brilliant a guitarist she is. There was a Devo-ish quality to the stage design and wardrobe, which was quite a departure from the sparseness of the last time I saw her.

Anyway, the tracks from S/T came across well, but not nearly as well as the Strange Mercy songs, which all had tremendous force to them. Cheerleader for example is less a pop-leaning song now than some kind of doomsday march. I also got to see Strange Mercy (the song) in a stripped-down take, which was probably the highlight of the show for me.

I saw Annie open for Arcade Fire in 2007, and really enjoyed her set, but haven't paid much attention to her since. I know, I know. My loss.

Anyway, I recently bought tickets to see her when she comes to town in July, so I decided to Cobbler it, and listened to her latest. I love it. It's all I've been listening to these last few days.

I actually didn't think it was all that good. She did the same two songs on Colbert and it sounded a lot better. But that's SNL acoustics for you.

Back
Top Bottom