Springsteen VIII - 2014, tour, album, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At least WOAD was all-new material.

Maybe this will surprise us. Maybe with Morello it will have a uniqueness to it and that's why Bruce is getting this out there. Maybe the revisions will work out. Maybe it will actually rock.

But I'm quite concerned. This smells like a total rush job. High Hopes is a cover that he already did. Harry's Place is from The Rising sessions and you wonder how it relates to Mary's Place. American Skin is over a decade old and already available in studio form courtesy of a promo single (and of course it's available live as well). We all know about The Ghost Of Tom Joad (has there ever been a title track to an album re-released on a different album?). The Wall has been around for years (albeit unreleased), and Dream Baby Dream is available already as a live cover from the Devils & Dust tour.

Yes, it means more touring, and that's a definite plus. I get it. But at the expense of what? A new album that is a partial rehash job that will downgrade the latter part of his discography? There are other ways to continue a tour in 2014. You don't need a new album to do it. How about an EP with just the new songs? I'd be all over that.

Wrecking Ball is a great album. Take some time, release some other projects (The River and BITUSA box sets are due anyway) or the aforementioned EP, and come back with a strong follow-up later.

but it was all bad, all new material. no silver lining there at all.

i definetly agree that you don't need a new album to tour, and it's especially transparent when your new album is a throw-away collection of stuff that is really only going to appeal to the same die-hards that already have whatever versions are already lurking around. at the same time, i can't say i like the idea of getting price-gouged on a super deluxe box set version of entire albums i already own, either.

as for a studio version of 41 shots, i wonder if that was what i was confusing the lack of studio version of land of hopes and dreams with when we got that last time around. cos i was under the impression there was one prior to it re-surfacing, but then you guys told me there wasn't...

but it was all bad, all new material. no silver lining there at all.

Outlaw Pete, My Lucky Day and The Last Carnival deserved a better fate. All good songs, and of course The Wrestler was tacked on the end.

at the same time, i can't say i like the idea of getting price-gouged on a super deluxe box set version of entire albums i already own, either.

If they end up being like the Darkness box, you are certainly getting a lot more than just the remastered album. Totally worth it for The Promise double set and the live '78 show alone.

as for a studio version of 41 shots, i wonder if that was what i was confusing the lack of studio version of land of hopes and dreams with when we got that last time around. cos i was under the impression there was one prior to it re-surfacing, but then you guys told me there wasn't...

Bruce Springsteen - American Skin (41 Shots) (Lyrics) - YouTube

Outlaw Pete, My Lucky Day and The Last Carnival deserved a better fate. All good songs, and of course The Wrestler was tacked on the end.

If they end up being like the Darkness box, you are certainly getting a lot more than just the remastered album. Totally worth it for The Promise double set and the live '78 show alone.

Bruce Springsteen - American Skin (41 Shots) (Lyrics) - YouTube

I did like my lucky day quite a bit, but that was about it (and I'd totally forgotten it existed).

The darkness box really was cool, and as far as box sets go, way better than 99% of the box sets out there. Yet somehow I was hardly compelled to go back to very much of the extra stuff after the first week or so that I had it in my possession. That probably makes me a bad fan, but so be it.

And I believed you that studio 41 shots exists, it's not a favorite song of mine, nor am I the same caliber of Bruce historian that you are. Probably also means I'm a bad fan.

I'm kind of with you, Ashley. Tom's a bit of a one-riff pony and I'd rather hear Bruce. It was fun the first time several years ago, but not so much anymore.

I always think I like Morello a lot more than I actually do. I bought into all the audioslave hype when they first came out, and I always liked rage a lot more when I wasn't actually listening to them (so much of their stuff sounded exactly the same, and that could be largely attributed to nearly identical guitar riffs on every song). So on paper, more Morello always seems way cooler than it ever ends up being. I'm not sure why I like the idea when I know this is generally the case, you think I would have learned by now orsething.

I liked that one quite a bit, although I could have done without Maggie's Farm. But I'm fairly ashamed to admit that their version of kick out the jams was the first time I'd heard the song. :(

If it means anything at all, the Rage record I listen to the most, when I listen to them at all, is the all covers record. I really like that one.

Some covers were good (Tom Joad for one), but the whole project seemed so unnecessary. They have never managed to top the debut, which is a pretty kick-ass record.

the doors waiting for the sun was never on the album of the same name lol. it was on a different record. I asked my friend is tom morello in the e street band now? He was on stage a few times for a couple songs. Then he was on wrecking ball couple songs. Then he replaced little steven for the austrialian tour . Now hes on most of the songs on high hopes. If you like tom and bruce then your getting your fill.

I finally watched Springsteen & I last night. It was all right. My favorite fan story was the English guy getting upgraded to the front row at the MSG show.

It's different, I'll give him that.

But this was my favorite part of that article...

This year also marks the 30th anniversary of Springsteen’s smash Born in the U.S.A. but his manager Jon Landau says there are no plans to celebrate that with a deluxe reissue – at least not yet. "There's ongoing work on a River box set," says Landau. "Maybe we’ll do that first. And we're doing some major work on his first two albums [1973's Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. and The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle] as we speak. Those will be forthcoming."

I was going to wait until it was out, but the local music scene blog/site I write for offered it up for "preview," so I've got it. Will listen in the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom