Springsteen VIII - 2014, tour, album, etc. - Page 44 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2019, 03:25 PM   #646
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:18 PM
Yeah that’s on my list as well. First single didn’t leave me very confident but it definitely seems like she’s trying to do something different this time around.

lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:14 PM   #647
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:18 PM
yeah, the ASMR cha-cha-cha single did little for me, but "Crave" is doing a lot for me at the moment.

Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:31 AM   #648
The Male

Western Stars is really good stuff but probably could have been scaled back a bit as far as its orchestration is concerned. Sometimes it's gloriously lush (The Wayfarer) but on other occasions it's saccharine and overdone. Bruce is in solid voice and there are some nice moments of self-reflection at times, though the subject matter grew redundant by the end. It's like a 7/10, definitely not Nebraska tier, but I'd easily take it over Working on a Dream and High Hopes.

I thought Madame X was almost entirely awful, with only the truly bizarre if wildly inconsistent Dark Ballet and instrumentally (if not vocally) pleasing God Control striking me as worth a second listen. The vocal performances and hooks are phoned in throughout and the Latin influences are pretty shallow and clumsily executed. Crave is so boring I could barely finish it. Bitch I'm Loca is utterly embarrassing coming from anyone, let alone a 60 year old pop legend. It hasn't been that long since she made incredible songs like Sorry and Get Together, but it seems like an eternity ago.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #649
Blue Crack Supplier

Working on a Dream may have had some higher highs, but this is a bit more consistent with its aesthetic (lyrically and musically). I get what you're saying, though; it gets a little redundant and the short running times make some of the tracks a little insubstantial. I wouldn't put it anywhere near as high The Rising.

But damn, Moonlight Motel is one hell of a closer. Gorgeous lyric and arrangement.

Finally hearing Madame X today, with trepidation. I liked Rebel Heart a fair amount, and this new one seems to be pretty divisive. She's kind of caught between doing the same old same old and being ignored, or trying for something a little more ambitious and falling on her face.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:30 PM   #650
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:18 PM
Loved my first listen to Western Stars. Man, the chorus of "There Goes My Miracle" is really something else for Bruce. The Roy Orbison influence coming through. The album as a whole definitely makes me smile.
GirlsAloudFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #651
Blue Crack Supplier

“Stones” is really lovely.

Second half of the album is superior.
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #652
War Child

Local Time: 07:18 PM
Didn't think it was still possible given his catalog, but "Moonlight Motel" just might be the most gorgeous, and heartbreaking, thing he's ever done.
The John Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:36 PM   #653
Blue Crack Supplier

Def get Valentine’s Day vibes from it, and that’s prob in my Boss Top 10.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:06 PM   #654
45:33

Local Time: 05:18 AM
I listened to it, it's got some really good songs on it. I know I harp on about this, but imagine if U2 rolled out records like this, instead of doing what they do. Ugh. Anyway. I find a lot of the song titles and lyrics to be pretty on the nose, like the sort of thing someone would come up with if they were taking the piss out of Bruce, but he pulls it off anyway.

Songs I liked: The Wayfarer, Drive Fast (The Stuntman), Sundown, There Goes My Miracle, Moonlight Motel.

The Wayfarer's staccato-y piano at the start reminds soooo much of another song, but I can't think of what.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:35 PM   #655
Blue Crack Supplier

I get what you're saying with the U2 comparison in terms of consistency and Bruce not embarrassing himself.

Having said that, there are several songs off SOI and SOE that for me surpass anything on here, easily.

I'm not sure what carries more weight.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:11 PM   #656
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I get what you're saying with the U2 comparison in terms of consistency and Bruce not embarrassing himself.

Having said that, there are several songs off SOI and SOE that for me surpass anything on here, easily.

I'm not sure what carries more weight.
This is fairly dead in with my feelings.

The last two U2 albums have some tremendous highs, but at what cost?

Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bruce, bruce springsteen, high hopes, springsteen