Springsteen VIII - 2014, tour, album, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From backstreets.com

In that vein, Landau fills me in on something else in the works: downloadable concert recordings. Plans aren't totally hammered out yet, but it's something they want to try, potentially after each show, and he says Bruce is on board with the idea. Active discussions are ongoing and in the logistics phase; there are even hopes to make something happen in time for the next leg. Landau clearly understands that this is something hardcore fans have been clamoring for. (Though after fans, for years, have continued to point to what bands like Pearl Jam have been doing, would you believe it was a conversation Bruce had with Rob Thomas that greased the wheels? Well, whatever it takes.) "We're trying to keep the surprises coming," Jon says. "I think we are."

Yeah, I read that. Obviously a long time coming and would be most awesome. I would also hope, if it goes well, that they offer downloads for past shows as well. He's recorded a ton going back to the Born In The U.S.A. tour. That would be fucking incredible.

Lots of cool things being brought up now that get me excited, more so than this album. The downloads, The River box set, and the talk of lost albums. The one from 1994 has always intrigued me. A whole album in the same vein as Streets Of Philadelphia. I'd love to hear how that came out.

watch

I have been saying for sometime that he has turned into a parody of himself.

This album is all over the place, but that's to be expected when the source material is from different parts of the last decade.

I don't like how it is being presented as a new album because of that. It just doesn't gel very well, but contains some very good songs. Frankie Fell In Love is excellent and sounds like it could have been on The River. It's great to get studio takes of Dream Baby Dream and the electric Ghost Of Tom Joad. Morello adds a great guitar solo to American Skin but there are parts of the original that sound a little better. Harry's Place is cool and wouldn't be out of place on Wrecking Ball even though it's from The Rising sessions. And Hunter Of Invisible Game is fantastic.

It reminds me of the bonus disc to The Essential Bruce Springsteen compilation. As that's really what this is - a compilation of songs from the last ten years or so.

My biggest problem as well: It just doesn't feel like an album. These songs are all over the place.

That being said, I did catch myself enjoying it. Probably a 3/5.

Yeah, I'd have to agree.

I'm looking forward to watching the bonus DVD of the BITUSA songs from the 2013 tour.

I really liked the album. Very few clunkers and overall a pleasant continuation of Wrecking Ball's production style. The guitar solo in Ghost of Tom Joad is glorious.

It's like the 14th best Bruce album, but whatever.

Can we take a moment to appreciate the fact that there is a song on this album that sounds like the sequel to "I'm on Fire"?

"Down in the Hole" :drool:

Yep, those two are my favorites on this album that I didn't already know. Also really love the cover closer.

Finally gave this a listen. There are some great tracks on here, especially Down in the Hole, and I appreciate the "fuck off, I'm having fun" vibe of Frankie Fell in Love. I was really digging Tom Joad as well until Morrello spews possibly the most self-indulgent and needless guitar solo I've ever heard all over it. So overall a mixed bag, I suppose.

:up: Good record, indeed the second half is superior, the stretch of songs HOIG/Tom Joad/The Wall (a Dylan impression vocally on that one?) in particular works well. The album drops a little with Down in the hole/Heaven's wall after the punch of first four songs but picks up with Frankie/Sword song.

Highlights : the three songs with the best Morello solos, ie the title track, American skin and Tom Joad. Frankie is the one I keep replaying the most.

I'm going back through a lot of Bruce's catalogue, and now listening to Tunnel of Love, I'm surprised that Brilliant Disguise has been the de facto "best of" song when Tougher than the Rest is such a stellar track.

Finally gave this a listen. There are some great tracks on here, especially Down in the Hole, and I appreciate the "fuck off, I'm having fun" vibe of Frankie Fell in Love. I was really digging Tom Joad as well until Morrello spews possibly the most self-indulgent and needless guitar solo I've ever heard all over it. So overall a mixed bag, I suppose.

Well the origins of this version of Tom Joad came from a one off live situation where Morelo was supposed to be showing off, so as this studio version is more or less an exact copy of the live versions, thus then... yea.

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

I'm going back through a lot of Bruce's catalogue, and now listening to Tunnel of Love, I'm surprised that Brilliant Disguise has been the de facto "best of" song when Tougher than the Rest is such a stellar track.

Ain't Got You/Tougher Than the Rest is one of my favorite starts to any Springsteen album. It's such a great introduction to Bruce's mindset at the time and you can hear the machismo being slowly peeled away over the course of the album, until Valentine's Day, which is one of his most vulnerable tracks.

Last edited:
Personally I find One Step Up to be about as wrenching a song as Bruce has ever made. Maybe The River and a handful of others trump it in that regard.

I have so many favorites from that album, it's hard to choose. One Step Up is it, some days.

Best on Tunnel Of Love for me is the closer Valentine's Day. A beautiful, moving track. But as Ashley said there's so many good ones on that album.

Unpopular opinion, but this blows Born In The U.S.A. out of the water, even with only a minimal E-Street Band presence.

It's my 3rd favorite album of his, which is saying a lot. But my favorite album is still BitUSA.

Unpopular opinion, but this blows Born In The U.S.A. out of the water, even with only a minimal E-Street Band presence.

Agreed. The emotional arc apparent throughout the album is powerful and makes it worth listening to in full every time, despite the presence of a few weaker tracks.

Back
Top Bottom