Springsteen VIII - 2014, tour, album, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right?

rsydyqa0va1hfaydfm9b_zpsbvlsv3xq.gif

Saw Bruce Springsteen on Saturday night. Before I get into a bit of a review, I’d like any of you to tell me you’ve seen Bruce in a more spectacular setting than this:

HangingRockBruceSpringsteen.jpg

I missed the first half an hour due to a meeting I had running over time, so the first six songs. Blinded by the Light I went to take a piss, then was in the thick of it from Spirit in the Night onwards.

For me the highlights were Wrecking Ball (that song rocks and the Irish influences sound so great), Youngstown (fucking rocked, was loud and aggressive), Johnny 99 (fun as hell), The Rising (still so wonderfully uplifting), Rosalita (had the crowd going nuts), Bobby Jean.

Other thoughts… the studio version of Hungry Heart is actually pretty nice, better than the live version. Glory Days is heaps of fun live. During Born to Run it started raining, that was amazing, and what a tune, I will never ever get tired of that song, also up there with Heroes and Dreams for best song ever claims. Dancing in the Dark was played with synths, not guitars/horns like last tour, and is still fucking stellar, I enjoy the hell out of it. And the joy of seeing Bruce pull up a bunch of people in the front few rows to dance with Jake, Steve, Max, Patti, is fucking infectious, just makes you smile like hell. 10th Ave is possibly his most underrated song, I don’t know how that doesn’t get more love than it does. They showed a heap of old pictures of Clarence after the “big man joined the band” line (although it’s not as poignant as the last tour, when they stopped the music altogether and they all look up at the screen in tribute). Will also never tire of the “you’ve just seen the…… E Street Band!” bit, that’s so great. Bobby Jean was the closer, and it was awesome, and then Bruce did a solo acoustic Thunder Road, which was nice enough but kinda felt like a bit of a slap in the face, there’s a million other songs he’s got that he could close with acoustically to give Thunder Road a proper treatment.

But the big highlight was obviously Jungleland. Was not expecting it at all, and would have been fine if it didn’t appear as I’d heard it on the last tour, but it’s one of my all-time favourite songs. I went absolutely nuts screaming and singing the lyrics, a shame that many around me didn’t seem as into it as I was. It was more like a festival atmosphere (and people had been there since 2pm, Jet was one of the openers ughhh) so you had people drunk as fuck and making noise during the quiet parts of Jungleland, but in the end it didn’t matter, the song is that good. Fucking amazing.

On the whole, a great show, but nowhere near as good as the 2013 tour. I know Little Steven is sacrosanct, but Tom Morello was streets ahead. Mr Van Zandt looks and sounds pretty haggard and though it was really heartwarming seeing the connection between him and Bruce and the crowd (he’s got quite the fan club), Tom Morello had way more energy. The music was pretty much equal but I really missed the heavier renditions that the 2013 had like Ghost of Tom Joad, Death to My Hometown and a few others. There was also a bigger band on that tour, the sets were structured better and the arena was actually better too. And I really miss Waitin on a Sunny Day, that was an absolute highlight every show on that tour.

I must listen to the Tom Joad album.

I think it just misses my Rushmore.

Jungleland
Born to Run
Meeting Across the River
I'm on Fire

Also, Born to Run >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Born in the USA

Also Patti wasn't on stage, cobbler :tsk:

That was my least favourite Springsteen show of the 5 I have seen, although it was nothing to do with the performance....it was the drunk and disorderly and the fight that broke out during I'm Goin' Down around me that ruined it.

If he comes back again I'll make sure I hit up the AAMI Park or Arena shows...just not a big fan of these Day On The Green/Hanging Rocks....even though the venue is spectacular.

Atlantic City remains my white whale.

Who was the chick playing violin then?

Whereabouts were you? We were a fair way back and a bunch of blokes were jumping of eskies into inflatable couches around us.

There's so many shit songs on the latter. Honestly if you were going to satirise Springsteen you couldn't do a much better job.

Still a handful of truly great songs - Downbound Train through Bobby Jean is a great run, and I absolutely adore the title track and Dancing in the Dark - but most of the rest I can't stand.

If Tom Morello knew more than one riff, you might have a point.

But either way, I always like to hear about people enjoying Springsteen.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

All of this.

Preferring Morello to Little Steven as an E Street guitarist is silly, but hey, opinions.

Whereabouts were you? We were a fair way back and a bunch of blokes were jumping of eskies into inflatable couches around us.

Dad & I had seats about 4 rows away from the front GA section.

Reckon I saw Gil McLachlan in the GA pit. He left before Thunder Road.

Smooth sailing for us. Got out of the car park pretty easily, got held up where people were turning off for Melb, but got home by about 12:30 (it's roughly 2 hours from Shepp.)

I'm watching their 09 Super Bowl performance, fucking hell how they managed to distill everything that has been great about them for 40 years in 12 minutes is beyond me.

If I go to another Bruce gig in my future I will make a sign for Meeting Across the River.

When I said today that Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out is his most underrated song, I was lying. Meeting Across the River is his most underrated song. It's so beautiful, and no one gives it the time of day. :(

Back
Top Bottom