Springsteen VI ~ A Dream Awaits in Aisle Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best part about that whole misinterpreted thing was when Ronald Fucking Reagan tried to co-opt it without having any idea what it was about.

They're already doing it to We Take Care Of Our Own, I read some article last week where the guy tried to say it was some sort of ode to conservative values. Huh? I also read that we take care of our own was some well known news clip in New Orleans after Katrina, a woman said it when there was looting going on. Something like that.

I think it's rather obvious with the New Orleans references, the cavalry, the road to good intentions and all that what he's really intending. Maybe it's only a matter of time before some GOP candidate uses that one and has no idea.

if i made a top 10 list, downbound train would be on it.

i didn't actually grow up with those songs. born in the usa came out the year i was born, and up until i was 14 i refused to like any music that wasn't the beatles. but i'd be lying (and headache may or may not remember enough to refute any revisionist history i may come up with) if i said i didn't get sucked in by some accelerated nostalgia factor and really like 90% of that album right off the bat when i started listening to springsteen. downbound train, i'm going down, glory days, no surrender, my hometown, are pretty much the only songs on it i'm liable to listen to anymore. but i really did love everything that wasn't cover me when i first heard it in some kind of warped, accelerated mainstream discovery of springsteen about 2 decades late (two from when that album came out, i think? the group london calling performance at the grammys, whatever year that was. even though little steven's solo kind of seemed out of place). then i heard all the other albums and realized that the author of some book i read pretty much hit the nail on the head in terms of describing born in the usa, and i'm paraphrasing, that even if you disregard the dated sound (which definitely exists), it's a good collection of songs. it's not really a very good album.

Will I see you tonight?!
On the downbound train?!
Every night, EVERY NIGHT
Is just the same
On the downbound train

Oh wait, not that song.

And Born in the U.S.A. is actually my favorite Springsteen album, so to each their own, I suppose.

I grew up with that album, so I've remained quite fond of it. The only song I really despise is Cover Me. The early version is far superior.

I listened to WOAD the other day for the first time since, well, since it first came out I guess. Such a shame after those first two great songs how it craps out. I'd say I like five songs total from that album, not including The Wrestler:

Outlaw Pete
My Lucky Day
What Love Can Do
Tomorrow Never Knows
The Last Carnival

That's probably the lowest amount of likable songs on one album for me, along with Joad.

I would pretty much only keep Outlaw Pete, My Lucky Day, Life Itself and The Last Carnival.

Heh, and I like "Cover Me". My mom used to play that song a lot around the house.

I haven't heard Working on a Dream yet, so can't say anything about that one.

Mofo, I've done that same thing before with that song as well :D.

I grew up with the songs as well. I was 12 when the album came out, and I enjoyed the stuff on the radio as much as the next kid (my musical taste was pretty open-minded even then as I was really into stuff like Madonna and "breakdancing" music as well) But you know, there is music from that area that I know isn't necessarily "good" but I get enjoyment in a guilty pleasure sense, like with Duran Duran for example. But something like that, from a major, "serious" artist like Bruce, in retrospect it sounds really fucking cheesy.

And I fully get that. I definitely understand, within the context of Bruce's other works, why many would listen to that album and go, "Ehhhhhhh...". You can forgive Culture Club for being cheesy, 'cause, well, they always are, but yeah, Bruce is supposed to be more serious.

It is funny how the '80s in particular (and the '90s, to some extent) often gets dismissed for how dated its music sounds. The other decades, if something sounds "of its time", it's almost got a charm to it because it sounds so of that era. I know the main reason is that the '80s had more of that synthy stuff and whatnot creeping in, but hey, it was a new technology at the time, and most artists wanted to try out whatever was available. I can't really fault them for that.

Now you look at Tunnel Of Love, and it's a a much less dated album (the title track aside). It's also a more mature one from a writing perspective. It's not as "catchy" overall, but it's a far more substantial work.

And as such it might take some more time to appreciate. Which was the case with me at first. But that's why those albums tend to be so much more rewarding in the end.

One should make a list sometime of the absolute best breakup albums ever. There's a crapload of those in music history. Nothing says "inspiration" like being dumped/dumping someone else, apparently.

We all did.

I've no doubt :).

It is funny how the '80s in particular (and the '90s, to some extent) often gets dismissed for how dated its music sounds. The other decades, if something sounds "of its time", it's almost got a charm to it because it sounds so of that era. I know the main reason is that the '80s had more of that synthy stuff and whatnot creeping in, but hey, it was a new technology at the time, and most artists wanted to try out whatever was available. I can't really fault them for that.

The funny thing is, Prince's 80's material sounds totally of its time. But because the guy was so innovative, it doesn't bother me to hear it today. In the case of Bruce, he's just appropriating current production/instrument trends, and it doesn't sound organic to his aesthetic.

One should make a list sometime of the absolute best breakup albums ever. There's a crapload of those in music history. Nothing says "inspiration" like being dumped/dumping someone else, apparently.

Well I would definitely nominate Peter Gabriel's Us for that list, which is just brutal at times in its honesty. He even included an inscription to his ex (Rosanna Arquette) in the liner notes, apologizing for his behavior.

I made a personal list of best breakup albums once. Every one got on me for not having Blonde on Blonde on there. I still haven't heard it again to be able to rank it :reject:

tumblr_l9nvjcQnPF1qad5geo1_500.jpg

The only way to fix that is to drag a razor blade between those two lines.

Blonde on Blonde was the album I left off of my favorite Double Album's list.

It's not that I haven't heard either album, I just am NOT familiar with them at all. I should rectify that, I just never remember to do so when I'm trying to think of albums to listen to.

My two favorite Dylan albums, no question.

Also two of the most critically acclaimed albums ever, as I'm sure you're aware.

Highway 61 and Freewheelin' are my top 2.

Blonde on Blonde is awesome, I just never feel like listening to the entire thing as often as maybe a half dozen of his records. I play certain songs from it all the time.

I'm not a fan of any of the acoustic albums, unless you want to include John Wesley Harding. I don't dislike them, but I never reach for them.

My favorites are Highway 61, Blood on the Tracks, and Oh Mercy, though I usually listen to the latter as a custom playlist with a few tracks he idiotically left off. I guess one could also include Positively 4th Street on the former, which would make a masterpiece even more amazing.

Blonde On Blonde blows me away, but there does seem to be a decent amount of filler on there. Nothing bad per se, but the later tracks don't stand out as much as the first half (Sad Eyed Lady notwithstanding).

Freewheelin' is the most charming, lovable album I've ever heard. And it's Bob fucking Dylan we're talking about here, who seldom falls into either category.

Charm can be deceiving; its dragged Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ near the top of my Bruce list. But I just don't care, I feel so happy when that album is playing.

My two favorite Dylan albums, no question.

Also two of the most critically acclaimed albums ever, as I'm sure you're aware.

Oh, geez, looking at the tracklisting of Blood on the Tracks, I know like every song on this. I have no idea why I feel like I don't know it. Listening now.

In retrospect, I'm not so sure I ever have heard Blonde on Blonde.

Oh, geez, looking at the tracklisting of Blood on the Tracks, I know like every song on this.

Even Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts? Dylan's worst lengthy song by far. I guess the story is cool but there's no tune, totally forgettable.

In retrospect, I'm not so sure I ever have heard Blonde on Blonde.

Rectify, STAT.

i think "my lucky day" is the only song off WOAD i'd keep. but that's only because it vaguely reminds me of the outlets' "knock me down again".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom