Springsteen VI ~ A Dream Awaits in Aisle Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'm alone in actually liking the lyrics to this, sure the geography of it isn't necessary, but it's not "out of nowhere" either. Great melody, and the simple construction of the song is clearly aimed at getting this heard by a lot of people. Normally I'd say that was pandering, but as song with a point to make I don't.

That said, I hope the lyrics to Wrecking Ball were changed, for what it was it worked but as the title track to an album?

Oh, yeah, it's a song about Amuurrrriica, so you've got to specifically name off the most populated cities therein, just to make sure we know where we are.

And let's comment on Katrina, 6 years later, because there aren't any examples of government negligence that have occurred in the meantime. Instead, let's just regurgitate talking points. Pick up the crumbs of past protests. Bruce has always been known for being way behind the curve, after all.

The song is pure box-ticking, plain and simple. It's a collection of angry liberal musician cliches, and while I agree with the message, there is virtually nothing illuminating to be heard here. And though I will agree that the melody is great, the production is pandering and glossy. No soul, no sense of urgency. Compare this to Nebraska and you'll want to vomit. Compare it to Working On A Dream and, OK, even I can't agree with Laz that it's inferior. But that's as far as I'll go.

I can not get enough of listening to how shitty Patti's singing is. I know that's mean, but I cry laughing every time I hear this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ugiufitm98

But I'd never watched the video before. Right after her horrendous solo at 14:31, Bruce does Clarence's intro and then the two of them dance together, and it's awesome. I really wanted to make it my avatar, but there's never a moment where you can see both of them clearly :(.

I decided to finally listen to the song she's snippeting there, "Rumble Doll". Oh my God. Cori, didn't you once say her album was the only CD purchase you've ever thrown away?

Linda, to be fair, didn't WANT to be in the band, however. At least according to that tried and true tome of her life, The Linda McCartney Story.

I decided to finally listen to the song she's snippeting there, "Rumble Doll". Oh my God. Cori, didn't you once say her album was the only CD purchase you've ever thrown away?

Ha! Hmmm ... I don't think I'd thrown it away. I probably threw it in the pile of books and CDs to take to Half Price Books.

That was me. :wave:

I saved the jewel case, though.

As I recall the anecdote, you said you bought the Cds based on who she was and after you heard it, we're so shocked by how bad it was you threw it away, because you didn't even want to bother taking it to a resale shop.

As I recall the anecdote, you said you bought the Cds based on who she was and after you heard it, we're so shocked by how bad it was you threw it away, because you didn't even want to bother taking it to a resale shop.

Oh I missed this post lol. Glad to know who it was XD.

Actually I did haul it around to stores for years but no one wanted it. I felt some weird guilt about throwing it away because (1) it's the Boss's wife and (2) I've always heard good things about her on a personal level from friends in the music biz who had met her but then it got ridiculous so I finally tossed it.

I always wondered what Bruce thinks when he hears her sing.

Had not heard the cheating rumor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom