Springsteen VI ~ A Dream Awaits in Aisle Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That reads to me like The Promise is the main point of this whole release. Really??? Those are the outtakes and B-sides and whatnot. They're treating it like it's a "new" release.

Why remaster if it's not the whole stinking point? Yikes.

I wonder if BB's price will be lower on Black Friday.

Yeah I think the consensus is that Best Buy has the best price. I guess it is kind of weird that they didn't release Darkness separately, but then again they didn't release the remastered Born to Run separately either. I really do not know what the business logic is behind the move.

I really haven't given it much thought b/c I am all about the DVDs and the outtakes. The remaster is definitely the least important part of the box to me. I am not old enough to have been alive when the album was released, so I heard most of those songs in their live form before I ever heard them on the studio release and IMO the studio versions don't even come close to comparing. They just lack the passion and intensity. Of course, I think that most "real fans" :)lol:) of Bruce don't listen to his studio albums anyway.

I have only had a chance to watch the 2009 Paramount Theatre performance of the album in sequence and I must say that it is FANTASTIC. Once I figure out how to rip the audio, I think this will serve as my "studio" album. I was slightly worried that Bruce's voice would really suck, and while it isn't perfect, it is good enough for him.

I have caught some of Houston and this was almost a let down after having seen the Paramount performance. It is completely awesome to see, but the sounds leaves a little something to be desired when compared with the outstanding bootlegs that exist from that tour. I might feel differently though after watching it at a better time than at 3am in the morning.

Oh jeez, I'd forgotten that about BTR, that the remaster was only in the box set. Huh. Okay, then. We see how it is, Bruce.

I was way more excited about the BTR box set than this one, but I'm enough of a Bruce fan to get it anyway.

Born to Run is by far my favorite album (both of all time and as compared with Darkness), but this box set still excites me more. I prefer the 1978 tour to the 1975 tour and just as whole this has so many extra "goodies" to go along with it. Actually one of the things that excites me the most is the notebook included with it. I am a big enough fan to find it fascinating to have the opportunity to pour over some of his notes on the songs from his original notebook.

Also, some people are noting that if you are a Borders Rewards Member (the free thing) then there is a 33% coupon out there that is good for a couple of days and that brings the price down a little cheaper than Best Buy. To me, getting this at $80 is a steal. I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it if it has been priced at $200.

Oh jeez, I'd forgotten that about BTR, that the remaster was only in the box set. Huh. Okay, then. We see how it is, Bruce.

I was way more excited about the BTR box set than this one, but I'm enough of a Bruce fan to get it anyway.

i have 2 copies of darkness already (vinyl and cd), but i want this thing. granted, it is one of my all-time favorite albums. i want it all in its glorious entirety. i'll check out the dvds, um, probably once? maybe? eventually, anyway. i still haven't taken a look at the thing that came with the born to run set, though, so maybe i should do that first (since we're all confessing to the things that make us bad bruce fans).

um...it's actually out now, right? because i couldn't find it at best buy, although i did see the just the promise cd-only set.

Yeah I think the consensus is that Best Buy has the best price. I guess it is kind of weird that they didn't release Darkness separately, but then again they didn't release the remastered Born to Run separately either. I really do not know what the business logic is behind the move.

Neither do I, and when this release was first announced I previously mentioned that the only puzzling thing about it was the fact that the remaster wasn't available separately. I realize the same thing happened with the BTR box, but then again that one could be bought for around $30 or so. Big difference this time.

Half of me wants to swing by Best Buy on the way to choir tonight and snag this sucker, and the other half of me wants to wait until Black Friday.

Which may mean a lower price, but it may not be, which means I face the shithole of Best Buy (and the traffic/parking hassles along with it) on Black Friday without anything to show for it.

:grumpy:

Amazon's price is now $79. Someone must have seen Best Buy's price!

I was going to go to Best Buy to pick it up, but I always like to check out the indie store downtown to see if they are price matching (and they usually are) because I like to support them as much as possible.

To my big surprise, they were selling the DVD version for only $62.99 and the Blu-ray for $82.99. I have not seen prices that come close to that anywhere else online. Needless to say, I bought my copy there. And on top of that, I got a free 8x10 lithograph with the purchase.

I love Bull Moose Music.

I am definitely looking forward to that. I really hope they don't play "Save My Love" but I figure that is inevitable.

Supposedly on Fallon he's going to be playing with Steve, Roy and The Roots.

That should be epic. They should do a song like Talk To Me.

Ordered. Thanks - shipping was ridiculously cheap. :)

It wouldn't let me use my Visa gift card, but for that price, I was willing to pay for it via other means.

When is this damn thing on again?

Fallon's show starts around 11:35 pm central standard time.

Which is 9:35 pm your time. The show is on for about an hour, but if you want you can skip the first 20 minutes or so because it will be Jimmy doing his monologue and playing some silly game with the audience.

Eh, the only thing we get live out here are award shows and sports games. :)

Looks like it's on at midnight out here on the west coast, martha.

For reeeeeeeeeal?

Damn. And I used to think I wanted to live on the West Coast someday. That whole TV time thing would really screw me up.

:lol:

It's the same as the east coast. Prime time is 8:00 - 11:00, then 11:00 local news, then whatever late night shows.

It messed me up, going from central time to west coast. I was all "Who the hell stays up until 11 to watch their shows? Why does prime time start at 8????"

Getting the Oscars live and getting to bed well before midnight was a big plus with the move, though.

Thanks, Cori. I'm still reeling a bit from this, though.

I don't know why I assumed that the TV shows just started two hours earlier out there, just because it is two hours earlier. Because now that I think about it, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever for prime time shows to start at 5.

But, to answer martha's original question, if it's the same as the East Coast, then Fallon's show will be starting at 12:35 out there. Right?

I need to lie down.

This was just posted on Bruce's Facebook page:

Don't forget to watch Late Night With Jimmy Fallon TONIGHT on NBC at 12:35 am ET. Jimmy spends the full hour with Bruce including two songs with Little Stevie, Professor Roy & The Roots.

GAF, the West Coast is the same as the East Coast. So basically you're the odd one out.

And don't even get me started on Mountain Time. Fucking freaks.

I remember when I moved from Wisconsin to Seattle, and we stopped in South Dakota for the night. It was Sunday, and I was going to pitch a hissy if I missed the X-Files. But I couldn't figure out what stinking time zone we were in, so I didn't know if we had to be back in the hotel room after dinner by 7 or not. I might have had a road-weariness induced tantrum. A tiny one.

Yeah, my ABC listings show Nightline at 11:30, and Kimmel from 12:05 - 1:05. For what it's worth.

Yeah, my ABC listings show Nightline at 11:30, and Kimmel from 12:05 - 1:05. For what it's worth.

Bruce is on Jimmy Fallon tonight, not Kimmel.

It can definitely be confusing having two of the five main late night hosts with the same first name.

They should have a duel to the death (with swords) to see who gets to be the late night host with the name Jimmy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom