Springsteen VI ~ A Dream Awaits in Aisle Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i've gotten over concert dvds kind of like i've gotten over acquiring ridiculous numbers of show bootlegs for various reasons. but this i want. springsteen is always the exception.

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN & THE E STREET BAND
LONDON CALLING: LIVE IN HYDE PARK

1. London Calling
2. Badlands
3. Night
4. She's The One
5. Outlaw Pete
6. Out In The Street
7. Working On A Dream
8. Seeds
9. Johnny 99
10. Youngstown
11. Good Lovin'
12. Bobby Jean
13. Trapped
14. No Surrender
15. Waiting On A Sunny Day
16. Promised Land
17. Racing In The Street
18. Radio Nowhere
19. Lonesome Day
20. The Rising
21. Born To Run
22. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
23. Hard Times (Come Again No More)
24. Jungleland
25. American Land
26. Glory Days
27. Dancing In The Dark
28. Music under end credit sequence: Raise Your Hand

BONUS MATERIAL:
The River: Glastonbury Festival, 2009
Wrecking Ball: Giants Stadium, 2009

looks like brucespringsteen.net has changed the dvd setlist and included rosalita

Great News its back on!!! It's now a full concert, sweet!!!
Can't get enough of these guys!!!

Anyone reckon Bruce could have a new release out by the end of the year?
another solo record?! he seems to back in the limelight lately. appearing with the Rascals and other benefit gigs.

I don't see a new release this year. It's been said lately that the two releases for 2010 would be a WOAD tour DVD, which we now know, and the Darkness project. Of course, at this point I'm not holding my breath for that one to make it this year.

i'd like it as well but i think that was kinda a one off thing. i mean could he really do more folk songs? unless maybe he did an album of irish folk songs... which would be kinda awesome now that i think of it.

i approve.

That would rock. Hell, American Land was pretty much already an Irish folk song.

I'd like some rock and roll, please.

Yes.

Radio Nowhere was a good attempt. More of that, less mindless geezer pop like Girls In Their Summer Clothes and Queen Of The Supermarket. I love that sound, but not from the guy who wrote The River and Atlantic City. I think, of all the possible career directions he could have chosen with Working On A Dream, he picked the absolute worst one. Even synthpop would have been better; would have anyone complained about a 21st century BITUSA?

I'd like some rock and roll, please.

Won't happen until the next E St. record.

Radio Nowhere was a good attempt. More of that, less mindless geezer pop like Girls In Their Summer Clothes and Queen Of The Supermarket. I love that sound, but not from the guy who wrote The River and Atlantic City. I think, of all the possible career directions he could have chosen with Working On A Dream, he picked the absolute worst one. Even synthpop would have been better; would have anyone complained about a 21st century BITUSA?

BITUSA is synthpop? Let's not get carried away. Dated 80's synth aside on a few tracks, it's a great rock record.

And that's really the last time he released an album that really rocked, in my opinion, which is why I'm not holding my breath on another album like that. Other albums have had their moments, but nothing like those early records.

On the other hand, he actually recorded an album in the early to mid 90's that was quite like Streets Of Philadelphia, with synth and electronic drums. Considering that the two songs to see the light of day from that time period are outstanding (Streets, Missing), I'd love to hear that one someday. I find it curious that nothing from it appeared on Tracks, which makes me think it will come out at some point.

I think what he meant was that BITUSA was Bruce's attempt to go with the sound of the era. The sound of this era is synthpop.

girls in their summer clothes is a great tune, damn it.

:hi5:

Re: what phanan said above and the synth 80s sound. I have no idea why I like BitUSA and dislike so much of The River, even though they have the same sound with that synthy thing.

I guess I just like the songs better on BitUSA?

I don't think the sound of The River is anything like BITUSA.

Now excuse me while I exist the thread without explaining myself ;)

I think the rockers on The River are very similar, which was what I was talking about last night. Ramrod, with that keyboard riff, could have easily been on BITUSA.

The other songs, not so much.

It is a great tune. I don't know how you compare it to Queen of the Supermarket.

I agree that Girls In Their Summer Clothes is a little better, but just because you enjoy one doesn't mean the two can't be similar. I think we learned this from IYS' Forgiveness Rock Record bashing. Both songs are swaying, overblown, slightly creaky bids for youthful pop supremacy that show Bruce fighting against everything he does well at this stage in his career, as well as horrendous, synthetic production. I really, really hate Brendan O Brien.

Both songs are swaying, overblown, slightly creaky bids for youthful pop supremacy that show Bruce fighting against everything he does well at this stage in his career, as well as horrendous, synthetic production.
I completely disagree. I think they're pretty damn different.

:hi5:

Re: what phanan said above and the synth 80s sound. I have no idea why I like BitUSA and dislike so much of The River, even though they have the same sound with that synthy thing.

I guess I just like the songs better on BitUSA?

I feel the same about The River. I reckon it is the mixing. There is hardly any bass whatsoever in the sound. BITUSA suffers similar, but not as much. The River sounds very tinny. If it was remixed with more bottom end then I reckon it would sound a lot more in-line with the rest of Bruce's catalogue. As it is, it will always be an outlier for me.

Yeah, that's part of it for me, too. I don't know much about music production and mixing and whatnot, I just know that I don't find The River rockers pleasant to listen to.

Tinny is exactly what springs to mind when I even just think about those rockers on the album with that synthy sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom