Springsteen VI ~ A Dream Awaits in Aisle Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposedly The Promise (the 2CD outtake set) has leaked.

Will have to check when I get home.

It is now streaming on Sony's website for some strange reason in alphabetical order. I'm sure somebody will rip it but haven't come across that yet.

Sony Music Media Delivery

Edit: Totally missed the post above mine. LOL.

In other news, Bruce was looking good last night at the London premiere.

GYI0062246073.jpg

Yeah, I noticed that. Haven't had a chance to listen to everything yet, but like you said, it will be ripped quickly enough.

And I'm loving that The Way is confirmed as a bonus track. I've always loved that outtake.

Has anyone found a good pre-order price? All I've seen is the $85 or something on Amazon. I'm assuming it might be cheaper in-store at Best Buy or something on release date. I didn't see it up on Best Buy's site yesterday, but I know they're usually good for decent release-date sales.

Yeah I still trying to decide if I am going to do Amazon or wait to buy it at Best Buy on the day of. The prices seem to have dropped a number of times, but I think $85 has been the lowest and that hasn't moved in a while.

15 of the tracks are now streaming on NPR --> First Listen: Bruce Springsteen, 'The Promise' : NPR

Also, for those that don't frequent Springsteen boards and want a link to download the whole "leak" let me know. Not sure what the rules around here are about just posting it so not going to.

Yeah, you gotta PM that up.

I'd be interested. I think I'll be buying it as a Christmas gift when I go home, but in the meantime I'd enjoy listening to it.

Yeah I still trying to decide if I am going to do Amazon or wait to buy it at Best Buy on the day of. The prices seem to have dropped a number of times, but I think $85 has been the lowest and that hasn't moved in a while.

15 of the tracks are now streaming on NPR --> First Listen: Bruce Springsteen, 'The Promise' : NPR

Also, for those that don't frequent Springsteen boards and want a link to download the whole "leak" let me know. Not sure what the rules around here are about just posting it so not going to.

clancy3434 at gmail dot com... please :flirt:

thanks for e-mailing it to me...

only had a rough listen on my drive in to work... candy's boy is, um, strange... as in strange to hear candy's room done like that.

the promise (the song) isn't nearly as good as it was on 18 tracks.

i'll have to listen to it more closely before i can really say anything else

I have listened to it off and on, but really haven't delved into it that much yet. Digesting 22 "new" songs is kind of a lot to wrap your head around in only a couple of listens.

Some of my favorites include: Breakaway, Ain't Good Enough for You, and Talk To Me

It is weird to hear songs that I am so familiar with done in a different way like Candy's Boy, Racing, and Come On (or whichever song it is that is Factory set to different lyrics)

Also, while it is nice to now have studio cuts of Because the Night, Fire, and Rendezvous these songs live are just as good and in the case of Because the Night are much better than on record that they are merely a curiosity.

I totally agree with you about The Promise (a song that I love lyrically) being the best solo on piano. The song just plods along too much when played in the full band format in my opinion.

It's not necessarily a bad thing. Yes, there are a couple of songs that sound like that album (and aren't that great), but for the most part, they are much better than what is on WOAD. A studio take of Because The Night, for example, is better than anything on that album, despite the fact that the vocals are new (although it doesn't come close to the '78 live versions).

I'll have a more in-depth review later.

This is how the lead vocals break down, as best as I can tell (some are obvious):

Racing In The Street '78
Outside Looking In
The Brokenhearted (has 2010 vocals at the very end)
Rendezvous
Candy's Boy
Ain't Good Enough For You
Come On (Let's Go Tonight)
Talk To Me
The Promise
City At Night
The Way

Gotta Get That Feeling
Someday (We'll Be Together)
One Way Street
Because The Night
Wrong Side Of The Street
Save My Love
Fire
Spanish Eyes
It's A Shame
The Little Things (My Baby Does)
Breakaway

For the ones with 2010 vocals, they vary in terms of how much overdubbing was done with the music. For example, to my ears Fire sounds exactly the same as the demo, and just had the vocals redone (and done well, I might add) because his original singing on that is mangled in places, as he didn't have all the words yet. Others sound completely new, but that could be due to not having heard them before.

So, going track by track here...

Racing '78 - commonly bootlegged alternate take, this is a fantastic version of one of my favorite Springsteen songs, although I think he made the right choice as to which version to use for Darkness

Get That Feeling - the new vocals aren't bad, but they were unnecessary. The original, unreleased version was just fine as is, and the background vocals are overdone here.

Outside Looking In - man, this sounds fantastic in released quality. Awesomeness.

Someday (We'll Be Together) - previously unknown song; certainly sounds new to me, but I have no proof if this was totally re-recorded or if the music was indeed from '78, but all the vocals, background vocals, and horns are new. Better than most of WOAD, that's for sure.

One Way Street - I don't mind the new vocals here, but again, the original unreleased one was just fine

Because The Night - the '78 demo was never finished before he gave it to Patti Smith, so it was either finish it or don't do anything. I think the vocals are pretty good here, and while the live versions blow it away, it's kind of what i was expecting for a studio verison. Short and simple.

Wrong Side Of The Street - 2010 vocals with 1978 music, or so I think. Sounds pretty good.

The Brokenhearted - good song, but kind of weird that it's all original vocals until the end, and then fades out with 2010 vocals

Rendezvous - this is the one song where I'm not fully convinced it's original vocals, but it sounds like it to me. Either way, it sounds great. Always loved this song.

Candy's Boy - the well-known alternate to Candy's Room. Almost the same lyrics, but a totally different melody. Awesome in its own right, with one of Danny Federici's best organ solos. Glad to see it released.

Save My Love - no thanks. Sounds like a WOAD outtake.

Ain't Good Enough For You - one of the highlights of the entire set; similar in vein to So Young And In Love from the same sessions (found on Tracks). Just amazing that he was kicking out these upbeat songs for an album like Darkness.

Fire - definitely the original 1978 music with a new vocal. Sounds fantastic - his voice came out great on this.

Spanish Eyes - another song with the 1978 music where I think his new vocal is better than the original, although I was never a big fan of the song itself. Nice to have though.

It's A Shame - this sounds like a song that he would've given away to Gary U.S. Bonds back in the day. With no bootlegged version to compare with, I don't know how much is new besides the vocals. Not a favorite of mine.

Come On (Let's Go Tonight) - often bootlegged alternate version of Factory. The violin sounds great.

Talk To Me - another highlight. I know it didn't fit in thematically on Darkness, but he never should have given this one away to Southside Johnny. Just a fantastic cut.

The Little Things (My Baby Does) - Save My Love, Pt. 2. It's not terrible, per se, but it's not something I'm going to listen to a lot.

Breakaway - by far the best of all the songs with new vocals. His voice is excellent here, and the song itself is incredible.

The Promise - the well-known outtake. I prefer it to the '98 solo version, although there's a different outtake that I think is superior.

City Of Night - the previously bootlegged outtake known as Taxi Cab. Sounds pretty much the same. Kind of a strange song for him, but I dig it.

The Way - hidden bonus track. One of my all-time unreleased faves. Don't know why it's only a bonus, but I'll take it.

I wasn't going to listen to any of them on NPR but I just listened to Fire. Yes his voice sounds quite good but all the hotness is removed from that song. It's like it was neutered :wink: I'm sure there are many versions of that song that I've never heard that might sound like that-but I like the one that I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom