Springsteen VI ~ A Dream Awaits in Aisle Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this is so cool. I've never owned a physical copy of the album before, can't really say why. It's the last Bruce album I got around to hearing and slowly becoming one of my favs.

fuck, that thing is so cool that even though i own two physical copies of the album, i can't wait to get my hands on it.

Electric Nebraska is like the holy grail of unreleased Springsteen. Add the Nebraska versions of songs that made it onto Born In The USA and you've got one hell of an outtakes set.

They could even do a full show from early on in the USA tour, when he was featuring Nebraska material quite heavily. Then, when it is time to do the USA box, they can feature a show from the latter part, which had quite the different setlist by 1985.

And this gives me big hopes for what they'll do with The River. Holy fuck, that will be an absolute monster.

:faint:

:lol:

but seriously. :faint:

phanan's springsteen posts are some of my favorite in here, because we agree on so much about what is awesome yet when you break it down to all the little details, let's see...we totally clash over which songs are the best, or think a song is awesome for the exact opposite reasons. or maybe i'm just kissing the guy's ass because i respect (or if you wanna call it jealous of how many times he's seen springsteen live and whatnot, probably that too) how he's been such a big fan for a lot more years than i'm able to claim. or just cos it gives me something to think about/scrutinize/fantasize/drool over the possibilities of. i don't know.

Heh, I'm good at coming up with all sorts of Springsteen possibilities. Yes, it's entertaining, I know. Too bad most of it never happens.

But this new set gives me hope that we've turned the corner regarding archival Springsteen releases.

I was reading about it in the Mad Men Rolling stone yesterday-does anyone know what the price will be? Is there just one version or is it that ridiculous deluxe, super deluxe crap?

RS mentioned that one song is available now on his site, I can't remember the name

Save My Love is streaming on the website. It's...ok. Sounds like a WOAD outtake because of the new vocals, although the music is good.

Hopefully there aren't too many that have "new" lead vocals on it. I'm fine with tinkering the music if it's needed, or even background vocals a la Thundercrack, but if it doesn't have a Bruce vocal from 77-78, I'm sorry, it's not the same.

As far as I know, The Promise will be released as a standalone 2CD package, and then the actual box set will be available with either DVD or Blu-ray.

The only other thing they should have done was made the actual Darkness remaster available separately as well. But other than that, I have no complaints.

Yeah, that's the clip they've had up on the main site for a few weeks. LOVE that little off-the-cuff piano rendition of Sherry Darling.

Save My Love is streaming on the website. It's...ok. Sounds like a WOAD outtake because of the new vocals, although the music is good.

Hopefully there aren't too many that have "new" lead vocals on it. I'm fine with tinkering the music if it's needed, or even background vocals a la Thundercrack, but if it doesn't have a Bruce vocal from 77-78, I'm sorry, it's not the same.

As far as I know, The Promise will be released as a standalone 2CD package, and then the actual box set will be available with either DVD or Blu-ray.

The only other thing they should have done was made the actual Darkness remaster available separately as well. But other than that, I have no complaints.

i don't really like the idea of tweaking anything with new vocals, or small overdubs i might not even notice.

So, I wanted to mention that I watched The Promise, the new Darkness documentary, when it premiered on HBO last week. Pretty fuckin awesome stuff. Intimate studio footage, lots of great moments. Watching it, and getting little glimpses and insights into the songwriting process of such a great artist, is really inspiring.

I watched it with a few of my buddies, all of us play decent guitar and make half-assed attempts at writing songs from time to time, and during and after the movie we kept saying "I really want to write some songs now."

I should have taken notes, but there was a bunch of stuff that I thought was just great. The description of Bruce crafting each song as a sort of "picture" or "image" or creating the album in an almost film-like fashion. And it was accompanied by some cool photographs of the massive landscape of the American west.

Anyway, I thought I'd bump this and see if anybody else saw it and what they thought of it?

Or, we could just talk about anything Bruce. Because that's always fun.

I just watched that last night! I liked it, although not as much as the Born To Run doc (maybe because I like that album more).

I'm waffling on getting the complete box set that's coming out. I don't know that I want the discs of outtakes and stuff, but I do want the concert DVDs. So I guess I'll be shelling out the big bucks for it.

For some reason, even though BTR is probably my favorite album ever by anybody, I've never seen that documentary for it. Is it pretty similar to the Darkness one, with all the studio footage? I need to track that down online or something, or maybe just buy the damned thing.

I just remembered a moment from the Darkness doc that I really loved. He's talking about this moment he had with his dad, meeting him at work and his dad couldn't hear him because of the sound of the machinery. And then they played the verse from "Factory" that references that. I never knew that song was so personal.

Yeah, the concert DVDs is what I really want from the box set. I can always illegally download the outtakes. :shh:

It's been a while since I watched the BTR documentary, but I believe it was similar, with interviews and studio footage, that sort of thing.

I should watch it again soon.

i forgot to dvr it. i was just going to watch it, but my direct tv box has died and there were housemates in the living room when it was on. so i wrote down all the other times it's supposedly airing so i can actually set the damn thing for one of them. eventually, i will see it.

I don't have HBO either, so I haven't seen it yet. Although I know they included some concert footage in it, and the '78 Houston show that is complete with the box is shown. Prove It All Night and The Promised Land are from it.

I don't post much but I'm just so excited! My cousin has an extra ticket for me she got in a presale for Joe Grushecky and Bruce at Soldiers & Sailors Hall in Pittsburgh. They are playing 2 dates, Nov. 4th & 5th. The place only holds a bit over 2000 people. The general sale is today on Ticketmaster at 10am if anyone is on here right now. Would have posted sooner but I just found this out. :hyper:

I don't post much but I'm just so excited! My cousin has an extra ticket for me she got in a presale for Joe Grushecky and Bruce at Soldiers & Sailors Hall in Pittsburgh. They are playing 2 dates, Nov. 4th & 5th. The place only holds a bit over 2000 people. The general sale is today on Ticketmaster at 10am if anyone is on here right now. Would have posted sooner but I just found this out. :hyper:

Have a good time. That is gonna be a blast!

Wish they were playing around here - I'd love to see Bruce in such a small venue. Have fun!

I'm a little surprised that doc hasn't shown up on torrents, unless I'm not searching for it correctly.

It has been up on Megavideo for a while now. Of course you have to do the whole, watch an hour and then wait an hour and come back and finish it unless you have a subscription, but it is better than nothing.

MEGAVIDEO - I'm watching it

Edit: Weird how that link posted, but I swear it is legit. Just click on the red "play" button. A pop up might appear, but then click on the green "play" arrow and it should work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom