Springsteen VI ~ A Dream Awaits in Aisle Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading some of the comments on Mike Appel's page, it reinforces the notion that this is it for the Big Man.

I didn't read it but honestly seeing him up close the one time I did this year, it made me wonder if he was even actually playing. It didn't appear that he was sometimes. It feels wrong to even think that or say it but it's just honestly how I felt.

:hmm: from a thread on BTX:

NEW INFO/Darkness Box Set
by clevelandboy on Dec 01, 2009 11:35 am

Don't ask me how I got my hands on this memo from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. But it includes news of a video to be included in the Darkness Box Set.

EXHIBIT UPDATE: On DECEMBER 3rd, in the BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN EXHIBIT, we are TEMPORARILY DEINSTALLING his main Fender Electric Guitar – 1952 Fender Esquire Neck and 1954 Fender Telecaster Body. Springsteen is releasing a box set devoted to his Darkness on the Edge of Town album and as part of the set, he is making a video and wants the guitar back to use in the video. He will be sending the guitar back to us to REINSTALL into the exhibit, tentatively, the week of December 14th. In the meantime, we will have an ARTIFACT TEMPORARILY REMOVED SIGN in that case, on the 6th floor.

This really looks to be happening :applaud:

It was always happening. It was just a matter of specifics to be ironed out, and Landau making up his freakin' mind on what should be included. Most of the work has been in the can for months. They have multiple shows to choose from as well.

Just please don't choose an early show like Phoenix. The latter half of that tour is legendary and deserves to be represented, whether it is Houston, one of the MSG shows, one of the Passaic shows, Agora, or Winterland.

Any one of those will do.

articleLarge.jpg

Wow, great performance by Eddie, The Boss seemed to really enjoy it too!!! I've always looked at Eddie as a younger version of The Boss! except for the grunge years obviously, They dress the same alot of the time, check shirts and they kinda sound the same deep, growling vocals and obviously alot of both there songs are politically charged aswell,

Two great musicians and people!!!
I don't think we'll see musicians like these again!! especially the way the music world is going, I seen a thread over on Backstreets which read I really think this guy could be the new Boss, I clicked in excited and curious, the thread was about Michael Buble!!! :barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf: ,

Anyway thanks for posting the videos, I had forgotten to check them out,

Anyone on hear reading Clarence's book, Big Man, I've just started its pretty cool so far, lotta LOL moments!

Mellencamp was just doing a Bruce impersonation-and Bruce looked like it was painful for him to listen to. I definitely give him credit for doing a Bruce song with Bruce in the audience, I give anyone major credit for that.

I loved Eddie's-he just did the song Eddie style and that's what they all should have done. And his fiance is beautiful. I've seen pictures of her but she's even more beautiful than she is in pictures.

Jon Stewart's speech was good :up:

The Springsteen survivor has finally reached its top 15, so I decided to make a post to kind of say a few words about the man, as well as make a top 15 of my own (I encourage the rest of you to do the same; I'm curious to see just how representative the survivor's top 15 really is).

I don't post in here a whole lot, partially because I became a huge fan in the past 6 months, well after the discussion for WOAD had begun to fizzle out, and partially because I couldn't afford to see Bruce myself, the insult to injury made by the fact that the E Street Band may be calling it quits soon. Though I've made myself scarce, I want to be a more regular presence in these threads, and I'm really excited for Bruce's future music. This decade ended on a low note with WOAD, but you can't ask for records more vital than The Rising and Magic at this stage in his career.

That being said, I'm definitely a bigger fan of his earliest work, and it really has always been that way. The Wild, The Innocent... kind of blew me away from the start, its skilled instrumentation giving me a good idea of what Bruce's band was capable of, and its freewheeling air offsetting the image I had of him being incredibly supercereal (thank you, Devils And Dust, which was the first Bruce album I ever heard, IIRC). Born To Run followed...I've always appreciated that album, even from the first listen. I knew that this was some epic shit. The rush of the title track, Clarence's solo in Jungleland...it seemed like a masterpiece. The thing is, you don't comprehend Bruce Springsteen's music, you feel it.

A couple years later, it all clicked. I turned 18, I fell in love, and finally it all started to make sense. Born To Run, both the song and album, don't really sink in properly until after you've experienced those lyrics for yourself. Thankfully, that album's sentiment is something we've all had the chance to experience for ourselves, and possibly long to get back to. In that way, I think Born To Run exemplifies the everyman quality that people love so much about his music; we've all been there, and even on listen #1, the album sounds nostalgic and lived-in.

Well, naturally, I opened my ears to the rest of his discography, some of it I was already quite familiar with, some not so much, but it all rang true, like I was hearing it for the first time. It's hard for me to wax philosophical about the rush I felt hearing The Ties That Bind and Lonesome Day for the first time because it's not something that's meant to be analyzed. Those songs just tap into some primal urge that makes you want to break out and really, truly live, you know? Best of all, he's got a fucking ton of it. As I worked out a top 15 in my head, I was overwhelmed by how many of his albums I loved, and it really hit me that after many so many years, I now place him in the pantheon of classic songwriters. I thought for the longest time that his music was overblown and naggingly sentimental, but it's the heart and feeling in his best work that causes it to appear that way, very much like U2's. Again, this is music you have to open yourself to, and that can be the most challenging of all to love.

Anyway, just some musings I had to get down on paper, or interweb tube. The best music is the kind you can write shitty, meandering essays about in your less lucid moments. Without further ado, here's my top 15, several years in the making:

1. Born To Run
2. Atlantic City
3. 4th Of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)
4. Candy's Room
5. Incident On 57th Street
6. Spirit In The Night
7. Backstreets
8. Lonesome Day
9. Nebraska
10. The Ties That Bind
11. Valentine's Day
12. Point Blank
13. I'm On Fire
14. Growin' Up
15. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)

A good chunk of those wound up making the finals, so yeah, I'm pretty OK with how it's gone so far. I don't think there's a chance of any disappointing finale at this point, as every track is pretty great.

Nice, LM. :up: I feel ya. And you're an excellent writer. That wasn't shitty or meandering at all.

I've never connected with a piece of art as strongly as I connected with the album Born To Run when I was a lonely, confused 16 year old kid. That shit spoke to me. It was the summer between my sophomore and junior years of High School and I was going through the typical angsty teenager stuff. Had my first big crush, was pondering the meaning of life, etc. My friends and I would go out and drive around town and get into trouble and I would come home and listen to Born To Run. Every single night that summer I listened to Born To Run. From start to finish. And then I would replay it until I fell asleep. Such a vivid time in my life and it will always be associated with those 8 songs, and with Bruce. That album kind of saved my life and is one of the biggest reasons why I love music so much.

Come to think of it, Bruce was my age now when he wrote the album. Maybe we ain't that young anymore.

25 years.

Born In The U.S.A. was my real introduction to his music, like most people my age. Being all of 14 at the time, I dived head first into his older albums and was originally taken aback by how they sounded, and then came to appreciate and ultimately adore those records more. None of my friends cared for him - high school was all about hair bands, and college was all about so-called "grunge" (always hated that term). I remember being asked what I saw in the guy, and I could never really explain it, other than to say that his songs took me to a place few other artists did (U2 and R.E.M. eventually fell into this category as well) and therefore had more of a connection for me than anything else.

I wasn't able to see him live until 1992, with the Human Touch/Lucky Town band (10 days before ZooTV - that August was a great month), and even though it wasn't E Street, the band had come together at that point and had put on a killer show; 33 songs and 3 hours worth. Seeing him live kind of set me off even more. I began to collect bootlegs of the most famous shows. I became a Backstreets subscriber in 1993. I'd read anything associated with him. While I'd been a fan for almost a decade by this point, I became a major Springsteen junkie at this time.

I can't recall off the top of my head how many times I've seen him live - it's over 10 at least. I'm sure I could figure it out. Each show has been special in its own way. But I really wish I had been old enough to experience him in the 70's and early 80's, specifically the Darkness and River tours. With the latter, it was one big party, with some of the longest shows he's ever done, topped off by his famous New Year's Eve show at Nassau Coliseum in 1980. 40 songs and four hours long. Let me repeat that - 40 SONGS. If you can imagine the ultimate house party with 15,000 or so people (or however many fit in that place), then this would be the prime example.

But it's that damn Darkness tour that represents the height of his live repertoire. It was 1978. It had been three years since Born To Run, which back then was an eternity. People began to write him off as a one hit wonder. He was going through what he called his own personal hell with the lawsuit between him and Mike Appel. So when he finally returned in 1978, he came back with a vengeance, with a determination that he's never had since, out to prove to everyone that he was here to stay. You watch and listen to some of those shows from that tour, and one word comes to mind - intensity. Yes, you experience it still at most shows that he does, even now, but it's never been like it was on that tour. That's why there is such a clamoring amongst die hards for the box set, which will include a complete 1978 show. For people who don't follow his live recordings too much and think Hammersmith is incredible, believe me, that show is nothing compared to what happened three years later.

As for a Top 15 list, much like U2, there's just no way to minimize Springsteen's career to that point, but I can at least give you a list of 15 songs that tend to move me the most. While I really dig the rockers, especially in a live setting, I'm mostly into the slower, character-driven epics.

In chronological order...

Lost In The Flood
Incident On 57th Street
Rosalita
New York City Serenade
Backstreets
Born To Run
Jungleland
Badlands
Racing In The Street
The River
The Price You Pay