Springsteen, Part IV - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #76
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:08 PM
Wow. That's really sad.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:17 PM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:08 PM

Wow. I thought he was getting better.

Oh, man. That is too bad. Sad news for Bruce and E Street fans.

Best wishes out to his family and friends.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:27 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:08 PM
Old 04-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #79
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:08 PM
Oh God.

I'm not really sure what to say, wasn't expecting this.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:54 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Fuck, I thought he was getting better, too.

Makes that night in Boston almost eerie now.

RIP
Old 04-17-2008, 10:56 PM   #81
Blue Crack Distributor

geez, what about the people who saw Indy, I'm kinda glad I didn't go to that show now, like I'd planned on.

That sounds bad, I mean, I don't know if I'd want to be at someone's last performance

Brucespringsteen.net:

DANNY FEDERICI

Danny Federici, for 40 years the E Street Band's organist and keyboard player, died this afternoon, April 17, 2008 at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City after a three year battle with melanoma.

The Federici family and the E Street family request that, in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Danny Federici Melanoma Fund. A web site for the Fund is being established and we'll post its link when it is on line.

Bruce Springsteen's concerts scheduled for Friday in Ft. Lauderdale and Saturday in Orlando performance are being postponed. Replacement dates will be announced shortly.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:58 PM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by bono_212
geez, what about the people who saw Indy, I'm kinda glad I didn't go to that show now, like I'd planned on.

That sounds bad, I mean, I don't know if I'd want to be at someone's last performance
Indy was a strange place to make an appearance. He must've known at the time he wasn't going to make it, and wanted one last appearance with the guys.

Wow, this is so sad.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:14 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

He must've known at the time he wasn't going to make it, and wanted one last appearance with the guys.

Ok, that just made me cry.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:16 PM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Sorry, Fitz...
Old 04-17-2008, 11:29 PM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

Old 04-17-2008, 11:38 PM   #86
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 04-17-2008, 11:42 PM   #87
Acrobat

from msnbc.com

NEW YORK - Danny Federici, the longtime keyboard player for Bruce Springsteen whose stylish work helped define the E Street Band’s sound on hits from “Hungry Heart” through “The Rising,” died Thursday. He was 58.

Federici, who had battled melanoma for three years, died at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. News of his death was posted late Thursday on Springsteen’s official Web site.

According to published reports, Federici last performed with Springsteen and the band last month, appearing during portions of a March 20 show in Indianapolis.
Story continues below ↓advertisement

Springsteen concerts scheduled for Friday in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and Saturday in Orlando were postponed after news of Federici’s death.

An invite to Springsteen
He was born in Flemington, N.J., a long car ride from the Jersey shore haunts where he first met kindred musical spirit Springsteen in the late 1960s. The pair often jammed at the Upstage Club in Asbury Park, N.J., a now-defunct after-hours club that hosted the best musicians in the state.

It was Federici, along with original E Street Band drummer Vini Lopez, who first invited Springsteen to join their band.

By 1969, the self-effacing Federici — often introduced in concert by Springsteen as “Phantom Dan” — was playing with the Boss in a band called Child. Over the years, Federici joined his friend in acclaimed shore bands Steel Mill, Dr. Zoom and the Sonic Boom and the Bruce Springsteen Band.

Federici became a stalwart in the E Street Band as Springsteen rocketed from the boardwalk to international stardom. Springsteen split from the E Streeters in the late ’80s, but they reunited for a hugely successful tour in 1999.

“Bruce has been supportive throughout my life,” Federici said in a recent interview with Backstreets magazine. “I’ve had my ups and downs, and I’ve certainly given him a run for his money, and he’s always been there for me.”

Federici played accordion on the wistful “4th Of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)” from Springsteen’s second album, and his organ solo was a highlight of Springsteen’s first top 10 hit, “Hungry Heart.” His organ coda on the 9/11-inspired Springsteen song “You’re Missing” provided one of the more heart-wrenching moments on “The Rising” in 2002.

Content on the side
In a band with larger-than-life characters such as saxophonist Clarence Clemons and bandana-wrapped guitarist “Little” Steven Van Zandt, Federici was content to play in his familiar position to the side of the stage. But his playing was as vital to Springsteen’s live show as any instrument in the band.

Federici released a pair of solo albums that veered from the E Street sound and into soft jazz. Bandmates Nils Lofgren on guitar and Garry Tallent on bass joined Federici on his 1997 debut, “Flemington.” In 2005, Federici released its follow-up, “Out of a Dream.”

Federici had taken a leave of absence during the band’s tour in November 2007 to pursue treatment for melanoma, and was temporarily replaced by veteran musician Charles Giordano.

At the time, Springsteen described Federici as “one of the pillars of our sound and has played beside me as a great friend for more than 40 years. We all eagerly await his healthy and speedy return.”

Besides his work with Springsteen, Federici played on albums by an impressive roster of other artists: Van Zandt, Joan Armatrading, Graham Parker, Gary U.S. Bonds and Garland Jeffreys.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:00 AM   #88
Acrobat

I'm really glad he was able to play in Indy, I'm sure it meant a lot to him and Bruce and all of the band. I had hoped it would be just the first of many returns....

Boston 2 will always be Danny's night...watching Nils play up next to Danny on his riser instead of out front, watching as the band all came over to watch him play, 4th of July, E St Shuffle, Kitty's Back....he played his heart out that night......and the crowd definitely let him know how much he was loved....
Old 04-18-2008, 12:30 AM   #89
Blue Crack Distributor

Bruce added a comment to the original Brucespringsteen.net post:

"Danny and I worked together for 40 years - he was the most wonderfully fluid keyboard player and a pure natural musician. I loved him very much...we grew up together."
—Bruce Springsteen
Old 04-18-2008, 12:59 AM   #90
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightsong
Boston 2 will always be Danny's night...watching Nils play up next to Danny on his riser instead of out front, watching as the band all came over to watch him play, 4th of July, E St Shuffle, Kitty's Back....he played his heart out that night......and the crowd definitely let him know how much he was loved....
It was indeed an amazing night.

Tags
bruce springsteen