Springsteen, Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I didn't know he was that ill. I thought he was taking some time off to take care of himself but I didn't realize he was anywhere near dying so I'm kind of shocked.

Really sad. :(

RIP Danny. :heart:

icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif

:sad: :sad: :sad:

March 20th, 2008;

Danny returns to the stage to rave reviews.

Indianapolis, Indiana

by Jason Federici

While my Dad was going through treatment on March 19th in NY, he was visited by Bruce and later Max, who, through a lot of talking, bribing, and begging (and finally the kicker -- Becky Weinburg, who came from NJ by boat that night) to persuade him to play, he agreed to do the show in Indy. The next thing we knew, we where picked up by a limo from Sloan-Kettering, joined by my dad's wife, Maya, Dr. Chapman and Virgina Murphy and we proceeded down FDR highway to an awaiting helicopter that whisked us away to Newark airport in about 8 minutes (a good time by all, except maybe Dr. Chapman who was gripping the arm rests like a baseball bat). Before we knew it, we were in the jet with the boys. Danny was greeted with a lot of hugs and smiles, to say the least. An hour and a half later, we pulled into Conseco arena. When my father stepped on stage the crowd started chanting "Danny! Danny! Danny!". You could physically feel the "Magic" in the air (excuse the pun). My father proceeded to do what he does best - rock out! He played with such a natural ease. The feeling of the evening was electric. The visible bond between the fellas was so special to watch. Nils spent most of the night next to him, Clarence kept turning around to give him props during the night, and Bruce was so visibly happy to have him there. I couldn't stop smiling all night. After the exciting encore, he left the stage, went straight to the car, then to the plane, and was fast asleep in NY by 2am. It really was like a dream. In the morning, over coffee, we looked at each other and realized the magnitude of the night. It was a great day! My father has always been such an inspiration to me, I can only imagine what an inspiration he is to others.

from http://www.thedannyfedericimelanomafund.com/news.html

:( :(

I heard the news on local CBS news radio/NYC tri-state last late night. :ohmy:
I've been sort of outta the loop b/c I don't have tix-so i haven't paying super attention to the tour.
I had NO IDEA he was ill, let alone THAT ill.

Unlike U2 shows I've had some DAMN FINE seats for Bruce & Co over the decades.........

There was one time we were 10th to 15th rows back stage off to Danny's side - :hmm:late 70's early 80's. What was SO COOL was we could HEAR the ONSTAGE amplification of his KEYBOARDS, not just the big overhead, or side monster amps. Also probably some of Max's droom work- it made us feel conected even as we didn't see as much of the bands faces as we usually would.

Strength to his fam, friends & bandmates.

Danny you'll be living on in the grooves and e-fields of music. +THANKS+ for your fine work. :heart:

well, it's almost over now

But VH1 Classic had a marathon of Springsteen material on all night in Danny's memory

Um, there is no show tonight. If you had tickets for the Tampa show, it's been rescheduled for tomorrow night.

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html

http://www.sptimesforum.com/

Bruce Springsteen's concerts scheduled for Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando and Tampa have been rescheduled at the same venues as follows. Existing tickets will be honored and more specific information is available on Ticketmaster and venue sites:

Ft. Lauderdale: Friday, May 2
Orlando: Wednesday, April 23
Tampa: Tuesday, April 22

Yeah... a few mins after I posted that, saw the notice about the show being moved up.... thanx, though! LOL... I woulda been lonely at the Forum.

I am really nervous about tomorrow....maybe nervous is the wrong word. Just the same, it is a highly anticipated event

BTX Fundraiser for Danny

Springsteen Fans Unite On Internet, Raise Thousands Of Dollars In Memory Of E Street Band Member Danny Federici

April 22, 2008

BOSTON, MA – Reeling from the tragic news that original Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band member Danny Federici passed away after a three-year battle with Melanoma last Thursday at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Hospital in New York, members of the Backstreets.com/Bruce Brunch radio/Internet community decided to channel their sadness into something productive.

The result has been a fund-raiser, which has already seen more than $8000 in contributions and counting.

It might seem peculiar that some rock and roll fans look forward to waking up early Sunday mornings. But over the last three years a growing, worldwide Internet community of Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band fans has been doing just that --- rising early Sunday morning and congregating on the message board of a popular Springsteen fan website, Backstreets.com, to listen to the Bruce Brunch.

As word spread, Springsteen fans ranging from 15 to 65 have joined the ranks of early risers to listen to the local radio broadcast or the simultaneous Internet stream of the two-hour show between 9:00 and 11:00 AM (Eastern) on New Jersey radio station 105.7, The Hawk. The Bruce Brunch was created three years ago and is hosted each week by longtime Springsteen fan and aficionado Tom Cunningham.

In an effort to do something special as a community, a small group of BTX Bruce Brunch regular listeners decided to use last Sunday’s Bruce Brunch as a platform to raise additional money for the Danny Federici Melanoma Fund, which is affiliated with Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and dedicated to the research and development of new and effective treatments for Melanoma

Since Saturday night, when details of the fund raiser were first posted on the BTX fan forum at Backstreets.com, more than $8,000 has been raised, with donations still pouring in. BTX Brunch-athon organizers said Tuesday they are "ecstatic over the overwhelming response" and are extending the fund-raiser for two more weeks.

Organizers hope to make a formal presentation of the funds raised along with a list of those who have contributed to representatives from both the Federici family and Sloan-Kettering in early May.

Many of contributors say that while they remain deeply saddened by Federici’s passing, this initiative has helped them begin the healing process with the knowledge they are doing something to honor Danny's life and music while also helping facilitate Melanoma treatment and research.

BTX member and one of the organizers of the fund-raiser, John J. Kelly of Boston said the idea to conduct this "Brunch-athon" was seen as a way to help ease the pain that he observed was being felt by everyone on the website.

"I first saw Danny perform at a Springsteen concert in Syracuse, New York, in 1978,” said Kelly, who was a freshman in college at the time. “Many of us have enjoyed Danny’s unique keyboard and accordion sound for 30 years or more so it’s only natural to feel a huge loss. It’s almost like the shock and sadness of losing a family member.”

Another organizer is Katherine Byrd, of Norfolk, Virginia. Byrd has been working tirelessly, tallying and keeping track of the donations, which have been come in from numerous countries all over the world.

"The E Street Band is why the Backstreets.com and BTX discussion board community exists," Byrd said. "We have raised money many times over the years for various charities.. With our hearts breaking over the untimely passing of one of the band's founding members, I am not surprised that so many BTX members wanted to do something to honor the heart of the E Street Band, Danny Federici."

In all, nearly 300 BTX members have made contributions in amounts ranging from a few dollars to several hundred, according to Byrd.

"I'm usually on-line for two hours every Sunday for the Bruce Brunch but this Sunday I was accepting donations for over 14 hours," Byrd added. "I finally just had to shut off the computer and go to sleep. I woke up the next morning and found another 17 donations waiting for me and I really don't expect them to stop anytime soon. We want to give everyone an opportunity to give what they can before we tally the final amount and write the check."

Many members of Backstreets.com's BTX community have commented on the "outpouring of love and affection" they've witnessed since the announcement of Federici's death. Sunday was no exception. Donations arrived while the Brunch was going on from Springsteen fans of all ages and from all parts of the world, including the United States, Canada, Europe and even Afghanistan, where one BTX member, a woman serving in the Armed Forces who is known as “Captain Nat” joins in the weekly music appreciation.

A third organizer of this fundraising effort, longtime Springsteen fan Susan McDonald of Dennisport, Massachusetts, said she found one contribution particularly moving.

"There is a 15-year-old Springsteen fan named Sarah who donated her entire weekly allowance in memory of Danny," McDonald said. "I just couldn't believe that someone that age would make that kind of sacrifice. I was so touched that she would do that, and it kind of summed up for me the caring nature of the Brunch crowd, and the diversity of ‘E Street Nation.’ What unites us is our love of Bruce's music and our need to celebrate Danny's life and music."

Organizers say they would like to continue to raise as much money as possible over the next two weeks and are encouraging all Springsteen fans to help out by going to: http://www.backstreets.com/btx/viewtopic.php?t=88430

For more information about the Danny Federici Melanoma Fund you can visit their web site at: www.thedannyfedericimelanomafund.com.

Kelly, what show are you going to?

Someone just posted on BTX that there is an accordian propped up against
the front of the organ - with a spotlight on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom