Springsteen, Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I really dont' like it that much either, I was pretty glad it opened THIS show :lol:

But I am fing pissed that he played I'm On Fire...the odds of him playing it in St. Louis, no matter how amazing my request sign is, are now quite grim :(

Driving to Nashville with two of best my friends from work (we were two professors and a dean from a public university in a small town on the Cumberland plateau) to see Springsteen on the Thursday before a new semester begins was kind of a big deal (“going with my boss to see The Boss” I posted on my Facebook page). Having scored mainfloor, general admission seats, we knew this would be an all day event. With some basic knowledge about Springsteen’s numbered wristband system and the lottery that determines who gets in “the pit,” we made sure to get there in time to collect our best chance in the form of thin black bands marked 506, 507, and 508. At 5pm, the already thick and sticky summer air wrapped us in sweaty fog of anticipation. A handsome guy in a hat got chosen to draw the magic number, and his fingers did not fail. We were within a coupled hundred of the first number. We would get to stand down front!

The hockey arena as concert hall has always been a challenge for me. While I knew that Bruce and the E Street Band could turn a massive stadium into a neighborhood saloon, I suddenly found myself gulping the sheer gravity of the high-proof realization that I would be as close to the band tonight as if I were seeing this show in actual barroom.

The ensuing hours passed rather quickly. Some fans got beers; others collected t-shirts, programs, and posters. People in the pit were polite; nobody packed it in too close. At 8:30pm, the house lights dimmed, and the communal roar rumbled across the room.

Being a real admirer of Springsteen’s legacy but situating myself somewhat short of being a hardcore fan made it possible to approach the show with an open mind that is sometimes hard to maintain with my more serious rock and roll obsessions. Luckily, I had others around me on whom I could lean with my questions about the setlist and the musically amazing denizens of E Street. In our trio, I was with someone who’d last seen Bruce in the 70s and another fan celebrating his tenth show.

For this cast of showmen to show up every night and kick it for three hours like they do (I clocked tonight’s set at 2:53) demands a delicate brew of musical levity and communal insanity, and Bruce is the best of rock and roll evangelists, taking a setlist as sermon and twisting it with shamanic witness. He’s as willing to testify with hits and standards as he is with the virtuosity of obscure fan favorites and a visionary choice of cover tunes. The added dimension of taking cues from the home-made posters brought by fans gives the entire show an interactive depth and endearing playfulness. Perhaps Bruce came to town tonight planning to play the late Joe Summer a birthday treat in the form of “I Fought The Law,” but it sure looked like a spontaneous, fan-inspired moment to us.

For me, 2008 has already been an epic year of rock and roll experiences—transformative, transcendent, and frankly tremendous in every way. There are always shows I want to see that I need to skip for personal or financial reasons, but the selections on my final list have been so stellar that it almost sounds boastful to give descriptive detail to the delights of the stratosphere that my sonic explorations have revealed. Watching a sweat-drenched Boss throw his arms to the heaven or make eye-contact with fans as individuals, we could peer inside the magical world of someone who’s dream is his career. An almost boyish playfulness inside this man takes us all from the healing baptismal pool to the fiery service where Bruce is a preacher in the good church of rock and roll.

Yeah, it's not his best and is a bit up and down but I'll take The River any day over Human Touch, Lucky Town, Tom Joad, Devils and Dust, and Magic.

Although obviously those are all written from different progressions of his career and different perspectives so it's hard to compare, but yeah you know what I mean.

I don't know squat about production and that stuff, but I think The River sounds very dated. Not as much as Born In the USA, but enough that it makes me notice it, so there you go.

The River is in my bottom five Bruce albums :uhoh:, just because of the vast number of throwaways on it. The songs I like on it though I REALLY like, so, there's that

I like The River. Sure, it's got some throwaways on it, but they are fun throwaways.

Indeed they are.

Yeah, it's not his best and is a bit up and down but I'll take The River any day over Human Touch, Lucky Town, Tom Joad, Devils and Dust, and Magic.

You'll take The River over Magic? The others I can understand, but Magic? Springsteen's best album in at least the last 10 years? :shakes head in disbelief: To each his own. :shrug:

I really wish he had come back to Detroit this fall. :slant:

You and me both. :angry:

Last edited:
Omfg, really, I don't know what else to say but omfg...I am laying here in my hotel room, I can't hear and I can barely move my legs, but I think that may poosibly have been the single greatest musical experience of my life to date.

Omfg, really, I don't know what else to say but omfg...I am laying here in my hotel room, I can't hear and I can barely move my legs, but I think that may poosibly have been the single greatest musical experience of my life to date.

Damnit, I thought I double posted. But in my defense, I was typing on my cell phone, and really I could NOT move lol. Even now, I really still can't move, I should've left an hour ago :lol: but this is the nicest hotel room I've ever been in by myself. Ok so it's the only hotel room I've ever been in by myself, but still.

Anyways, Setlist:

1. THEN SHE KISSED ME
2. Radio Nowhere
3. Out in the Street
4. Adam Raised a Cain
5. Spirit in the Night
(sign collection)
6. Rendezvous
7. For You (full band)
8. MOUNTAIN OF LOVE
9. Backstreets
10. Gypsy Biker
11. Because the Night
12. NOT FADE AWAY/She's the One
13. Livin' in the Future
14. Cover Me
15. Mary's Place
16. Drive All Night
17. The Rising
18. Last to Die
19. Long Walk Home
20. Badlands

21. Girls in Their Summer Clothes
22. Jungleland
23. Detroit Medley
24. Born to Run
25. Dancing in the Dark
26. American Land

27. Thunder Road
28. LITTLE QUEENIE

29. Twist and Shout

My comments so far, as c&p'ed from Backstreets:

I really don't know what to say. I have only been to one other show. But this just seemed like the absoulte greatest thing I have EVER seen. It was just so intense, and so electric, and amazing. I haven't looked back to see other people's reactions, but nothing could spoil the show for me anyways. Also, I've finally heard "Mary's Place" in person, not just a boot. I don't know how anyone can say that's boring when you're THERE. God, I'm still reeling from last night, so I can't quite get my thoughts in order. I left that concert unable to hear anything at all for 30 minutes, and even now I can barely hear, not to mention the fact that I can barely move my legs, and I honest to God couldn't be happier.

If I think of anything to add, don't doubt that I will :wink:

I had a friend at last night's show, and she kept sending me overjoyed text messages about how amazing the set list was. But she got so into the show that she forgot to call me :grumpy:

That's an insane setlist. Great show to catch, Ashley.

You know, there still hasn't been any announcement regarding a Darkness 30th anniversary set, but all these songs showing up on this leg that date back to that time make me think that he must have been listening to some of the shows back then, and hopefully that means he's picked one out for a Darkness set, because this shit has been insane.

Not Fade Away into She's The One is fantastic. I love this version from the Darkness tour:

First Not Fade Away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnUVfdpDXQ0

Then She's The One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO1bbfs2Hbo&feature=related

i was at the show last night and all i could think of was how i wished u2 was more like springsteen when it comes to touring...

springsteen actually had a GA line procedure that was fair to everyone and very organized, imagine that

the setlists vary greatly and springsteen is able to play random songs off fans signs

3 hour and 20 minute shows of pure energy, enough said

if i enjoyed springsteens music as much as u2's it would have blown away the u2 concert experience

i was at the show last night and all i could think of was how i wished u2 was more like springsteen when it comes to touring...

springsteen actually had a GA line procedure that was fair to everyone and very organized, imagine that

the setlists vary greatly and springsteen is able to play random songs off fans signs

if i enjoyed springsteens music as much as u2's it would have blown away the u2 concert experience

yes, the excuses that u2 give out always seem more lame after a springsteen show.

I have to say, that I've never been to a u2 show (I know shame on me :reject:), but I also thought about that...weird!

one can only dream that u2 would actually take at look at what springsteen does for GA. It's damn near perfect but... oh nooooooooooooo! we get the random lottery scan which is such a perfect system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom