Springsteen, Part IV - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:03 PM   #211
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bono_212
You know, I like Asbury Park more than WIESS...I think a couple of the longer tracks on Wild *cough WBilly* really put me off of listening to that album as much as the others.
Um, Wild Billy is the second shortest track on the entire album.

Wild And Innocent is a true classic - the second side alone is pure magic (see what I did there? )

While Asbury Park is great, it still has a few clunkers - specifically Mary, Queen Of Arkansas, probably one of the worst Springsteen songs ever.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:04 PM   #212
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:33 PM
Yeah, I was looking online at Amazon, and it was quite cheap

I at you Best Buy indeed!

Darkness is really good. I can't decide what my favorite album is. There's Magic which was my first, BTR which really got me excited about the music, Darkness is just all around good, and Greetings/WIESS is amazing stuff as well...it's a mixture

Old 05-01-2008, 09:06 PM   #213
Blue Crack Distributor

In response to you Phanan, after I posted I realized it was kind of silly to say longer songs in regards to WIESS since there's like, what? Seven tracks on that album and it's still quite long

I would get stoned though I think if I were to really say what song on Wild I just really don't like.

but as I said in my last post, I kind of count those two first albums together in my mind, and together they're

ETA: Wow, I just checked...Wild Billy's actually pretty short for him
Old 05-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #214
Blue Crack Addict

Listen to the trio of Incident On 57th Street, Rosalita, and New York City Serenade when you get a chance. Yes, they're all very long, but Springsteen never stretched out like that again (well, except for Jungleland) and the results are amazing.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #215
Blue Crack Distributor

Phanan you're in the ball park of which song it is I can't stand. Oh I'll just confess. I don't like New York City Serenade I DON'T KNOW WHY! It's not really that bad, I just can't stand to listen to it
Old 05-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #216
Blue Crack Addict

Ok, then just listen to Incident into Rosalita.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:34 PM   #217
Blue Crack Distributor

with pleasure
Old 05-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #218
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 05-01-2008, 09:54 PM   #219
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
So I need some Springsteen advice...

1. I like the live renditions of stuff off the Seeger Sessions. Are the songs as long and alive on the album?

2. I like what I have heard on the Seeger Sessions. I know it isn't really his usually style but what is similiar in his discography instrumentation and spirit-wise?
Old 05-02-2008, 02:24 AM   #220
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
Listen to the trio of Incident On 57th Street, Rosalita, and New York City Serenade when you get a chance. Yes, they're all very long, but Springsteen never stretched out like that again (well, except for Jungleland) and the results are amazing.
Those three songs comprise the single greatest "side" of music in contemporary popular music. That original LP--not so much the CD--is a thing of brutal, devastating beauty. There is nothing like turning over that record and settling in for the brilliance of side two. Pure magic.

Also, "Jungleland" is awful. Overly self-conscious, self-righteous, and self-important; the only throwaway track I've ever heard which is, like, three hours long. One of the worst songs Springsteen ever put his name on, and there're more than a handful of duds (to put it very kindly) in his vast catalog.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:11 AM   #221
Blue Crack Distributor

jungleland, but, you like New York, so to each his own

I just bought Born To Run on cassette (I'm driving home next week and I have a tape player in my car) and, I put it in...and the tracks are out of order...wtf?
Old 05-02-2008, 03:33 AM   #222
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by If you shout...

Also, "Jungleland" is awful. Overly self-conscious, self-righteous, and self-important; the only throwaway track I've ever heard which is, like, three hours long. One of the worst songs Springsteen ever put his name on, and there're more than a handful of duds (to put it very kindly) in his vast catalog.

Wrong.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:51 AM   #223
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by If you shout...

Jungleland?

Self conscious? Throwaway?

'Barefoot girl sittin' on the hood of a Dodge, drinkin' warm beer in the soft summer rain.'

'Opera out on the turnpike, ballet bein' fought out in the alley.'

'The hungry and the hunted explode into rock and roll bands.'

'Beneath the city...two hearts beat. Soul engines runnin' through a night so tender. In a bedroom locked with whispers of soft refusal and then surrender. In the tunnels uptown the Rat's own dream guns him down. Shots echo down them hallways in the night. No-one watches as the ambulance pulls away...or as the girl shuts out her bedroom light. Outside the street's on fire in a real death waltz between what's flesh and what's fantasy. And the poets down here don't write nothin' at all, they just stand back and let it all be. And in the quick of a knife they reach for their moment and try to make an honest stand. They end up wounded, not even dead, tonight.......'

Yeah, that's exactly what I think of when I think of self-conscious, self-righteous, self-important, and throwaway.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:54 AM   #224
45:33

Local Time: 01:33 PM
Yeah I'm quite enjoying Jungeland.

Just read to that a member of his Estreet band also played a part in the Sopranos...
Old 05-02-2008, 03:58 AM   #225
Blue Crack Distributor

Stevie what was that Bruce said about Stevie at the Rock Hall induction?

Quote:
Stevie Van Zandt. For those of you who have seen "The Sopranos" and are worried that that's what Steve is like ... that's what he's like. He's a lifetime rock 'n' roll friendship.
What is Stevie considered? Guitarist? 2nd Guitar? One of Many guitars? How do you describe Nils/Stevie/Bruce/*coughcoughpatticough*

Tags
bruce springsteen