Springsteen, Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
martha said:

Not as long a show, obviously more new songs, since the new songs weren't around to be performed :wink: , neither he nor Clarence is as physical as they were back then (Clarence can barely walk), the energy level is slightly diminished.

But still well worth seeing. :)

Yeah I'd heard Clarence is struggling a bit... very sad to hear, what's wrong with him? He'd still have a bit left in him though Imagine?

I just got the Tracks box set. :drool:

I'm confused, though - I'm pretty sure the first 4 songs on the first CD are on the Greetings From Asbury Park CD. I'm assuming they're different takes? Or different versions?

Has anyone read any Bruce books? I've read both of Dave Marsh's books, but I'd love to read something that covers more recent years as well. I liked his first one for the '70s, but the one that covered The River through BitUSA was a lot of material for such a short span of time. Of course, the bulk of the book is about his new superstardom after BitUSA, and that was pretty interesting, and I really liked the stuff about how Nebraska and BitUSA came together.

Any recommendations for other Bruce books?

The first four songs are from Springsteen's audition with John Hammond, from the legendary audition tape that is available as a bootleg. These are essentially just Bruce singing and playing guitar. All four did indeed show up on the first album in full band versions.

As for books, there's quite a bit out there. The Dave Marsh books are the best known. I haven't really read anything lately. I still consider the book that Backstreets did the best, but the paperback version was the last one and that dates back to 1992.

So I liked Born To Run. I enjoyed the piano and sax solos a lot. What the record reminded me of was Disintegration by The Cure. Both records had great instrumentation and the lyrics didn't take control of the record. Are any of his other records like this?

Well, after Born To Run, he did Darkness On The Edge Of Town, which features more of the guitar and has a harder edge to it (still some sax, though) and The River is a mix of party-style rave-ups and slow tunes. You might like them, but they sound a little different.

I suggest going backward one album to The Wild, The Innocent, And The E Street Shuffle if you enjoyed the piano and sax parts the most. While they are prominent on later albums still, they really stand out there.

There's a book I've seen on sale at a local book store here, and I can't decide if I should buy it or not. I forget the name of ti though. It's about the size of U2 by U2, and it come sin a box, does anyone know what I'm talking about, and can anyone recommend it or not?

Was it the On Tour book? That one is quite big.

3101VPDQCML._SL500_AA187_.jpg

bruce books

As for books, there's quite a bit out there. The Dave Marsh books are the best known. I haven't really read anything lately. I still consider the book that Backstreets did the best, but the paperback version was the last one and that dates back to 1992.

:hmm:

I've read several Springsteen bios and other Bruce-related books. I'd agree the Marsh and Backsteet ones are the best. The most recent Springsteen book I'd recommend is "Songs," by Bruce himself. It's a collection of his song lyrics with explanations of how many of the songs were written and/or inspired.

So I liked Born To Run. I enjoyed the piano and sax solos a lot. What the record reminded me of was Disintegration by The Cure. Both records had great instrumentation and the lyrics didn't take control of the record. Are any of his other records like this?

pssst...martha...you have to get Disintegration :yes:

If true, these would enable me to skip Foxboro without remorse (I hate football stadia for concerts)

I'll probably still go to Foxboro if I get a good enough ticket.

Worcester might be doable, but Mohegan Sun is just too far for me.

I wish he'd try out the Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester. That would be perfect for me - 30 minutes away.

I'll probably still go to Foxboro if I get a good enough ticket.

Worcester might be doable, but Mohegan Sun is just too far for me.

I wish he'd try out the Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester. That would be perfect for me - 30 minutes away.
Ah, but Mohegan Sun is a Saturday, so you book a $400 room there, stay over and recoup all expenses at the slots and roulette wheel...its a fool proof plan.:wink:

I just heard Thundercrack for the first time on the Tracks boxset. Excellent fucking song. :up:

Has it been played live recently?

I just heard Thundercrack for the first time on the Tracks boxset. Excellent fucking song. :up:

Has it been played live recently?

i was lucky enough to see it live last October and it was even more awesome, if you pick up the BTR 30th Anniv. boxset there is a little gem of a 1973 live show that includes Thundercrack in its full glory and long guitar-ish jam.

i was lucky enough to see it live last October and it was even more awesome, if you pick up the BTR 30th Anniv. boxset there is a little gem of a 1973 live show that includes Thundercrack in its full glory and long guitar-ish jam.

I really should pick it up. More for that and the Hammersmith Odeon disc than anything. Already have Born to Run, but a remaster would be nice to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom