Spoon - New Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright having just bought tickets to see them in Feb, I am listening to some albums by Spoon not named They Want My Soul.

Spotify'd Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. Pretty solid, but a little unremarkable to these ears on first listen. Loved You Got Yr Cherry Bomb (anything to do with the John Mellencamp song?) and Finer Feelings/Black Like Me was a nice way to finish.

I'm seriously fucking addicted to They Want My Soul. I get at least three or four different songs stuck in my head every day and I'm listening to it a lot.

Who knew the secret to putting out a great album was just to put a bunch of great songs on it? So simple, breezy, easy to listen to, just so great.

I'm seriously fucking addicted to They Want My Soul. I get at least three or four different songs stuck in my head every day and I'm listening to it a lot.

Who knew the secret to putting out a great album was just to put a bunch of great songs on it? So simple, breezy, easy to listen to, just so great.

I'd have to say I've listened to it every week lately. But I'm still not sure about their earlier stuff. I think there's a reason I used to think Spoon were a little dull. So I think it's them, not me, that's changed.

Really great show last night. Deep Sea Arcade opened, they sounded pretty good although didn't have a great stage presence.

The hand from They Want My Soul cover was the backdrop, and Spoon came out a few minutes late as all bands do. Drummer took his seat, slightly left of centre, and started pounding the opening to Rent I Pay, which I had hoped would open the show. Just a great song and boy do those drums hit hard. Up next was a song I am guessing was called Small Stakes, that was seriously good. Quite a few tracks after Rent I Pay that I didn't know, really enjoyed them all though. Rainy Taxi was great and benefitted from a freak-out outro. The bloke left of stage who plays keys, guitar and tambourine is insane, he was so much fun to watch and his keyboard playing during Rainy Taxi, with its manic bursts of piano, was a delight. Do You was a slight disappointment, just didn't quite hit the way I hoped it would. I Turn My Camera On was a track I'd heard of but not heard and it was a genuine highlight. Encore included Outlier and Yr Cherry Bomb, which was probably my favourite track off Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. Also a cover of Memory Lane by Eddy Current Suppression Ring, a great garage rock band from around these parts.

Overall a terrific show. Their rhythm section is spellbinding, really gripping. All the little effects they do on songs, like small snippets of synths or short backup vocal parts, all add to the experience and set them apart from lesser guitar bands. Was on track to be a perfect setlist but they didn't play They Want My Soul. Can't fathom how you can't play the title track from your latest album, particularly when it's such a great song and one that would be pretty easy to play, that really sucked, but didn't really detract from a great show.

What did detract, however, were the people around me. Two blokes rocked up a few minutes before the show, stood in front of us joining their mates. They spent nearly the entire show either having a conversation or staring into their phones. The taller one wasn't as bad, when he wasn't chatting or on his phone he was at least watching the band and bopping a bit but the other fuckwit I wanted to knock out. Most he ever watched the band would have been 10 seconds I reckon. Even when Spoon were absolutely tearing it up they would be having a conversation or texting or on Facebook or whatever. It was fucking infuriating so I made sure my "woooooooo"s were very loud and directed at them. A couple next to me were also having annoying conversations but at least they knew and liked the band. And we saw someone taking photos and videos with their ipad.

Rent I Pay
Small Stakes
Don't You Evah
Who Makes Your Money
My Mathematical Mind
The Ghost of You Lingers
Rainy Taxi
The Beast and Dragon, Adored
New York Kiss
Satellite
Don't Make Me a Target
Do You
I Summon You
Inside Out
I Turn My Camera On
Got Nuffin
Black Like Me

Outlier
Memory Lane
You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb
The Underdog

Checked out Gimme Fiction today, since a few of its tracks appeared last night. Great album and more consistent than Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, I felt. Sister Jack was probably my fav track, was kinda like Spoon doing Wilco better than Wilco do Wilco.

I've been binging on Spoon a lot lately.

spoon-for-drug-use.jpg

We're worried about you, buddy. Check yo' self before you wreck yo' self.

They Want My Soul is a really, really good album and I greatly enjoyed revisiting it today in light of the new album announcement.

Still think it's stupid that it won came in second in the 2014 B&C poll though.

Last edited:
Because I'm wrong. It came in 2nd and The War on Drugs won.

I wasn't a fan of 2014. The last couple of years have been stronger.

Last edited:
Ahead of Black Messiah and St. Vincent. Ugh.

And yet, the most eggregious part* of that list was SOI at #3.

*Other than cobbler skipping album #10 in the top-10 announcement.

Kill the Moonlight has grown on me a lot over the years. It's such a spare, austere record for the genre that it felt like empty, glorified demos to me for the longest time. But no, really it's just a very well executed production aesthetic supporting some very good melodies.

I love this band. What a great discography they have.

I know Kill the Moonlight the least. Its sound, which you described well, never appealed to me as much as the others.

Gimme Fiction is clearly a friendlier album, but the lustre has yet to wear off. Still my favorite of theirs. The taut, angular Series of Sneaks is my second favorite

I listened to Girls Can Tell the other day after a long time, and it just made me remember how much I like this band.

Not their best by any stretch, but it's a funky good time. Much more vital than what indie contemporaries The Shins/James Mercer are putting out at this stage.

Honestly, I'm curious to hear what a bad Spoon album would sound like.

Back
Top Bottom