Spoon - New Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Almost everything they've put out is worth listening to.

Start with Girls Can Tell, one of my favorite records of all time, or Gimme Fiction, which covers all the bases as far as their sound goes.

Yeah, can't go wrong with that one either. One of their most sunny and upbeat albums, if you're in the mood for that.

Kill the Moonlight and Transference are perfectly good records btw, just don't start out with them.

I prefer Girls Can Tell by a considerable margin over KTM. Never understood the hype on that one.

I think Gimme Fiction is the way to go. Not only does it "cover all the bases" as LM put it, but I think it might be their poppiest.

Music is great, verses are great but I wish the chorus was something other than Daniel snarling the title over and over. And is it just me, or does he sound even rougher/raspier than usual? He has one of my favorite voices in rock and I would be bummed if it's suffering.

No one bothering to listen to this?

Maybe everyone's too busy analyzing the latest murky U2 beach clip to listen to actual music?

I've listened to Do You about a dozen times now and like it a lot. Rent I Pay sounded to me like it would have fit in with Transference (Mystery Zone and Written in Reverse), whereas this reminds me more of Gax5. And having heard at least clips from three more, the opening 5 songs sound killer. This album could become my favorite over Gax5 if the closing songs are as strong as the first 5.

No one bothering to listen to this?

Didn't realize it was out yet. I'm really behind on my 2014 list, since I've had some weird obsession with listening to everything on my list this year.

Today, though, my random number selector picked Kill the Moonlight off of my 2000s list. I don't know if this is a relisten, or not, but this is the first anything I've heard by Spoon in like two or three years. I'd honestly forgot what they even sounded like, but holy shit, I regret all the wasted time :(.

And...it's over....is that album like a minute long?

Anyways, Loved it. I'll make sure to listen to the new one soon, but likely not today.

This is streaming on Aussie iTunes but a guy recorded it and cut up the tracks, so I have heard it.

A lot more immediate than Transference, certainly, but still darker than GaGaGaGaGa or Gimme Fiction. Some tracks have a dance-pop influence, but because Spoon has always emphasized rhythm, it makes a lot of sense for them. It's a very natural combination. There are some strong Spoon rockers as well, as the early singles made sure that would be the case. It's the moodier tracks like Inside Out that really stick with me though.

Great album and I think it'll only get better. Knock Knock Knock is the only track that could possibly be construed as filler.

Unless you're a Random Movie Talk regular, you might be unaware that this album is streaming on iTunes now. Go check it out guys, it's great.

Agreed. Really good album.

We should probably take this back to Random Movie Talk though.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom