Spoon - New Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With Deerhunter?! That's badass! They haven't been here since Gimme Fiction, they played with American Music Club then, which was also a fantastic 2 for the price of one type show.

Thanks for not playing Los Angeles, cocksuckers.

Considering my disappointment with this album, and the fact that I have no desire to see Deerhunter, I couldn't care less anyway.

Transference is 100% grower. At this stage, I can't say it made the incredible first impression GaGaGaGaGa did on first listen, but a few individual tracks did. The Mystery Zone is Spoon in their fucking element, Trouble Comes Running is a damn fine, snappy pop song, and Out Go The Lights is gorgeous. Really, really dig this album, and I think it's only going to get better.

GaGaGa really made an incredible first impression on you? Was it per-chance your first Spoon album? Not that it was bad, I just prefer the three prior to it from them.

Regardless, glad to hear you're liking the new'un. I'll order.

Thanks for continuing to bone Florida, almost every cool "indie" band.

Transference has been pre-ordered, suckas.

GaGaGa really made an incredible first impression on you? Was it per-chance your first Spoon album?

I had heard every album except Telephono at that point. :shrug: What can I say, it's still my second favorite Spoon release behind Girls Can Tell, and I don't see that changing any time soon. The Underdog isn't even overrated/whored out enough to make me think less of it.

That's koolz. Despite the Billy Joelishness, I still like The Underdog quite a bit. Great music video too. Girls Can Tell is badass. When I saw them on the Gimme tour, they played a ton of tracks from GCT, but I hadn't purchased the album at the time and was completely unfamiliar. Always sucks to realize you've heard songs you love live before, but didn't know them at the time!

Girls Can Tell is one of the best late-night albums ever IMO. Perfect for driving around, soaking in the sights of the city that Scorsese made a career out of, then going home and wondering why the hell you're still alone.

I hate ranking Spoon's albums because they were arguably the most consistently great band of the decade, and my affection for their work is all a matter of degrees, but I definitely rank Kill The Moonlight last, at least of their '00s work. Something about it just grates on me. There are a ton of strong melodies in there, but they tease you, because the songs never really develop fully. They build and build, and then just end. Over and over again. It's a very experimental record as far as songwriting structure is concerned, but it doesn't suit my taste.

I think Laz dislikes (or rates it the lowest at least) Kill the Moonlight as well. It was my intro to Spoon, so I'm sure I overrate from good memories associated to that to some extent, but it and Gimme are still my favs. Sorta go back and forth between the two in regards to which I think I like the most.

Yes, I rate it the lowest. I don't dislike anything the band has done.

Me and LM seem to be in a minority; it appears to be rated the highest among critics for some bizarre reason.

Girls Can Tell blows it out of the water.

Amazon is selling it for $7.99, BTW.

I ordered some other stuff (including the new Vampire Weekend) to get myself some Free Shipping on top of it.

Transference is 100% grower.

God, this is hilarious. I'm not at all picking on you, LM, but rather pointing out how the word "grower," in listening-to-music terms, has changed so much and so rapidly, in the last year or two. I mean...I don't follow Spoon, these days, so I'm not really up to speed on all of this...didn't this leak, like, three days ago? That kills me! It's a grower...but it takes less than a week to blossom!

Not a Spoon issue, and I don't have an issue with your post (in fact, I know what you mean, if not in regards to this album). I just think that's brilliant, to be talking in these terms before an album even comes out. Once upon a time, White Light/White Heat and Red House Painters records were growers, and that was years after the fact. Now pop albums are growers because they sound better on second listen than first. Always tickles me.

God, this is hilarious. I'm not at all picking on you, LM, but rather pointing out how the word "grower," in listening-to-music terms, has changed so much and so rapidly, in the last year or two. I mean...I don't follow Spoon, these days, so I'm not really up to speed on all of this...didn't this leak, like, three days ago? That kills me! It's a grower...but it takes less than a week to blossom!

Not a Spoon issue, and I don't have an issue with your post (in fact, I know what you mean, if not in regards to this album). I just think that's brilliant, to be talking in these terms before an album even comes out. Once upon a time, White Light/White Heat and Red House Painters records were growers, and that was years after the fact. Now pop albums are growers because they sound better on second listen than first. Always tickles me.

Ha, I jumped the gun somewhat in stating openly that it's a grower, but, to my ears, records with sparse instrumentation and subtle melodies tend to reveal themselves on further listens, and this record exhibits those qualities. Transference is certainly the least immediate record Spoon has made since Kill The Moonlight; this isn't HTDAAB we're talking about here. That's all I meant by it.

I realize the holes within the "grower" argument myself. If I were an artist that toured regularly, it would be my fail-safe counterargument to those booing me: "it'll grow on you, you fucks." But I do know the difference between a big, dumb pop song and a less immediate musical composition (that sounded painfully elitist, I know), and I feel it's fair to state that Spoon albums are somewhere in between, this one leaning more to the latter than their past few.

I will say that, for me, White Light/White Heat took about half a dozen listens to become tolerable, and half a dozen more to become a masterpiece, so there's that.

Ha, I jumped the gun somewhat in stating openly that it's a grower, but, to my ears, records with sparse instrumentation and subtle melodies tend to reveal themselves on further listens, and this record exhibits those qualities. Transference is certainly the least immediate record Spoon has made since Kill The Moonlight; this isn't HTDAAB we're talking about here. That's all I meant by it.

Yeah, I know what you mean. In other news, I wonder if this one will finally be the Spoon record that I like, instead of yet another Spoon album from which I like three or four songs...?

Still a relatively solid review though, despite them agreeing on the "Spoon sounding like Spoon" assessment.

I heard a track from it on the radio last Friday that I really liked, no clue what it was, it wasn't the single.

P-Fork prediction: 8.1, based on the 8.5 that Ga x 5 received, and the level of esteem they're still held in (see Hail to the Thief's 9.5 rating).

But really it should be getting a 7.5 for not being as satisfying as Gimme Fiction (which received a ridiculously low 7.9).

Back
Top Bottom