Spoon - New Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like Spoons new album far more than Arcade Fire's.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference to annoy Cobbler

You need to STFU about Sister Jack right now. What a perfect power pop gem; there's no reason Spoon needs to be left field to be good.

Sister Jack is a Jonathan Fisk rewrite. (Sorry, couldn't resist stealing Mikal's favorite joke.)

Woah. I finally got around to buying this album. I put it off for a long time because I didn't like Transference, but I'd heard good enough good things to give this a chance. Wow. Great record and immediate. Listened to it three times today.

"Do You" seems to be getting the most airplay out of the gate, which is fine. "New York Kiss" is the gem of the record for me -- a perfect summer jam.

I'm overly partial to "Do You" seeing as how it name checks the street I live on.

It's far from my favorite track on the album, but it reps my hood and I can get behind that. Inside Out, Knock Knock Knock, Outlier, and Let Me Be Mine are tops for me.

I still think Britt sounds like shit on the chorus.

I was just thinking he sounds a bit like Liam Gallagher at certain points of this record. So your statement makes perfect sense. Just ruined this for you, didn't I?

Edit: Especially on I Just Don't Understand.

Not sure if you guys listen to the Song Exploder Podcast, but they have a pretty great episode on "Inside Out" with Jim Eno and Dave Fridmann. Gave me a new appreciation of the song and the album as a whole. I hadn't realized that their choice of Friedmann as a producer was primarily inspired by The Soft Bulletin. Pretty cool.

Song Exploder № 16: Spoon | Maximum Fun

No, you like every song on it, because they are all good.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference to annoy Cobbler

I especially liked Do You, Knock Knock Knock, Outlier, They Want My Soul (what a run) and New York Kiss.

Few more listens since this, and I still feel much the same way, but yeah overall this is a great record, not a bad song. I really love the crescendo synths in the chorus for Knock x3, only wish they lasted longer, it's a bit of a shame that the song doesn't build to a bigger climax. I think the title track might be my favourite (along with Do You), that guitar/synth riff after the "they want my soul" lines is so great. NY Kiss is a bit of an anomaly given it leans more on synths than the rest of the album, but it's a great song and a great finish. Rainy Taxi makes me think of a sped-up version of Bee Gee's Spicks and Specks.

My question to all you ardent Spoon fans is... one thing I do like about this record is Britt Daniel's vocals, there are a lot of moments where his voicebox sounds like it's about to fall out, but he holds it in, and they're quite impressive, gripping moments. Are there older Spoon records where he really goes for it vocally, so much so that it really gets to you emotionally? If so what is/are that/those albums?

I think the title track might be my favourite (along with Do You), that guitar/synth riff after the "they want my soul" lines is so great.

:love:

It's about fucking time someone else recognized.

My question to all you ardent Spoon fans is... one thing I do like about this record is Britt Daniel's vocals, there are a lot of moments where his voicebox sounds like it's about to fall out, but he holds it in, and they're quite impressive, gripping moments. Are there older Spoon records where he really goes for it vocally, so much so that it really gets to you emotionally? If so what is/are that/those albums?

I mean, he's always had that rasp (and I think he may have the best "rock and roll" voice of any active artist). They're not really an emotional band in the way you're describing, but there are some tracks here and there that cut deeper.

If you like this album, you're probably going to enjoy most of the others. I'd go with Gimme Fiction or Ga x 5 next, they're both very accessible.

On headphones it's pretty cool how Knock x3 ends in the left ear and Outlier seems to start almost before the former is over in the right ear. There's also some handclaps in the latter that remind me of Secret Life of Arabia.

This album continues to rise and rise in my estimation. It's just a joy to listen to. Will definitely be up there in my year-end rankings.

One thing I do wish is that the guitar playing in the title track is more fluid, for lack of a better word. Like when it comes in after the "all they want's my soul yeah they want my soul", it's such a good riff, but it's played in quite a disjointed manner. (But that might be a Spoon touchstone, I'm not sure, I remember Transference being quite disjointed)

Someone else somewhere put me onto this, and I remembered liking their recentish single more than their old stuff (though I think it's me, not them, that has changed).

This is a very satisfying album. I'm going to have to spend time with it. The song 'Outlier' and also 'New York Kiss' feel like standouts at present.

Suddenly Spoon are making me feel like I'm listening to a non-sucky Wilco (ok, non-sucky newish Wilco, alright?).

I can't get Knock Knock Knock out of my head. Seriously, I woke up with it running around in there more than once.

It's the 'ooooooh's that make it.

Been listening to this album over the past few weeks. Damn, it's really good. Every song is great. Favorites are Let Me Be Mine, Inside Out, Do You and New York Kiss.

Back
Top Bottom