Spoon - New Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's like James Mercer is scared of writing the same songs all over again, so he's changing the chord progressions just enough to make them forgettable.

BTW, Us has to be the strangest song in Spoon's discography. It gets pretty cool by the end tho

It's like James Mercer is scared of writing the same songs all over again, so he's changing the chord progressions just enough to make them forgettable.

BTW, Us has to be the strangest song in Spoon's discography. It gets pretty cool by the end tho

Port of Marrow was among the worst albums of its year, and based on the songs I've heard from this one, it will probably repeat that dubious distinction.

This new Spoon album fucking cooks, though. Certainly a lot less straightforward than They Want My Soul, but still infectious and groovy. Can I Sit Next to You is my favorite on first listen.

I don't know where I would rank Girls Can Tell in their discography, but Everything Hits at Once is comfortably in their top five songs.

Their best on both counts, IMO.

1. Girls Can Tell
2. GaGaGaGaGa
3. They Want My Soul
4. Kill the Moonlight
5. Gimme Fiction
6. A Series of Sneaks
7. Transference
8. Telephono

Too early to rank Hot Thoughts.

Wow I've only heard 2,3,7 and the new one. Didn't realize they had put out so many albums.

Tear It Down starts exactly like Bad Religion by Frank Ocean and I do a double take every time.

It doesn't happen all that often, but I actually agree with the Mojo review of Hot Thoughts:
"The main feeling it provokes is sincere admiration at a job well done, but a raised pulse, unfortunately, is something Spoon can't craft from scratch."

I really like this. Hard to think of a more consistently good band.

I've spun this album quite a few times this week, and really, really like it. A great follow-up to They Want My Soul, which I absolutely loved.

I'm unable to get into Us, though. Such a weird closer. But I'm also not a huge fan of instrumentals anyway.

It doesn't happen all that often, but I actually agree with the Mojo review of Hot Thoughts:
"The main feeling it provokes is sincere admiration at a job well done, but a raised pulse, unfortunately, is something Spoon can't craft from scratch."

I like that line. Agreed. Surprised so many here dig it

It's a good album, I guess, but quite unmemorable and a significant step down from They Want My Soul, which I adored. Lyrically says and does very little and none of the instruments hit anywhere near like they did on that album. Tear it Down is the only exception, a great track, maybe you can throw WhisperI'lllistentohearit in there as well.

Hot Thoughts is a perfect summary of the album: uninspiring, by-numbers indie rock (done with that Spoon bent).

This album has grown on me like crazy. The melodies aren't their best, which is why it's easy to just throw the album aside after one listen, but the production and instrumentation is out of this world, which is very important for an album primarily driven by grooves. The percussion on Can I Sit Next to You fucking slaps. Plus, there are some very good, very interesting moments of experimentation in Pink Up and Us that point to some new avenues for the band.

If all indie rock sounded like Hot Thoughts, which unfortunately it does not, I would call it by-the-numbers. Instead, I wish more guitar bands were this much fun.

Back
Top Bottom