Soundgarden reunion...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder someone will approach dave grohl about ever fully embracing a nirvana nostalga . Playing songs he hasn't ever since 1994. he proly won't ever, and dosn't need to by any stretch of the imgination. But someone could always ask.

Daily I'd guess. He's done an amazing job of making a completely new career. Foo Fighters are probably my favorite no-nonsense rock band.

Grunge is such a cliched term, especially since none of the 4 big Seattle bands sounded alike. They all came from different musical backgrounds. Precisely that was one of the strongest points of the Seattle music scene.

the only thing they had in common was a dislike of hair spray and a lot of flannel shirts (oh, and a lot of swapping band members, but that's besides the point).

there was no "grunge" sound, other than the sound of record companies pumping up bands who copied the originals.

I think bands like the Melvins and Mudhoney were really "Grunge". Some Soundgarden maybe. But mostly, that whole scene was just punk/alt stuff. Not really unique or groundbreaking for the most part. Just good, solid rock.

I tried and tried to get into Soundgarden, but I never could for some reason. Though i do think Cornell is some kinda genius.

And this was the setlist for last night's Showbox show:

1. Spoonman
2. Gun
3. Searching With My Good Eye Closed
4. Rusty Cage
5. Beyond the Wheel
6. Flower
7. Ugly Truth
8. Fell on Black Days
9. Hunted Down
10.Nothing to Say
11.Loud Love
12.Blow Up the Outside World
13.Pretty Noose
14.Outshined
15.Slaves and Bulldozers

Encore:

16.Get on the Snake
17.Big Dumb Sex
18.Waiting For the Sun (The Doors)

Love that set! Can't believe that 9 songs are from the pre-Badmotorfinger days, including Beyond the Wheel, which is something I simply cannot imagine Cornell singing now these days. And no Black Hole Sun, heh. Can't say I'm bumped about that...

Supposedly Cornell nailed the vocals. I'll believe it when I hear it.

And Part of Me wasn't in the set. Bummer.

WOW. That setlist was not what I would have been expecting. Love that they start off with one of their biggest hits then proceeded to play a bunch of older/heavy stuff. This makes me want to dust off my (cassette!) copy of Louder Than Love.

I'm not a Soundgarden fan, but that's pretty cool. I was just at the Showbox on Thursday night to see Florence & the Machine. I like that venue.

Uhhhh ... not sure what the capacity is. The blurb I saw about the show said there were about 1,000 people there.

The Florence & the Machine concert was sold out, but I suck at estimating headcounts.

Edit: I found something on Google that says it's 1,137.

Supposedly Cornell nailed the vocals. I'll believe it when I hear it.

Don't judge Cornell by his Audioslave days or that Timbaland produced nonsense, I saw him twice solo in 2007, where he performed a lot of old material, he really did regain much of his vocal power.

Don't judge Cornell by his Audioslave days or that Timbaland produced nonsense, I saw him twice solo in 2007, where he performed a lot of old material, he really did regain much of his vocal power.

I'm aware of that, heard a lot of 2007/2008 solo bootlegs and saw him live in 2009. Still, a lot of these songs were vocally even harder to do than some of the Soundgarden material he had performed as a solo artist in the last couple of years (Beyond the Wheel being the prime example).

You can download the Showbox bootleg here: GrungeReport.net � Blog Archive � LISTEN TO LIVE BOOTLEG OF SOUNDGARDEN’S COMPLETE SHOW AT THE SHOWBOX LAST NIGHT

And he does indeed nail Beyond the Wheel, but overall he's still hit and miss (as he was in his glory days). Interesting to hear that he controls his voice better in higher register than in lower.

/url]

I saw there were two clips on You Tube the yesterday, each about 15-20 seconds, and poor quality. The guy didn't want to get busted, and tried to get a little something. Supposedly no cameras or phones allowed in.

Hah that's kind of cool considering these days it's really the norm to be at shows with everyone filming with their digi cams or holding up their cell phones instead of actually watching the band you know?

Yeah djerdap, that's true, they did do a lot of earlier songs that his 2007 tour didn't cover. I'll be all over that boot later on, thanks for the link.

I'm aware of that, heard a lot of 2007/2008 solo bootlegs and saw him live in 2009. Still, a lot of these songs were vocally even harder to do than some of the Soundgarden material he had performed as a solo artist in the last couple of years (Beyond the Wheel being the prime example).

You can download the Showbox bootleg here: GrungeReport.net � Blog Archive � LISTEN TO LIVE BOOTLEG OF SOUNDGARDEN’S COMPLETE SHOW AT THE SHOWBOX LAST NIGHT

And he does indeed nail Beyond the Wheel, but overall he's still hit and miss (as he was in his glory days). Interesting to hear that he controls his voice better in higher register than in lower.

I appreciate that link. Thanks.

Chris Cornell is playing the Roxy in Hollywood on 5/2/10. Tix go on sale tomorrow. Small venue in the scheme of things. Oh how I wish I could go... :sigh:

hit and miss is for damn sure... i saw him with audioslave twice... once he was absolutely brilliant, the other time, not so much.

the hit time was at roseland, a smaller venue... the miss was at the garden. seemed like he was trying to overdue it.

hit and miss is for damn sure... i saw him with audioslave twice... once he was absolutely brilliant, the other time, not so much.

the hit time was at roseland, a smaller venue... the miss was at the garden. seemed like he was trying to overdue it.

Audioslave was his worst live singing era for sure. Some bootlegs I downloaded are practically unlistenable. And Cornell trying to sing RATM songs was an awful idea.

The new Soundgarden bootleg shows him in much better form. Still inconsistent and sounding a bit flat on some songs, but he destroys some of the early classics (in a good way).

I saw SG twice back in the early 90's, Audioslave on the first tour (club show) and Cornell solo in 2008.
His voice was good all 4 times I saw him, probably best at the recent solo show.
His stage presence was horrible in 1991, much improved with Audioslave and thereafter.

The setlist from Showbox looks great, loving some of the more popular songs being omitted, though I doubt that'll hold up when they hit the road. Still should be a good take.

Back
Top Bottom