Soundgarden - King Animal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djerdap

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
As far as reunion albums go, this is not bad. It is not an embarrassment to their great legacy, it has some songs that are really, really good (A Thousand Days Before) and most importantly - it actually sounds like a Soundgarden album, with the exception of one sleazy track that does seem like it crossed over from the mostly awful Chris Cornell solo career (but not the Timbaland stuff, don't panic).

Since heavier rock music is lately suffering from a severe case of drought, this is a breath of fresh air. If anything, it deserves to be heard for Matt Cameron's fantastic drumming and some great Ben Shepherd bass playing.

No Soundgarden fans here either? :|

Great comeback, this was. Really surprised me. Took a while to grow on me but once it did, I couldn't get enough of songs like Bones Of Birds, A Thousand Days Before, Taree, Halfway There etc. Bring on another album, guys! :D

Along with Beyond by Dinosaur Jr., it's the best reunion album I can think of right now. It's not spectacular, but it's a really solid collection of songs.

I loved King Animal, I think that it's their third best album behind Badmotorfinger and Superunknown. I'm so stoked for their concert here in late August.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Since I find Down on the Upside to be their most layered, versatile and emotional record, I don't think King Animal comes close to it. Louder Than Love is another gem that deserves a mention - the band played a surprisingly substantial amount from it on their reunion tour.

Louder Than Love is great, but I don't like the production on it. I love the songs but it's hard for me to listen to that record. I hope they bust out some material from it during my show. Too bad Matt Cameron isn't playing with them though.

I was watching YouTube videos of live performances of Jesus Christ Pose from like '92. They seemed awkwardly awesome. I knew them obviously from Black Hole Sun. I'll have to look into them a bit more. Any suggestions?

Are you looking for songs or albums? For albums, try this order

1. Superunknown
2. Badmotorfinger
3. Louder than Love
4. Down on the Upside

No, this is how it goes:

Superunknown
King animal
Batmotorfinger
Down on the upside

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using U2 Interference mobile app

oh my god Soundgarden appreciation thread? i should've known about this a while ago. anyway I think the order nbelcik said seems pretty legit. Though I recommend listening to Ultramega OK somewhere between Badmotorfinger and Louder than Love.

PS if you want some SG memorabilia; look no further than this beautiful Duesenberg guitar: ALLIANCE SOUNDGARDEN | Duesenberg

Well some of you may know but this thing is weird as Kim Thayil never used Duisenberg yet.....this exists.

I never really talk about it much, but after the 2 year obsession I had with U2 as a teenager, Soundgarden became my next band to be obsessed with. I started getting into Soundgarden right after Badmotorfinger was released, in 1992, but at the same time I was infatuated with U2. Badmotorfinger was a hard listen for me at the time because I wasn't "really" into hard rock/metal, and as the grunge thing was happening Soundgarden didn't really have that grunge vibe, at least in my opinion, so they really teetered that Metal/Rock genre label. So an album like Badmotorfinger wasn't as palpable to the ears as say Pearl Jam's Ten or Nirvana's Nevermind was at that time. It didn't help that the first video I saw was for Outshined and Chris Cornell was shirtless, rocking renaissance era painter facial hair and screaming "SHOW ME THE POWER CHILD" in a steel factory with fire in the background.

So as time went by and I continued listening to Badmotorfinger again and again it finally clicked and I got it. The lyrics weren't stupid, they were somewhat intelligent, thought provoking, the production made sense and the power of Kim Thayil's guitar work shown through and of course Cornell's incredible range finally got through to me. This all happened during 92/93 which seemed like an eternity. There wasn't internet then like we have now so honestly MTV was the source for any music news. Finally sometime in late 93 there was a news report on Soundgarden's much anticipated next album, and Chris Cornell shaved his head. That literally was what MTV news focused on. Chris Cornell started wearing shirts and shaved his head and people freaked out.

Superunknown dropped and holy crap. It was an incredible listen because Soundgarden at the time were really great at making good albums. Albums that didn't sound like their previous albums. There were a lot of songs on Superunknown and of course Black Hole Sun blew up. So yeah, 1994 I was really incredibly obsessed with Soundgarden. In an odd way when Down On The Upside came out in 96 that era felt like things had changed and the band were losing some spark. And of course they broke up a year later in 1997 and musical tastes changed.

I was on board for the first Chris Cornell solo album, and still think it's an interested good first outing, I like the production and it really takes me back to the year it came out. His later solo stuff was hit or miss and I wasn't too fond of Audioslave. I gave King Animal some listens but nothing from it really stuck with me. I do hope they have another good album in them. I know Chris is doing more solo stuff again.

Yeah in 91-92 before the "grunge" label was part of the fabric of our culture Soundgarden (Alice in Chains as well) were being grouped in as hard rock/metal by those who must put everything into a category. I saw Soundgarden open for Guns n Roses in December of 91 two nights in a row, so that was the audience promoters at the time were targeting with them. After Teen Spirit set MTV on fire Soundgarden (without doing anything of course) became a grunge band.

Back
Top Bottom