Songs Of Faith And Devotion, 1993

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Songs_Of_Faith_And_Devotion.jpg

438922.JPG

This is the morning of our love
It's just the dawning of our love

depechemodeifeelyou28xvidkrip29..jpg

Now I'm not looking for absolution
Forgiveness for the things I do
But before you come to any conclusions
Try walking in my shoes

020363_8.jpg

depeche_mode_-_walkin_in_my_shoes_lcd.jpg

If for honesty you want apologies
I don't sympathize
If for kindness you substitute blindness
Please open your eyes

condemnation.jpg

Your favourite darkness
Your favourite half-light
Your favourite consciousness
Your favourite slave

55320.jpg

Oh girl, lead me into your darkness
When this world is trying its hardest
To leave me unimpressed
Just one caress
From you and I'm blessed

USREV0200087_640x480_01.jpg

When I come up
When I rush
I rush for you

davegaha.jpg

I surrender all control
To the desire that consumes me whole
Leads me by the hand to infinity
Lies in wait at the heart of me
Moved, lifted higher
Moved, my soul's on fire
Moved, by a higher love

:drool:

Good-ass record. I think that it houses the band's most diverse, well-produced, and, well, just flat-out best collection of singles, too. Great stuff. Still, I'd swap out "Judas" for "Devotion" (as daring a choice as it was), any day of the week.

Good-ass record. I think that it houses the band's most diverse, well-produced, and, well, just flat-out best collection of singles, too. Great stuff. Still, I'd swap out "Judas" for "Devotion" (as daring a choice as it was), any day of the week.

This is still my favorite album of theirs, my favorite tour of theirs as well...

These.

Music For The Masses is a close second, though.

Is "Devotion" a b-side? I don't see it listed in their discography.

Oh, you meant for singles.

Judas just isn't something that would work outside the context of the album like that, especially on radio. A bit too minimalist, no?

The song that really should have been a single is Mercy In You, at least in some form.

The thing is, their single mixes always improve on the album mixes...as far as "single-readiness" is concerned, at least. I have few doubts that a single mix of "Judas" would've slayed. They've always done great work, on that front.

Music For The Masses is a close second, though.

I know a lot of people say that over here but I don't fully see it. Masses' first half is great but I stop the record after Behind The Wheel. Black Celebration is pretty interesting throughout but it doesn't have the killer first half of Masses. :hmm:

Btw, I still haven't bothered with the recent album, partly because everyone keeps comparing it to their early 80s output which I know little about.

Nothing is my favorite song on the album, so I'd have to disagree with side two not being worth a listen. You don't find it catchy?

I also love the stuff Gore does with the breathing on I Want You Now.

Nothing is my favorite song on the album, so I'd have to disagree with side two not being worth a listen. You don't find it catchy?

Well, it's not necessarily about it not being catchy. Several great songs are not exactly catchy, for example: Bowie's Warszawa. But side 2 of Masses just bores me. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Btw, coming back to SOFAD, I used to prefer the single version of In Your Room to the one on the album. But then I started to like the haunting album version just as much. :love:

Just listened to Masses again. Side 2 sounds a bit better than I remembered it. :shifty: Still think it pales in comparison to Side 1 but Nothing is a decent track.

1) Violator
2) Black Celebration
3) Music for the Masses
4) Songs of Faith and Devotion
5) Playing the Angel

Yeah, I said it.

Also, I think that Masses and Celebration are largely interchangeable.

agreed, nothing is a great track.

and i believe i read that breathing sound was achieved by playing an accordion without a note. :hmm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom