Somebody Tell Me Something Awesome About Boston (The Band)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeman

Refugee
Holy crap!
that first album kicks ASS!!!

There's so many awesome things happening...
It's so fucking amazing.

everyone write in and share your favorite moment.

Mine is at 3:39 of "Peace of Mind".
Holy shit that sounds like the Blade of the God of Thunder ripping through Heaven itself...

Kicking Some Ass..

dudeman

Holy shit that sounds like the Blade of the God of Thunder ripping through Heaven itself...

:eeklaugh:

I don't know, dudeman. I haven't listened to a Boston song in ages.. pretty much since I gave up on classic rock radio!

But I've always liked More Than A Feeling (ultimate road trip anthem!), Piece Of Mind and... Foreplay/Long time I think is the other one. :up:

The first album is a classic rock mainstay. There aren't too many albums out there where every single track is regularly played on the radio. This is one of them.

Problem is, they couldn't come up with anything new after that. Their sound didn't change at all. Still some decent songs, but they were pretty much replicating that first album every time.

But there's no denying that self-titled disc.

you all are missing the point.
it gets played a lot because it's great, not because it's annoying. It may be annoying because of it's ubiquity, but step out of that frame of mind and just LISTEN to it.
like "Rumours" by Fleetwood Mac. Great music.

the production and songwriting on "Boston" are INSANE. Tom Scholz's guitar tone unbelievably beautiful, and has never been replicated by anyone. every bit is in the exact right place - the arrangements are impeccable. Brad Delp's harmonies are amazing. The rhythm shifts and changes are fascinating. and the hooks keep coming fast and furious.

Absolutely NOTHING sounded this good in 1973. Nothing has since. I'm glad they did it.

No one said it was annoying...It is a great album, it made my top 50. Foreplay and Peace of Mind probably are my favorite tracks on there. I've never really been as big a fan as More Than A Feeling, but still a great song.

The best thing about Boston is that they are no longer making music, the other thing of note is that without 'more than a feeling' there is no 'smells like teen spirit'

Mine is at 3:39 of "Peace of Mind".

I love that song so much. That singer .... man, he was great.

I like that the chorus of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" uses the same chords as the chorus of "More Than a Feeling." Good times.

Edit: Ha! Toscano beat me to it.

I love the album, but to say nothing sounded that good back then is, to put it mildly, a stretch.

And the album came out in 1976, not 1973.

Right you are, 1976 it was!
they probably started recording it in '73.....Ha ha.

still, it sounds absolutely amazing. if you can name another album made back then that sounded that immaculate, had that much attention to detail paid, and was as listenable (thus eliminating EVERYTHING by Steely Dan), I'll be all ears.

Man, i gotta agree with bono_212, "Foreplay/Long Time" is a HOT TUNE.:wave:

That first album rocks the fuck out. Great acoustic/electric guitar interplay, vocals, everything.

Here's something cool: guitarist Tom Scholz has a degree from MIT, and if I'm not mistaken, invented some of the tech shit for his guitar sounds.

Not a huge fan of this band, but after years of classic rock radio I got over my resistance to appreciate some of their stuff.

Boston's first album contains great AOR music. The album is timeless even though I have heard every track to death. To me, that is the beauty of it. :up:

Back
Top Bottom