So what does everyone think of The Script?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
words can't begin to describe how much i detest this band. their songs are complete utter drivel, on the same level as The Fray. they say nothing, the music is unimaginative and yet somehow they're winning quite an audience.

to say they are Maroon 5-ish is an insult to the 5, because even though not everyone likes them,
album-songs-about-jane.jpg
was a damn good album and has 50 times the personality The Script has.

So if you add "Bono likes them" or "Larry's heard them" to a thread then it's EYKIW material?

I've only heard one song, had no clue they were a boy band...:huh:

words can't begin to describe how much i detest this band. their songs are complete utter drivel, on the same level as The Fray. they say nothing, the music is unimaginative and yet somehow they're winning quite an audience.

Exactly. when I first heard them on their last album on the radio, I though..these guys are alright. So went and downloaded the album, and all they have done is rinse, wash and repeat all the way through.

Same with the new single....it sounds like everything else they have done.

I don't think I've ever heard a song by them.

Except that one that the American Idol winner Kris Allen covered. That was The Script, I think. "Live Like We're Dying"? It's okay, as far as bland, inoffensive pop goes.

They're fine as pop bands go, they're much better than most of the crap on the airwaves, and despite cobl04's meltdown, I do think they've got that r&b tinge that Maroon 5 tossed away years ago.

I also take offense to cobl04's rip at the Fray as meaningless, granted their second album wasn't musically interesting and focused far too much on chorus-crafting, but Slade's lyrics on their first album were quite personal to him and evocative, just beacue they became overplayed and the man isn't a poetic genius doesn't make his personal expression meaningless, I'm sure you'd love it if someone treated something you created that way. As a songwriter that bugged me, and I'm not even really a fan of TF

Just an average, pop band that doesn't really warrant much discussion.

They're fine as pop bands go, they're much better than most of the crap on the airwaves, and despite cobl04's meltdown, I do think they've got that r&b tinge that Maroon 5 tossed away years ago.

I also take offense to cobl04's rip at the Fray as meaningless, granted their second album wasn't musically interesting and focused far too much on chorus-crafting, but Slade's lyrics on their first album were quite personal to him and evocative, just beacue they became overplayed and the man isn't a poetic genius doesn't make his personal expression meaningless, I'm sure you'd love it if someone treated something you created that way. As a songwriter that bugged me, and I'm not even really a fan of TF
well no one's personal expression is meaningless, but that's all subjective.

it doesn't help that i know a few Script/Fray fans who think they're among the best bands to ever exist and flood facebook with videos, <3's and the like.

I don't think I've ever heard a song by them.

Except that one that the American Idol winner Kris Allen covered. That was The Script, I think. "Live Like We're Dying"? It's okay, as far as bland, inoffensive pop goes.

That's a cover?! :(.

"Breakeven" was alright the first three months.

It did get the hell played out of it, yes.

I don't mind the song, though, and I do like "The Man Who Can't Be Moved", potentially slightly creepy stalker vibe to the lyrics aside :p. Yeah, their music's very samey, but that's what happens with bands like this, usually.

Greatest thing ever? No. But I can live with them fine :).

Angela

Hmph

So if you add "Bono likes them" or "Larry's heard them" to a thread then it's EYKIW material?

I've only heard one song, had no clue they were a boy band...:huh:

They also opened for U2.

Also, many have made U2 comparisons which The Script have addressed in interviews.

On top of that, Bono's daughter was in a video...

I could have phrased it as "are Script the next U2" to warrant inclusion in the forum but that would have been ridiculous.

Moving on, I think that a lot of U2 fans can be quite elitist in regards to accepting other bands...while....interestingly...the band themselves are not.

I am willing to make this generalization because it is often true.

It is one of the reasons a lot of people seem to hate U2 and their fans and is not a very endearing quality.

IMO, The Script will have a long career with a lot of growth (and become Superstars) and are already quite good. The singer is hyper-talented for one thing and incorporates a diverse range of styles into his singing (pop / rock / reggae / r&b), they have a knack for catchy singles (helpful these days!), and have an extremely pleasing sound. Many of their songs make me want to get up and move which has to be a good thing.

I think it will be important for them to make sure they find a slightly more unique sound to move forward as they are easily "lumped" at this point. Based on what I have seen so far, I think they can do it.

Even though their lyrics are slightly generic still, there is just so much potential there as they are already so talented.

i've never heard them, which is probably a good thing considering they've been compared to Maroon 5 in this thread.

i've never heard them, which is probably a good thing considering they've been compared to Maroon 5 in this thread.

this.

oh wait, they sing the falling to pieces song? i've heard that i think. yeah, i don't even want to say i hate it because it's such a lame and forgettable song that it isn't even worthy of being hated. i take comfort in knowing that if they actually have some kind of popularity at the moment, it won't last and they'll fade into oblivion like all boring-ass similar-sounding bands eventually do sooner than later.

They also opened for U2.

Also, many have made U2 comparisons which The Script have addressed in interviews.

On top of that, Bono's daughter was in a video...

I could have phrased it as "are Script the next U2" to warrant inclusion in the forum but that would have been ridiculous.
Yeah a little more context would have helped... Although I doubt those comparisons would really exist if they weren't Irish.

Moving on, I think that a lot of U2 fans can be quite elitist in regards to accepting other bands...while....interestingly...the band themselves are not.

Given how big U2's fanbase is that's a pretty big statement, and given the diversity of other music we talk about here in interference alone, a very untrue statement.

lemme fix that for ya, because i think this is really what you're trying to say...

Moving on, I think that a lot of U2 fans can be quite elitist in regards to accepting other bands...that i feel they should like just because u2 likes them.

i used to check out pretty much any album, band, or song that bands i liked mentioned in pretty much any capacity. i've gotten into a lot of stuff that way, and broadened my general knowledge of music doing that. but some years ago i realized that just because a band i like either supports (i.e. brings on tour with them, cites as an influence, or even just mentions in an interview when the interviewer asks what's currently in their cd player/on the ipod playlist) doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be my cup of tea, nor is it necessarily going to appeal to every single one of their fans. particularly as bvs said, when it's a band with a fanbase the size of u2's. no matter how amazing i think a band/artist might be based on their own work, when it comes down to it, they're just like the rest of us when it comes to personal music taste: some of it is good, and some of it sounds like crap to me. the only reasoning you're providing behind why people on here should dig this band is through a connection with u2 which has nothing to do with similarities in sound, which is where the flaw in your promotion lies. you wanna break down sonically what you enjoy about the band? ok. you mentioned a few things, and that's good. i don't agree, but that's just my own personal opinion. but this thread started out under the implication that people should like them because u2 likes them, and with that people are going to jump all over the elitist snob bandwagon (i know i am, it's one of the things i do best).

well no one's personal expression is meaningless, but that's all subjective.

it doesn't help that i know a few Script/Fray fans who think they're among the best bands to ever exist and flood facebook with videos, <3's and the like.

Well, thank you for relenting a little, and I know what you mean with people :heart:ing stuff you're not fond of in your face all the time... try growing up with a sibling who is into commercial country music!

Also, despite their sound I was pretty surprised how quickly they went from unknown U2 openers to radio success in America, it was a matter of months after 360 in Dublin when no ine in this country had heard of them and I started to hear them everywhere, and I avoid listening to the radio like the plague.

Back
Top Bottom