So...it's come down to this: the Dropkick Murphys have a new album coming out...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IWasBored

Blue Crack Supplier
...and mofo had to tell me about it.

gone are the days where i sit chomping at the bit for officially released and leaked tracks from a new DKM album months before it comes out. but despite the severe lack of quality in the last album, my retirement from going to see the band live, and a general disinterest in anything DKM post 2005 (which is arguably longer than most fans from the pre-SLSP days), i'm actually kind of psyched. or i'm telling myself that, anyway. instincts to click on a new song, read through all the album-related news on their site are still there, anyway.

so mr. scumbo pointed out this:
How the Dropkick Murphys Got Bruce Springsteen to Guest on Their New Album | Rolling Stone Music

new song stream:
Exclusive Stream: New Dropkick Murphys Song 'Memorial Day' | Rolling Stone Music

which i liked a lot better when it was "bastards on parade." like with the REM stuff, i'm going to avoid it until i've got cd in hand. i don't care for that song at all right now, and don't foresee myself ever actually liking the thing. but despite all my disgruntledness, i will still be buying this thing.

DKM seem to always have bad first single choices.

Even if the Springsteen song is terrible, it's still pretty cool he likes them enough to guest on a song.

true. i tend to forget that because there's still that part of me that expects everything they do to be awesome, even though past records show otherwise. *cough*walkaway*cough* and then there's the tessie/shipping up to boston mess that has been drawn over way too many times to warrant being discussed again. yeah, let's keep that shit out of this thread. forget i mentioned it.

yeah, i'm not expecting any mindblowingly awesome song, but it's cool. kind of like that mike ness solo tune springsteen guest-sang on. that was decent. that's all i'm holding out for.

i think dkm did "american land" with springsteen last time he came to boston. the second show, though, not the one i was at. or maybe it was the tour before last, i'm not sure anymore. but at any rate, i've been meaning to youtube for that. nice reminder.

it's been a while since we had a "mofo and iwb discuss bands no one cares about" thread. i wonder if we can get UL to come out of the woodwork. :up:

I know a bunch of people who really like these guys, and I've tried a few times to get into them (after loving Shipping Up to Boston), and just failing miserably.

I'll give the new one a listen, maybe they'll click for me. Plus, Bruce!

:lol: nah, it's kind of too late for anything like that to sadden me. seriously, though...

a couple years ago it would have irked me, but i've learned not to care. or because the shipping up to boston thing blew any exposure from "tessie" way out of the water that it's almost like me still holding a grudge against people who heard of them when "walk away" was in the o.c. just because i'm a snob at heart. not even the whole "omg they had a song in a video game, they sold out" thing, because i really can't fault any band for making money. it's kind of their job, if the opportunity presents itself, why the hell not cash in on something like that? actually, i just rather would have had the sports thing be related to "time to go" in a hockey game, because that's a far better song. but it's hockey vs. baseball, and this is america. ain't gonna happen.

wait a minute, didn't i say i wasn't turning this into that kind of a thread? new album new album new album!

Time to Go is awesome.

Cori, if the only other things you've heard are from the genreal time period of Shipping Up To Boston's release (as in, same album, and such), it's probably not a huge surprise you didn't enjoy what you heard. If you can remember, let us know what you've heard, and I'm sure IWB or I will happily point you in the direction of some other songs to check out.

i love "time to go."

yeah, what mofo said. pretty much can't go wrong with anything from the first 4 albums. blackout is kind of like the beginning of what the last couple albums have been, but it's like that good album that a band then tries to re-write on subsequent efforts, and it never works out. i still think blackout is a very solid album. that, and the ones before it are fantastic in my mind, but the band that put out do or die is not the same band at all (seriously, it's like 25% of the same band, and at this point ken casey and matt kelly are the only original members of the band, but that's not really an issue because lynch and barr have been there since album 2...so on and so forth). but really, we can break it down and make lists of the straight up punk rock songs, the irish stuff that doesn't suck, and even tell you to stay away from the pipebombs, OTA, citizen cias if that isn't your thing.

yes. i can make lists. i enjoy lists.

Out of the woodwork. For a moment.

I'm amped. Of course, I love all of the band's albums more or less equally, so I don't have any reason not to be. I don't think "Memorial Day" is an amazing song, necessarily, but within the context of the album I think it'll do just fine. I am still one of those people who periodically goes back and checks the website, so I knew it was coming, but I wasn't expecting it to be coming so soon after the announcement.

I guess, for me, I've always liked Ken a lot. Which means that I don't dislike the post-Blackout albums where he and Al split so much of the vocals. In fact, I tend to prefer songs with both of them. I think my ideal album would do something to mix Do or Die with Blackout, but with the hard edge of Meanest. That was a damn bleak album, and it may be part of why I like it so much. But I understand that the band can't write from that place if they're not in it. The move to do a concept album centered around a wake seems really appropriate for them, though, and I think it should be fun. I do think, at the very least, they're resisting stagnation. I know they're an easy target in this context, but I can't help but think of Street Dogs and the most recent album, which was not bad but was so redundant. I feel like, even if DKM are working within similar parameters, they're producing songs that feel unique. Same thing with the latest Social Distortion album - it has a surface feel of Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell, but manages to be Rolling Stones-y and more country than Ness's solo albums at the same time.

UL in the house
banana.gif

UL in the house
banana.gif

woooo!!

oh shit! the new social d album, that's not out yet, right? i kept meaning to find the actual release date for that thing, but there was so much shit going on on their website that it gave me a headache. i've fallen so far out of the loop in terms of what i used to check frequently (partly because when i got the new computer i never imported all my bookmarks, and simply don't have the easy set up for cycling through everything to make sure i know as much as i possibly can. i've lost a lot of motivation, but that's a seperate issue. if it was accessible, i could probably force myself back into some interest in anything).

i've got nothing against ken casey. the man has kicked me in the head countless times, i hold no grudge. jokes aside, splitting the vocals has never been anything of an issue for me. i listen to the hudson falcons, and anyone who can stomach mark linskey's voice would never have any reason complaining about ken casey's (actually, they kind of sound similar).

i do think you're right about the street dogs falling into that rut. i didn't even like the latest album when i first heard it. it grew on me, and i really liked it for a little while, but i'm kind of over that as well. with dkm, i do kind of feel like they've been re-writing blackout now for the past couple albums, and while i do enjoy everything on the warrior's code minus...well, you know the song...meanest did absolutely nothing for me. powerhour and i were discussing it in another thread a little while ago, reading through the song titles i couldn't remember half the songs. i listened to them and realized that i dig things like "echoes" a lot more than i thought i did, and that while i again have forgotten most of the tunes, and most of them were ok while i was listening to them. "god willing" vs. "buried alive" is actually a tough debate for me. i'm not comparing straight up punk rock and roll with the pogues-wannabe stuff, because that's apples and oranges. and it's not even that i don't want to hear al singing, because "world full of hate" and "the green fields of france" were great.

they have expanded the kinds of songs they write, while still doing nothing drastically new. there are the irish/pub sing alongs, there are the straight up punk rock n roll tunes, there are the straight up punk rock tunes with bagpipes in them. there's the token nod to old school hardcore (and while i don't have the dislike for "citizen cia" that i once did, i do think there's a steady decline in quality of those songs. i hate "shattered," mainly), and more recently so than in the past there are some slower songs actually sung. so they've got more of a variety than most bands, in terms of working within a forumula. it doesn't seem unique to me anymore, it seems like a very set formula with a pretty steady decline in number of songs i like. which is why i kind of feel like it's the same album being re-written.

it's hard for me to keep my ridiculously high expectations in check, because i guess secretly if we keep getting a certain kind of song, how come no gauntlet pt 2? how come nothing since blackout has hit me as profoundly awesome as "as one" and had any kind of lasting effect? it couldn't be that ailment that affects 50% of long-term fans of any band where they write off the newer stuff as lesser stuff, and vehemently hate anyone who gets into the band from said stuff, because the sound was new to them and therefore more affecting? no...of course not. heh.

i think dkm did "american land" with springsteen last time he came to boston. the second show, though, not the one i was at. or maybe it was the tour before last, i'm not sure anymore. but at any rate, i've been meaning to youtube for that. nice reminder.

I was at that show - it was just Casey with him, if I recall, but it was fantastic.

I was at that show - it was just Casey with him, if I recall, but it was fantastic.

nice. i thought i read somewhere it was casey and a couple of the newer guys in the band, but regardless, i bet it was pretty badass. and i think had i not got "growin up" and "i'm going down" in the setlist from the boston show i was at, i'd have been really bummed out that i wasn't at night 2.

I hate "Shattered," too, but mostly because the final verse veers too close to homophobic for my taste. It's like "New American Way," which really rubs me the wrong way and seems at odds with the band's values. Of course, with "Shatered," I do think the bigger issue is the broken trust. But combined with the sheer lack of melody, the "governer was gay" line just breaks the song for me.

I think we just get different things out of the band at times. I really don't care about "As One," or most of Blackout after "Bastards on Parade." "Shitfaced" is okay, it grew on me, but the last four or five songs suck the awesome out of the album. I even like "Walkaway," but anything is better than "The Outcast." Still, the other songs on the album are good enough to make it one of my favorites.

As for the Social D - it came out last week. For real.

alright, it's been a long, long time since i've listened to SLSP apparently because i have the chorus to "new american way" however it's meshed itself into the verses from "ramble and roll" in my head. where's my ipod?

listened to "back seat" lately? :lol:

alright, having breezed through the lyrics because my ipod seems to be m.i.a. (i hope i didn't leave it at work), i see what you mean. to me, that song fit a couple tracks away from "the fortunes of war" and all kinds of punk rock unity sing-along-y-ness in the same way the pro-union, working-class, right wing socially, democrat massachusetts mess of contradictions perpetuated in stereotype by the irish catholic background. basically, the guy in "tomorrow's industry," although i think he's too worried about paying the bills and putting food on the table to sit back and contemplate it.

whereas "shattered" is just crap for pretty much every reason you said. even token hardcore songs are catchy in their own way. half of it rhymes, half doesn't where it should if the other half was going to rhyme at all. and yeah, the part at the end there is pretty much akin to saying "omg that's gay" as an insult. overall being about broken trust, yeah, i see that. and you've got a little bit more of a disillusioned outlook on life with "loyal to no one," especially from a band that's been pretty rallying and inclusive in their songs, now singing about a character only out for himself.

i ordered the new social d. i can't believe i missed that. i also ordered the bad religion album that came out back in september because i still hadn't gotten around to picking that up (although that was intentional, i was less than impressed with new maps, and trying to dissuade myself from dropping +200 bucks on the vinyl 30th anniversary every album BR ever released set including into the unknown even).

and you've got a little bit more of a disillusioned outlook on life with "loyal to no one," especially from a band that's been pretty rallying and inclusive in their songs, now singing about a character only out for himself.

i ordered the new social d. i can't believe i missed that. i also ordered the bad religion album that came out back in september because i still hadn't gotten around to picking that up (although that was intentional, i was less than impressed with new maps, and trying to dissuade myself from dropping +200 bucks on the vinyl 30th anniversary every album BR ever released set including into the unknown even).

I actually really like "Loyal to No One." It's a bit more condemnatory, but the disdain comes, I think, from the more inclusive perspective.

Regarding the new Bad Religion album - I really like it. Quite a bit. That means nothing for you, of course. I think the first half is stellar and that there are definite highlights throughout the second half. "Only Rain" and "The Devil in Stitches," possibly also "The Day the Earth Stalled" and "Wrong Way Kids," are among my favorite songs of 2010.

I actually really like "Loyal to No One." It's a bit more condemnatory, but the disdain comes, I think, from the more inclusive perspective.

while i don't particularly like the song, it stands out as different from pretty much every other song i can think of that they've ever recorded. so it's mildly interesting enough for me to remember it when i don't remember a whole hell of a lot from that album in general.

Regarding the new Bad Religion album - I really like it. Quite a bit. That means nothing for you, of course.

well, not yet...a couple more days, though. and honestly, i will be inclined to pay closer attention to the songs you liked because i respect your opinion. it's also bad fuckin' religion. even though i don't really like no substance or new maps compared...well, all of the rest of their albums, there's no such thing as a truly crappy bad religion album. then this will become the dkm/bad religion/social d thread. and i can bemoan the number of ignorant children i've run into at shows over the years who have a saddening lack of knowledge regarding said bands. there's a theme, i've noticed--the most glaringly depressing of these unfortunate episode occurred at the warped tour. you can come at "punk rock" in whatever angle of sub-genres, time frames, records labels, obscure local to mainstream, and i find it incredibly difficult to believe it possible without having ever heard of social distortion. and not even simple plan fans should have been oblivious to "american jesus."

I thought I had another DKM album besides a singles collection that was stored, funnily enough, with my Boondock Saints DVD. And I guess this is technically all their Hellcat EPs on one CD. *searches again* Ah, I was thinking of my Pogues albums. Anyways, I've been wanting to get more into these guys. Should I start with Sing Loud, Sing Proud?

i'd say SLSP is just about the best starting point i can think of, either that or blackout. probably better than the first two to start, and definitely better than the last two at any rate.

i like how the singles collections are hardly singles collections, but mainly b-sides, live tracks, and covers/b-sides from out of print 7"s. kinda the opposite of a singles collection, really.

The original St. Patty's day album, though a live album, was the first thing of theirs I got. It was a good place to start at the time for me personally.

The original St. Patty's day album, though a live album, was the first thing of theirs I got. It was a good place to start at the time for me personally.

yeah true, i hadn't thought of that. as far as live albums go (and i don't particularly like them), that one is pretty darn good.

i have no idea as to this movie of which you speak. it doesn't have anything to do with the song on the last street dogs album by the same title, if that helps?

Back
Top Bottom