So...it's come down to this: the Dropkick Murphys have a new album coming out... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #16
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 09:44 AM
Agreed.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:44 AM
I hate "Shattered," too, but mostly because the final verse veers too close to homophobic for my taste. It's like "New American Way," which really rubs me the wrong way and seems at odds with the band's values. Of course, with "Shatered," I do think the bigger issue is the broken trust. But combined with the sheer lack of melody, the "governer was gay" line just breaks the song for me.

I think we just get different things out of the band at times. I really don't care about "As One," or most of Blackout after "Bastards on Parade." "Shitfaced" is okay, it grew on me, but the last four or five songs suck the awesome out of the album. I even like "Walkaway," but anything is better than "The Outcast." Still, the other songs on the album are good enough to make it one of my favorites.

As for the Social D - it came out last week. For real.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:44 AM
alright, it's been a long, long time since i've listened to SLSP apparently because i have the chorus to "new american way" however it's meshed itself into the verses from "ramble and roll" in my head. where's my ipod?

listened to "back seat" lately?

alright, having breezed through the lyrics because my ipod seems to be m.i.a. (i hope i didn't leave it at work), i see what you mean. to me, that song fit a couple tracks away from "the fortunes of war" and all kinds of punk rock unity sing-along-y-ness in the same way the pro-union, working-class, right wing socially, democrat massachusetts mess of contradictions perpetuated in stereotype by the irish catholic background. basically, the guy in "tomorrow's industry," although i think he's too worried about paying the bills and putting food on the table to sit back and contemplate it.

whereas "shattered" is just crap for pretty much every reason you said. even token hardcore songs are catchy in their own way. half of it rhymes, half doesn't where it should if the other half was going to rhyme at all. and yeah, the part at the end there is pretty much akin to saying "omg that's gay" as an insult. overall being about broken trust, yeah, i see that. and you've got a little bit more of a disillusioned outlook on life with "loyal to no one," especially from a band that's been pretty rallying and inclusive in their songs, now singing about a character only out for himself.

i ordered the new social d. i can't believe i missed that. i also ordered the bad religion album that came out back in september because i still hadn't gotten around to picking that up (although that was intentional, i was less than impressed with new maps, and trying to dissuade myself from dropping +200 bucks on the vinyl 30th anniversary every album BR ever released set including into the unknown even).
Old 01-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
and you've got a little bit more of a disillusioned outlook on life with "loyal to no one," especially from a band that's been pretty rallying and inclusive in their songs, now singing about a character only out for himself.

i ordered the new social d. i can't believe i missed that. i also ordered the bad religion album that came out back in september because i still hadn't gotten around to picking that up (although that was intentional, i was less than impressed with new maps, and trying to dissuade myself from dropping +200 bucks on the vinyl 30th anniversary every album BR ever released set including into the unknown even).
I actually really like "Loyal to No One." It's a bit more condemnatory, but the disdain comes, I think, from the more inclusive perspective.

Regarding the new Bad Religion album - I really like it. Quite a bit. That means nothing for you, of course. I think the first half is stellar and that there are definite highlights throughout the second half. "Only Rain" and "The Devil in Stitches," possibly also "The Day the Earth Stalled" and "Wrong Way Kids," are among my favorite songs of 2010.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnforgettableLemon View Post
I actually really like "Loyal to No One." It's a bit more condemnatory, but the disdain comes, I think, from the more inclusive perspective.
while i don't particularly like the song, it stands out as different from pretty much every other song i can think of that they've ever recorded. so it's mildly interesting enough for me to remember it when i don't remember a whole hell of a lot from that album in general.

Quote:
Regarding the new Bad Religion album - I really like it. Quite a bit. That means nothing for you, of course.
well, not yet...a couple more days, though. and honestly, i will be inclined to pay closer attention to the songs you liked because i respect your opinion. it's also bad fuckin' religion. even though i don't really like no substance or new maps compared...well, all of the rest of their albums, there's no such thing as a truly crappy bad religion album. then this will become the dkm/bad religion/social d thread. and i can bemoan the number of ignorant children i've run into at shows over the years who have a saddening lack of knowledge regarding said bands. there's a theme, i've noticed--the most glaringly depressing of these unfortunate episode occurred at the warped tour. you can come at "punk rock" in whatever angle of sub-genres, time frames, records labels, obscure local to mainstream, and i find it incredibly difficult to believe it possible without having ever heard of social distortion. and not even simple plan fans should have been oblivious to "american jesus."
Old 01-31-2011, 01:46 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

I thought I had another DKM album besides a singles collection that was stored, funnily enough, with my Boondock Saints DVD. And I guess this is technically all their Hellcat EPs on one CD. *searches again* Ah, I was thinking of my Pogues albums. Anyways, I've been wanting to get more into these guys. Should I start with Sing Loud, Sing Proud?
Old 01-31-2011, 09:07 AM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

i'd say SLSP is just about the best starting point i can think of, either that or blackout. probably better than the first two to start, and definitely better than the last two at any rate.

i like how the singles collections are hardly singles collections, but mainly b-sides, live tracks, and covers/b-sides from out of print 7"s. kinda the opposite of a singles collection, really.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:48 PM   #23
Blue Meth Addict

The original St. Patty's day album, though a live album, was the first thing of theirs I got. It was a good place to start at the time for me personally.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
The original St. Patty's day album, though a live album, was the first thing of theirs I got. It was a good place to start at the time for me personally.
yeah true, i hadn't thought of that. as far as live albums go (and i don't particularly like them), that one is pretty darn good.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

hey look, another song.

Alt Press | Features | Exclusive Stream: Dropkick Murphys “Hang ‘Em High”

i guess it's ok. i'm a little preoccupied with something unrelated at the moment, so i'm going to hold off trying to form an actual opinon at the moment.

in other news, my interpunk order arrived today. i haven't listened to either the bad religion or the social d yet. i should go do that.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #26
Blue Meth Addict

If it's about the movie, I'll listen to it ASAP. If not, I won't.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

i have no idea as to this movie of which you speak. it doesn't have anything to do with the song on the last street dogs album by the same title, if that helps?
Old 02-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #28
Blue Meth Addict

Hang 'Em High (1968) - IMDb
Old 02-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

i guess i should have known that.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:44 PM
stand up and fight, and i'll stand up with you (we shall succeed!)