so....is Bob dylan washed up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adypole

Refugee
I live where I don't wanna drown, but god I'm goin
What do you think?

The legendary bob dylan, despite his notoriously ironic reputation as a ''bad'' singer*, is undoubtably the 20th centurys most iconic poet and a genius of a songwriter. However, it is debatable weather he still has it in him. and so, I think we should consider the debate and create one: Is Bob Dylan washed up? Does he still have it in him?

opinions.

And personally, I think his charismatic voice makes up for general lack of techinical ability. I love his singing. Don't stone me...but I guess everyone must get stoned :lol:

christ!

I'm sorry to have informed you that not everyone thinks Dylan is capable of what he used to be capable of. Including himself. So go tell Bob to shut his mouth, not me. I love his later stuff. things have changed, someday baby...

I'm a new and huge fan and interested in the guy. Just tell me what the hell you think of him.:doh:

The phrase "washed up" will never, ever apply to Bob Dylan, even when/if he stops making records and touring, or even if he makes a bad record. It's just ... wrong.

The phrase "washed up" will never, ever apply to Bob Dylan, even when/if he stops making records and touring, or even if he makes a bad record. It's just ... wrong.

Agreed. And despite the fact that last summer was probably my least favorite Dylan show of the half dozen I've seen, I'm still really looking forward to the new album.

Yeah, im not going to be a sheep in here.

Dylan is a wonderful wordsmith, and poet. He should have written books, and written songs for other people. I can;t listen to him, he is awful

Despite liking all kinds of artists from his era (including Robbie Robertson and The Band), I've never really gotten into Dylan, so I don't have an opinion one way or the other. But it does strike me funny that Bob is this sacred cow to many, beyond criticism.

Yeah, im not going to be a sheep in here.

Dylan is a wonderful wordsmith, and poet. He should have written books, and written songs for other people. I can;t listen to him, he is awful

Oh, I think you'll be a sheep.

violin_string_maker_crap_jobs_work_sheep_cartoon_sex_lambs_to_the_slaughter.jpg

That picture shouldn't be here.

ETA: Thanks for changing it, Dalton.

Dylan said himself in his 60 min interview that he cant do now what he done before, here is the interview.....

YouTube - Bob Dylan - 2004 - "60 Minutes" interview pt.1

my personal opinion is that, Dylan in his younger years was streets ahead of evrybody else, now in his sixtys I think he still is an exceptional songwriter, but I think like most other songwriters he has lost some of his magic with age.

I think comparing the Dylan of yesteryear to the Dylan of today can't be done. He's settled well into the elder statesman role. Obviously he's not going to be a provocateur like he was in his youth, but his songwriting is still exceptional. His last three albums are right up there with his previous work.

The man hasn't lost it. He's the best there ever was and even today's output still resides in a very exclusive upper tier.

Modern Times was his first #1 in ages. His last three albums have received about the highest critical reception possible, all of them winning the "album of the year" award in the Village Voice's national critics poll, with Time Out of Mind also winning a Grammy for the same category.

What's the point of this thread again?

Modern Times was great, I'm not a big fan of the rest of his recent output, although I've never listened to it all that much. But I am looking forward to his new one!

Its one thing to not enjoy his voice, its another to not recognize his lyrical talent, can't really be denied no matter what kind of music you listen to.

Modern Times was great, I'm not a big fan of the rest of his recent output, although I've never listened to it all that much. But I am looking forward to his new one!

:confused: What recent output are you talking about? Modern Times is his latest album (until the end of next week or so). I'd count that recent output.

:confused: What recent output are you talking about? Modern Times is his latest album (until the end of next week or so). I'd count that recent output.

He said "the rest of his recent output". I guess he's talking about "Love and Theft" and Time Out of Mind. I guess, not sure if that's what he meant.

Yes, that's what I meant. I've been meaning to give them another listen, but haven't gotten around to it.

When we're talking about an artist that's been releasing music this long, I'd say anything released in the past decade is recent.

the word "washed up" can't apply to somebody who a) never had any great musical talent (other than his writing) in teh first place, and b) has never really cared about being commercialy succesful at all.

dylan isn't a fucking legend because of how great a singer he was, or how great a guitar player he was.

dylan's a legend because he's bob fucking dylan, and you're not. maybe you're washed up.

Back
Top Bottom