Smile Smile - Truth on Tape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
These guys are sort of a local band, well, they're from the DFW area at any rate, and I saw them open for Bowling for Soup last year (I have no idea why they were opening for BFS. It was the oddest band pairing I've ever seen). Then, I ended up enjoying their act so much, I bought tickets for a second BFS show, so I could see them again. They have a bit of a folk vibe going, but it's that jangly kind of folk. Their new album comes out on Tuesday, but it's streaming here:

Truth on Tape

And this is the song that really made me kind of fall in love with them (plus, the video's kind of kick ass):

YouTube - Smile Smile "Beg You To Stay

If you want a rather nice summary of their story and their sound, this "review" (promo) sums it up pretty well:

Hip Video Promo - Music Video Promotion
Excerpt:
...That said, there's no denying that those fans are concentrated in Smile Smile's hometown of Dallas, where guitarist/singer Ryan Hamilton and pianist/singer Jencey Hirunrusme are considered underground celebrities and rock royalty. Longtime favorites of the Dallas mainstream press -- the Observer has praised their "brilliantly unconventional songwriting and smart harmonies" -- the duo have established themselves as one of the city's most consistently entertaining bands. And as so frequently happens in tightly-knit independent-music scenes, the personal lives of the principal characters become public. Dallas music listeners know that Hamilton and Hirunrusme were once a couple; they also know that despite a typically ugly breakup, they continue to harmonize beautifully onstage. Perhaps acknowledging that there was no ducking their story, Smile Smile has decided instead to embrace it. Truth On Tape, their upcoming full-length, is a brutally-honest examination of a relationship in disarray, sung from the perspectives of two young lovers with the best intentions -- and a propensity for making the worst mistakes. Candid and courageous, it's also remarkably tuneful, catchy, and sonically adventurous. The romantic desolation is real, but Smile Smile always communicates an irreducible sense of hope.

Anyways, I thought I'd share. Their music is incredibly pleasant, though not the greatest thing ever written. Plus, they featured a video I shot of them on their website, so I figured I'd pimp them a bit ;)

I dunno, if Ryan wrote these songs largely about her, I can't help but think that Jencey's presence on this record undercuts its intimacy somewhat. Had they written these songs separately and traded off on lead vocals, Rumors style, I think this would have hit a little harder. I mean, this is clearly his album, and she's always looking over his shoulder. What's cathartic about that? Labor Of Love is one of the songs that really clicks in that regard, and it's Ryan solo.

The record is very pleasant though, certainly worth a listen. Somebody Else is a keeper. Beg You To Stay reminds me of the Flaming Lips circa Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, or possibly Neutral Milk Hotel.

I dunno, if Ryan wrote these songs largely about her, I can't help but think that Jencey's presence on this record undercuts its intimacy somewhat. Had they written these songs separately and traded off on lead vocals, Rumors style, I think this would have hit a little harder. I mean, this is clearly his album, and she's always looking over his shoulder. What's cathartic about that? Labor Of Love is one of the songs that really clicks in that regard, and it's Ryan solo.

The record is very pleasant though, certainly worth a listen. Somebody Else is a keeper. Beg You To Stay reminds me of the Flaming Lips circa Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, or possibly Neutral Milk Hotel.

It's interesting that you mention that, because, as far as I understand, the lyrics to some of these songs were original just something he sent her to vent out how pissed off at her he was that she cheated on him/left him, and she kind of pushed him into keeping the band together/turning them into songs. So, what you're saying is probably pretty accurate.

Listening to this for the second time now, and my only real qualm is how awful the sequencing is. They kind of dropped the ball there.

Actually, here's The Story (in comic strip form):

SMILE_comic1_web.jpg
SMILE_comic2_web.jpg

10 whole posts over 2 years by a grand total of 2 individual posters. They're hot hot shit.

That song has a great chorus, but the verses let me down so very much.

I'm really excited to hear their new album, though. Not sure exactly when it's coming out, but I know it's soon.

So, I just purchased their album the other day and it came in the mail today. I vowed I'd hear it before the year was over, and I'm keeping that promise.

I'd thought about reviewing it on my blog, but it just seems too "old" a release to do that now. Eh, maybe I'll do it anyways.

Regardless, this album is definitely an improvement over their last. The thing is, I can't be encouraged by that fact, due to half the band's on-line behavior.

Ryan, who really is most of the band (Jencey mostly does backing vocals), is being such a little bitch about the fact that the band hasn't blown up the way he thought they would. I can't imagine what it must be like to taste fame (they did get that one commercial, they were touted around a couple of years ago as the next big thing on a few morning shows, etc) and then never quite aspire to it, but I have to think attitude is everything here. It's only their 3rd album, after all.

I mean, just look at shit like this (from December 19th)

398384_10152411920220495_739384085_n.png

Well, Jencey got married and I'm bitchy about it, so I was going to break up the band, but oh, look! MTVU, nevermind.

I try not to let individual members of bands make me despise them, but I've been kind of pissed off with him for a couple of months now, part of the reason it took me this long to hear an album that came out about 4 months ago.

Well, after all that negativity, if you still want to hear the lead single (you should, it's quite good), please do so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTCA-dO2RaY

Back
Top Bottom