Smashing Pumpkins- Oceania

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Von Schloopen

Refugee
Finishing my second run thru. B+ album. Would've been perfect after "Machina." A far more thought out album than the horrid "Zeitgeist." It has none of the unfocused aggression that made that record such a chore. That record contained too much over the top rock that went nowhere. This one doesn't. It's deceptively mellow. With it's necessary monster moments.

The highlights-

Celestials- synthy and acoustic. Running through a lot of chord changes. It starts to get a little pointed, with a bouncy little bass line, until it just rips open. Wide open, with the requesite distortion and guitar histrionics. But he never abandons the song for wanking.

Pinwheels- beautiful. A wonderful repetative key noodle flows into a super 70s guitar riff, and just when I think it's gonna explode, it goes acoustic with a nice vocal melody.

Oceania- The 9 minute one. Several segments, The first being an "Adore" styled moper. But with ascending guitars. It open up a bit, I'm kinda expecting a "Silverfuck" jam, but it goes left turn into toy pianos and acoustic guitars. A campfire tune. Billy isn't annoying me. Then it gets funky. Suddenly Adam and Larry circa 1985 are in the band, then there's a Edge style solo and indulgent guitar outro. 9 go by like 5.

The Chimera- Glorious riff pop/rock. It's actually a very welcome sound. Most of the album isn't this, which makes this so nice. Reminding me of "Rocket", but faster.

Inkless- Sludgy riff rock, with a fine sense of melody. Doubled guitars, and nice backing vocals. Up. I'm liking this new band.

Nice record. It's got some sun in it, and it reveals it in a nice way. Good flow. Can't really point to a bad track. It holds up as an album.

Couldn't even finish it. I'll try again though some day. Maybe.

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, but I actually enjoyed the album a little bit.

Verdict's still out, but there's a few songs on there that I enjoyed. One Diamond, One Heart is really good too.

Just listened to it - great album! And I'm not just saying this because of low expectations - I was actually cautiously optimistic, and it certainly surpassed whatever I was expecting. Certainly in my top 5 of the year so far :hyper:

I've got it but I haven't listened to it all the way through from start to finish yet. I have listened to a couple songs off this when they pop up on shuffle mode. I think my favorite (from what I've heard so far) is Violet Rays. I really like that floating keyboard riff in that song. I'll prob sit around and listen to it tonight.

If you're a Pumpkins fan, you'll generally like this. It's not great or anything and the last half kind of drags, but it is quite good at mimicking their classic sound while a few of the tracks (especially "Pinwheels") are definitely noteworthy and stand up among their best.

Back
Top Bottom