Silversun Pickups: Carnavas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boosterjuice

Refugee
ANyone listen to Silversun pickups? I heard them live about 6 months ago and they didn't impress me that much.

I've noticed they've been getting a lot of airplay on Sirius Alt Rock station so I thought i'd give their album a try. My verdict: Not bad at all!

Give em try.

"Well thought out twinkles" and "Lazy Eye" are probably their strongest songs. Album sounds much better than they do live.

Re: Re: Silversun Pickups: Carnavas

I'm going to be seeing them in a week and a bit opening for snow patrol...I think I might have to check a few tracks out!

martha said:

This can be a problem.

My friend thinks the same with Placebo. Really Good in the Studio...but are just missing something live.....

I have seen them live.. and they are so much better live than studio.. IMO..

I hadn't heard of them until I saw them open up for Snow Patrol along with OK GO back in March.. And they rocked the house.. were really good..! :D

I saw them live and wasn't impressed at all. To get ready for their concert I got the song "Lazy Eye" which is good. But every song live sounded the same.

Cute Irish Bono said:

I do say I was impressed by the girl bassist.

The girl could barely play! 90% of the time she only played one string on her bass guitar. And every time she sang she seemed completely embarrassed and unsure of herself - it was kind of weird. Though she was cute, and maybe that's what you meant when you were impressed by her.

That being said, I think they are better live than on the album. They're very energetic. Seeing them open for Snow Patrol is of course not going to be as good as seeing them headlining. There is never going to be as much crowd enthusiasm.

Little Lover's So Polite is my favorite.

If they make a big jump forward with their recording skills, their next album could be fantastic.

I'm fairly late on this one, but I finally picked this album up and am enjoying it quite a bit more than I was expecting. I find it interesting that the opinions on their live show vary so much. I actually finally decided I liked them while watching them play on the KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas webcast, as they sounded quite good and were having a lot of fun. I was looking around my playlist yesterday morning and realized I had a live EP of theirs I had gotten free from a CD store at some point in time. Listened to it and decided to go get the album.

I was hesitant at first from all the "they sound just like the Smashing Pumpkins" comments/impressions, but I actually find they sound far more like a lot of the great dreampop/shoegaze era groups (which I love) than SP (though I certainly can see the comparisons in his voice, and a few very SP-esque tracks.....and the make up of the band being 2 white guys, an asian guy, and a female bass player is certainly pretty funny).

Similar to what everyone else has mentioned here, my favs are Lazy Eye, Well Thought Out Twinkles, Little Lover's So Polite, etc. I'm actually surprised how many of the tracks I really enjoy. Anyone have their debut, Pikul?

Last edited:
Pikul has a stellar track on it called "Kissing Families". It was the song that first got me into this band. Carnavas is terrific, one of my favorites from 06. heard "Well Thought Out Twinkles" on a car commercial recently. :sigh:

New Silversun Pickups album on April 14th!

Silversun Pickups Ready Sophomore Album Swoon | Pitchfork

Swoon:

01 There's No Secrets This Year
02 Swoon
03 The Royal We
04 Growing Old Is Getting Old
05 It's Nice to Know You Work Alone
06 Panic Switch
07 Draining
08 Substitution
09 Sort Of
10 Catch and Release
11 Broken Bottles
12 Seasick
13 Surrounded

I look forward to this, I really enjoyed the last one. :up:

This is apparently the new album cover:

51oUXK3LBnL._SS500_.jpg

'Melatonin' is a great tune.

In other words, I’m guessing that the new record may be worth a spin.

I enjoy Lazy Eye, but the rest of Carnavas was unbearably awful to me. I probably won't listen to Swoon unless it gets highly favorable reviews from everyone.

Panic Switch is one of my fave songs of the year. That performance rocked. I am a slave to that bassline. Kickass f'ng bassline.

Back
Top Bottom