Sigur Rós Párt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jonsi, babysitting. Notice his adorable mismatched socks.

socks.jpg

I've been so sick, haven't been Interwebing much, but I did draaaaaaaaaaaag my sick, wheezy, mucus-y self up to Santa Barbara and saw the S.B. Bowl show last Friday.

They were great. I'm sure, had I been feeling better, I would've thought they were phenomenal, but as I was shivering and trying not hack up a lung, my experience was somewhat compromised. Last time I saw them was in '06, so it was hard for me to remember to compare, but I thought they were just as good as I remembered.

They played my favorite song, 'Svefn-g-englar', and the accompanying light show . . . well, that WAS phenomenal! It was very beautiful.

Jonsi, babysitting. Notice his adorable mismatched socks.

:cute:

I've been so sick, haven't been Interwebing much, but I did draaaaaaaaaaaag my sick, wheezy, mucus-y self up to Santa Barbara and saw the S.B. Bowl show last Friday.

They were great. I'm sure, had I been feeling better, I would've thought they were phenomenal, but as I was shivering and trying not hack up a lung, my experience was somewhat compromised. Last time I saw them was in '06, so it was hard for me to remember to compare, but I thought they were just as good as I remembered.

They played my favorite song, 'Svefn-g-englar', and the accompanying light show . . . well, that WAS phenomenal! It was very beautiful.

I'm sorry you had less than a magnificent experience (but glad you got your favorite song!). Something similar happened with me at a Springsteen show last Fall. He was great, but I had an off night.

That venue is freaking awesome, would be a cool place to see them.

Yes.

Probably a ridiculous thing to say after only hearing it twice, but that may be my favorite Sigur Ros song since Takk-era.

It's good! I like both Brennisteinn and Kveikur better but that just means this is probably going to be my favorite SR record since Takk. I also like Jónsi's vocals better when they aren't over-produced, which I think maybe this is a little bit but that's just me (and it's no big deal).

So that's my ridiculous comment after two listens.

So excited for this record. I like all the songs a lot so far.

I like the percussion they've got going on on these new songs.

This could actually be another (minor) hit for them.

As HG said when we saw them, you know new material is good when that's what you are actually waiting to hear at a live show.

It's alright. It has that same jangly, syrupy sound of the Med record (and I feel some of those songs were better). It's the only new song I've heard so far, but some other tracks are supposedly heavier so I'm looking forward to the record.

Strange, one of my friends and I were talking about how happy we are that they've gone back to a similar "pop" sound they had on () and Takk, and not Med, with this song.

( ) had a "pop" sound?

It sounds to me like a cousin to Inni mer syngur vitleysyngur. An inferior one at that. I've listened to other two songs from the record and I like those more. Brennisteinn especially sounds really good.

I guess in general the pop sounds like Gobbledigook and even Hoppípolla to a lesser degree are less interesting to me than their heavier stuff (for lack of a better description in this moment), and this new song today reminds me of those, rather than Med as a whole. But none of the four new songs I heard live sounded anything like "pop SR."

edit: And yes, agree about the Inni mer syngur vitleysyngur comparison, too.

1, 4, and 6 (I'm old school and still refer to them the same as when there was no way to name the songs) all have "poppy" moments, mostly in the crescendos, that carried on into entire songs on Takk.

Hoppipolla is probably one of my favorite songs of the last decade, so I'm going to like anything with any sort of similarity. I guess I see far more similarities between the poppy moments in the early era and this song than the silliness Med had. Whatevs.

I don't really hear Inni Mer Singur in this song at all. It's definitely better though.

I guess I'll keep listening to it before I make any more proclamations about what it does and does not sound like. :wink:

I don't know that I've ever thought of Sigur Ros in terms of light or heavy post-rock. They're just kind of their own thing. Actually, I'm not sure how I would feel about a "heavy" Sigur Ros album, I get plenty of that from Swans and Godspeed.

As HG said when we saw them, you know new material is good when that's what you are actually waiting to hear at a live show.

Kveikur live :drool:

Brennisteinn live :panic: :sick: :drool:

The new songs just sounded so good, you guys. Thinking that this latest one, Ísjaki, will lighten the sheer face-melting power of the other two and any others like them on the record.

I hope it's like the "Garbage Man Can" segment U2 was involved in.

Maybe not.

Back
Top Bottom