Sigur Rós Párt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The show was well worth flying to Utah for. Fantastic show, setlist, visuals, venue acoustics, seats, etc. best show of theirs I've been to. So good.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I cannot explain how good last night's show was. If you're considering seeing them on this tour, do it. You will not regret it, best Sigur Ros show I've seen.

I think I was more blown away the first time I saw them, only because it was new and I had no idea what to expect. This was excellent, but not quite as mind-blowing.

That's great to hear. I'm catching them next week, and couldn't be more excited. I've never seen them before, so it should be fun.

The show I saw on their previous tour is still the best concert I've ever been to. It was my first time and I was blown away.

Not sure if the tour you guys are talking about is the same one that I just saw, but yeah, it's an exceptional show. Just got home. I really respect what they're doing, this is obviously the show they want to play, they're not catering to casuals or anything like that.

It's split in two halves, which is a bit weird, with an interval, not something I've really experienced much before, but it works, honestly. First song was a bit boring, second much better (I'm not going to bother trying to list the songs I'll just post the set below - the only tracks I knew were the two Takk tracks and Kveikur) and then came Glosoli, which I feel, along with Hoppipola, are their most popular/well-known tracks (I could be way off base there though, as I've only heard Takk and Kveikur, not brackets or the foetus album). It was great but was comfortably overshadowed by a handful of other tracks in the set.

The main set closed with what I'm guessing is a new song (looks like they're playing four new songs..?) and that was one of the highlights for me. Nearly had my eyes watering, it was really beautiful. Saegolpour was tremendous, Festival outstanding (has more impact than Glosoli imo) and Popplagio was just an immense closer, without a doubt the highlight of the night. I didn't realise it was the same song as "untitled 8". Jonsi fell into the mic and sent it flying off the stage and left the stage holding his head and the drummer (who had taken his shirt off in anticipation of a real rousing stomper) smashed up the drum kit at the end. Their definitive live song, you'd have to say.

I get the impression Jonsi is a bit of a miserable cunt, but then he looked pretty pumped up when he came out to bows (twice!!) at the end of the show. We were all cheering and expecting an encore, but they went off twice and came back on twice, just to bow. THat was pretty weird. He mumbled something in Icelandic before Popplagio that no one could understand, but that was it. They also had some protest merch and a protest photo at the end - context for others here they played Margaret Court Arena, which is named after an old Aussie tennis player who was an absolute champion, but she's also a gigantic homophobe, so every artist who plays at MCA now protests. (Also, Jonsi's married to a man, if memory serves me correctly????)

The show couldn't really compare to the first time I saw them back in 2012 I think it was - it was in my hometown, at a 19th century mansion with the sun setting in the background and it was magical - but it was still very good. I could have sworn that first gig there was like 10 people on stage though. not three.

A shout out as well to the staging - the screen at the back had some pretty amazing visuals and the lighting rig setup was really unique and added a lot. Really great show.

Nice review. Popplagid is definitely their quintessential song. Have they ever even ended their show on another song than that one since its release?

Can't wait for their show in a few months time. Their new album is also taking a really long time.

I enjoyed your review too. You definitely saw the same show joyful and I saw last autumn, with the intermission, similar setlist, and stage setup. And this is a departure for them, to have it be just Jónsi, Goggi, and Orri. In the past they've toured with horn and string players.

I love the special protest shirt they made but couldn't justify spending $40 to get one.

Also, my perception is that Jónsi is shy and reserved rather than miserable. Especially the last time I met him, he was very kind and even smiley. The fact that he came out to meet fans and stayed until he had chatted with everyone says a lot.

Wish they'd used the visuals a bit more - majority of songs it seemed to be quite minimal but a few songs it was epic - faces with needles coming out of them, Streets homage (I'm sure it's not actually got anything to do U2 but fuck it). The second half used it really awesomely well.

And yeah, when he came out for the bows he seemed really taken by how into it everyone was. It was really funny actually, it was all seated on the floor, but there was this one fat dude near the front who was getting really into it, and he was the only bloke standing, he was on the rail and during Popplagio he was like urgently requesting Jonsi come nearer him and Jonsi actually did it, he kept paying him attention, it was really funny.

Also, my perception is that Jónsi is shy and reserved rather than miserable.

Yes. I've heard nothing but good things about him from various acquaintances who have had collaborative experiences with him. He actually seems like a real sweetheart to me though used to have a reputation as a difficult interviewee because he's so shy.

It kind of messed with my head when I was in Chicago seeing Hamilton and then U2, only to discover that SR were playing, too, because if I could have squeezed in one more sensory overload thing that day I would have.

Glad you enjoyed the show, cobbler.

Last edited:
I was in Boston for work, and SR played there the night I had to fly back to Phoenix. So close! I hated not being able to see them.

Bumping this thread to say that Sigur Rós have released an album of the highlights from their summertime drive last year around Route One in Iceland.

Jónsi and Alex have also put out an EP called All Animals. I haven’t listened to it yet, but I’m looking forward to spending time with it tonight.

I’m about halfway through Liminal. It makes me feel like I’ve been abducted by polite, creepy aliens, and as we hurtle toward the void, the emptiness of space is both beautiful and terrifying.

I listened to it last night for the first time as well, I enjoyed it thought I can't claim to have paid the closest of attention. Probably not designed to pay super close attention to though. Were all the Sigur Ros songs other than the Untitled 6 remix new, or was I REALLY not paying close enough attention?

I’ve mostly been listening to the second half of Liminal. I haven’t researched whether some of these are new Sigur Rós songs, but I am feeling the remixes of ( ) 6 and Boy 1904. Flux always makes me think my headphones are about to electrocute me, but in a good way. I wish they would release an 8, 10, or 12 hour mix of this thing. Not as good as a true SR album, but I’m still here for it.

Awful stuff. What the fuck is wrong with men?

Also, how does one resign as band member? Don't you just quit? It's not an appointment!

Awful stuff. What the fuck is wrong with men?

Also, how does one resign as band member? Don't you just quit? It's not an appointment!
The first question is what I wanted to ask as well. I'm still flabbergasted by how prevalent this is, especially in arts/showbusiness sector.

The first question is what I wanted to ask as well. I'm still flabbergasted by how prevalent this is, especially in arts/showbusiness sector.

Sadly, women are not flabbergasted by how prevalent it is. We've always known. And men would have known, too, if they'd been listening and watching and calling other men out. I never ever had one man stand up for me when they witnessed harassment.

SR are down to only two of the original members which is very sad. I wish Kjartan would come back. Orri, if the allegations prove true (and I believe women), can fuck right off.

I'll be the first to admit that I should have acted better, ie intervened, in many cases. However, I have never witnessed or heard about instances myself this serious, ie actual rape. And from all the stories coming out I get the impression that it was worse in the showbusiness industry.

His Facebook statement is quite good, a lot better than the statement of most people who are accused.

The Liminal mixtape now has an additional hour of music added to it. On Spotify, it's listed under Liminal 2, or you can check out the original mix, and the new hour has been added to the beginning of it.

A couple SR-related notes today...

Three albums' worth of previously unreleased electronic music from Jónsi has been released. From the Sigur Rós twitter: "Frakkur was the artist name jónsi used for his experiments in electronic music in the early years of the 21st century. the legacy is three collections of work totalling 24 tracks at 108 minutes." I've only started listening to it, but it's a lot of chimes and glitchy sound effects so far.

And I want to throw out there that Liminal 2 is even prettier than Liminal. The track "The Harbinger" by Alex Somers is especially lovely.

that album is now older than i was when i listened to it obsessively in school. another brick in the "we're all old now" wall

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom