shuttlecock XXIV: it's the little swings - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2019, 08:38 PM   #106
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:58 AM
Are we preparing to say goodbye? It sounds like we're getting ready to say goodbye. I'm not ready for that yet, so I'm just going to go on the notion that we're all just very nostalgic.

This place... What can I possibly say other than I actually inquired about purchasing it to make sure it didn't go away.

When I think of where I was when I first became a "regular" vs where I am now, it's mind boggling. I think everyone can agree that "peak" interference was around the vertigo tour. I was at the time going through some crazy shit in my personal and professional life.

This was the place I turned to. I know I was (am?) a dick from time to time. But I truly love this place, and I'm not sure how I could have gotten through those years without the U2 community, which for me starts and ends here.

I have a story that I don't know if I've ever shared. I know I've at least dropped a hint or two here and there.

There's a member here.. a somewhat well known member, although he rarely posts here anymore. Some of you may have had some knock down drag out arguments with him, because he's a strong willed person much like myself.

Anyhoo... we became friends, and he, knowing that I was a basketball coach, even at a young age, would send me videos of his son - seeking advice. I'd of course give it to him. The kid was actually very talented.

A few years pass, and his son is high school age and looking to come to the US to take that next step. I recruited him to the school where I was the lead assistant coach. He came.

There were some rocky moments, but the kid was the MVP of every tournament we played in... including the NY State Federation Championship, were he hit a 3 pointer with a second to play to win the state title.

Fast forward a few years and his dad, interference member, was with me in New York when the greatest moment in my U2 fandom. (and a top 5 in my life) took place... Adam and Edge joining Unforgettable Fire on stage.

I fucking love this place, even though Axver's going to get his ass beat.

Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #107
Blue Crack Distributor

I don't think I've ever shared this here either... But here's a video I took from on stage when Adam and Edge joined UF

https://youtu.be/2S2dKVycsc8

It's not the greatest quality video, but it's my favorite because of Tony (Bono, Fono, Tono)..

He's cracking up.

They've played this song a million times, and he's done the "on the bass" and "this is the (Mick)" every damn time. And here he is, and it's actually Adam and the Edge... and he's laughing his ass off at the absurdity of that, and just how unbelievable it is that it actually took place.

It's a true moment of a fan's ultimate dream coming true. For two songs, he fronted U2. Sorta. It's one of the favorite moments of my life, not just because I was on stage as well and it fulfilled my own dreams, but because I got to watch close friends fulfill there's at the same time.

Kinda why even though I know the bands kinda washed, and this place is kinda dead, I just can't quit it.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:50 PM   #108
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:58 PM
That's a great story, Headache.

Although it's odd to make it sound like Dalton and his family don't live in the U.S. just because they're on a reservation. It's actually a little racist.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:52 PM   #109
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
that's a great story, headache.

Although it's odd to make it sound like dalton and his family don't live in the u.s. Just because they're on a reservation. It's actually a little racist.
:lmfao:
Old 02-25-2019, 08:55 PM   #110
Blue Crack Distributor

cause why the fuck not, here's the last play of the 2012 NYS Class A Federation State Championship

https://youtu.be/GsrPxqkUs3U
Old 02-25-2019, 08:57 PM   #111
Blue Crack Distributor

And here's another video I found on my YouTube channel of Bono and his best friends

https://youtu.be/AdLcpNlhlrw
Old 02-25-2019, 09:20 PM   #112
45:33

Local Time: 03:58 PM
I was just drinking some wine and feeling nice and nostalgic, I didn't mean to start a goodbye thing, I'm not saying goodbye. I was just feeling nice.

now donate to my goddamned cause.
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:18 AM   #113
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm not going anywhere. I have even less of a social life than I did a year ago. I need you people.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:27 AM   #114
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I'm not going anywhere. I have even less of a social life than I did a year ago. I need you people.
Ain't parenthood grand?

I've been coming here pretty much daily for 18 years. My routine when I get to my office is check my email, then check Interference...has been for most of those 18 years.
I have no plans to stop visiting here, as many have said I feel I have some close friends here many (most) of whom I've never met in person, but still feel like I know them. And I have met a few folks from here in person, attended a concert or 4 with Interference folks and have enjoyed the real world time with them (even Headache!).

So hopefully this place never goes away, slow as it has become.
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:34 AM   #115
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Ain't parenthood grand?

I've been coming here pretty much daily for 18 years. My routine when I get to my office is check my email, then check Interference...has been for most of those 18 years.

I have no plans to stop visiting here, as many have said I feel I have some close friends here many (most) of whom I've never met in person, but still feel like I know them. And I have met a few folks from here in person, attended a concert or 4 with Interference folks and have enjoyed the real world time with them (even Headache!).

So hopefully this place never goes away, slow as it has become.
I'm much more enjoyable in person. The sarcasm has a boyish charm to it.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #116
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post

I have a story that I don't know if I've ever shared. I know I've at least dropped a hint or two here and there.

There's a member here.. a somewhat well known member, although he rarely posts here anymore. Some of you may have had some knock down drag out arguments with him, because he's a strong willed person much like myself.

Anyhoo... we became friends, and he, knowing that I was a basketball coach, even at a young age, would send me videos of his son - seeking advice. I'd of course give it to him. The kid was actually very talented.

A few years pass, and his son is high school age and looking to come to the US to take that next step. I recruited him to the school where I was the lead assistant coach. He came.

There were some rocky moments, but the kid was the MVP of every tournament we played in... including the NY State Federation Championship, were he hit a 3 pointer with a second to play to win the state title.

Fast forward a few years and his dad, interference member, was with me in New York when the greatest moment in my U2 fandom. (and a top 5 in my life) took place... Adam and Edge joining Unforgettable Fire on stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
cause why the fuck not, here's the last play of the 2012 NYS Class A Federation State Championship

https://youtu.be/GsrPxqkUs3U
Basically he's already Canada's #2 all time greatest basketball player behind only Steve Nash. (Certainly looks like more of an Acrobat than his dad )
Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Why are you fools saying goodbye? Stop this shit.

Also, cobbler, we had beers in Brooklyn and I don't get a mention in your post? Sigh.

Love you all. Don't leave.
gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:52 AM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:58 AM
This is still my number one place for music recommendations. On account of people around this forum, I've checked out a lot of good shit I would never otherwise have bothered with.
iron yuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:29 AM   #119
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
Why are you fools saying goodbye? Stop this shit.

Also, cobbler, we had beers in Brooklyn and I don't get a mention in your post? Sigh.

Love you all. Don't leave.
He left me out too
Old 02-26-2019, 01:05 PM   #120
ONE
love, blood, life

Next year will be my 20th year posting here.

david is offline   Reply With Quote