shuttlecock XXIV: it's the little swings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve said this numerous times, but there’s not a single album track I skip until No Line. And starting with that album I only listen to my custom playlists:

No Line (remove Cock Crazy and SUC, add Winter, Soon, and No Line alt. version as “Side 2” reprise of opener)
SOI (replace EBW with alt. guitar-heavy version, add Crystal Ballroom)
SOE (remove Get Out other than tail end with Kendrick, replace Lights of Home with St. Peter’s string version, add Book of Your Heart)

and I usually listen to my custom tracklisting of ATYCLB, which doesn’t have any substitutions but just to fix the shitty order.

Can I throw Original of the Species out there as a bottom five candidate? It might be the definition of mawkish.

Peace on Earth is OK. Edge adds some nice textures to the song.

Original of the Species is bad. Really, really bad.

I KNEEEEEEEEEEEEL CUZ I WANT YOU SOME MORE

I’ve said this numerous times, but there’s not a single album track I skip until No Line. And starting with that album I only listen to my custom playlists:

No Line (remove Cock Crazy and SUC, add Winter, Soon, and No Line alt. version as “Side 2” reprise of opener)
SOI (replace EBW with alt. guitar-heavy version, add Crystal Ballroom)
SOE (remove Get Out other than tail end with Kendrick, replace Lights of Home with St. Peter’s string version, add Book of Your Heart)

and I usually listen to my custom tracklisting of ATYCLB, which doesn’t have any substitutions but just to fix the shitty order.

We might’ve talked about this before, but do you use the original tracklist before the band changed it literally a week before they released the album?

Great conversation this!! Loving it. I genuinely reckon SOE is the first album where I'm always hitting skip. Those three songs are the bottom three with daylight fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh.

I was genuinely surprised to come in here and see people shitting all over it. The cringiness over that line is valid, but I mean hey we all love Bono and his ATM machine in MOS...

I don't know why anyone has an issue with that line. Literally everyone in the world says ATM machine in real life, as they do PIN number.

The stretch of Best Thing/Get Out/American Soul is even worse than the middle of NLOTH, only there's nothing nearly as good as that album's highs to bail it out.

Hear hear, although I will return to SOE before I ever do SOI, because it's got a bunch of good songs and it's really easy to skip through those three.

Crazy Tonight is a more effective pop song than Best Thing or Get Out and American Soul has many of the same problems as SUC, being a lame rocker with a stilted arrangement :shrug:

Basically, I'm saying I agree with Cobbler. Which is a precarious position to be in, I know.

I've always, always liked Crazy Tonight. It has a bit to do with nostalgia, I was still in U2 mode around then. Listening right now, the verses are pretty atrocious, some fun lines but Bono's singing sucks, but I will go in to bat for the chorus for all eternity. It feels effortless to me. The live version was also fucking terrific, though it was completely different.

I’m surprised that The Refugee and Red Light aren’t getting more hate. Those are 2 pretty cringeworthy tracks that I think are forgiven because they’re on the War album.

Red Light is a masterpiece compared to Grace and SFS.
The Refugee isn't good, but its not bottom 5 material.

i like red light quite a bit once you get past the "da-da-da" intro. :shrug:

the refugee doesn't fit in with the rest of the album it's on and i'll probably skip it if i'm listening to war all the way through, but it's not nigh-unlistenable like the NLOTH/SOE clunkers we've been talking about.

This is how I feel. The Refugee isn't good, but it's not horrible, and I like the bridge (?) part that comes after the drum part. As for Red Light... I think it's fucking fantastic. The intro is obviously awful, but I love Edge's angular guitar playing, the horn flourishes, and the chorus is great.

i'm also pleasantly surprised that nobody has mentioned miami yet. it gets a lot of undeserved hate from interference, though that may be more of a "the other place" opinion than a shuttlecock opinion.

Miami is fucking fantastic and anyone who doesn't like it is an idiot.

Never got this either. Yeah the lyrics are creepy if you wanna read into them like that. I just listen to it as a dumb little love song. I think it's great.

The Hands That Built America

Thank you for this Tourist!! I'd forgotten about this. Terrible, terrible song and definitely in my bottom 10.

Can I throw Original of the Species out there as a bottom five candidate? It might be the definition of mawkish.

Again, nostalgia colours my opinion too much here. It's bad, objectively, but Hutdab was my first U2 album, and I adore the "everywhereeeee you go" part with Edge's soaring guitar.

Way to quote everyone but me, dickhead!

Agree on Babyface and the two War songs. I enjoy all of them.

And I agree with the Cocks That Built America reminder. Awful track. So remove Best Thing from my #5 slot and stick that in there somewhere. Scorsese's film deserved better. And it's telling that this song was so weak, the biggest band in the world couldn't win an Oscar that I'm sure many would have been happy to give them had this been merely ok.

Fuck off sook. What, was I gonna quote your horseshit opinion on American Soul?

I was going to quote your post about not skipping until NLOTH. And FWIW, I enjoy all the popular hated U2 tracks on this forum - So Cruel, Tryna Throw, Love Rescue Me, Shadows & Tall Trees, Is That All, EPAA, Elvis Ate America, Playboy Mansion...

Way to quote everyone but me, dickhead!

Agree on Babyface and the two War songs. I enjoy all of them.

And I agree with the Cocks That Built America reminder. Awful track. So remove Best Thing from my #5 slot and stick that in there somewhere. Scorsese's film deserved better. And it's telling that this song was so weak, the biggest band in the world couldn't win an Oscar that I'm sure many would have been happy to give them had this been merely ok.
I mean it went up against Lose Yourself

the biggest band in the world couldn't win an Oscar that I'm sure many would have been happy to give them had this been merely ok.

this made me remember that horrendous Mandela song they did, I can't even recall the name, Original Soul or something, that's probably in my bottom five.

this made me remember that horrendous Mandela song they did, I can't even recall the name, Original Soul or something, that's probably in my bottom five.

:lol:

Ordinary Love.

Anyway...there aren't too many U2 tracks I actively dislike. There are some I probably wouldn't choose to listen to on purpose any time soon, but I wouldn't say any are awful. I do like Red Light, Refugee, Babyface, and pretty much anything pre-2000.

I also have never understood the disdain for Hands. It takes a bit to get going, but once it gets to "of all of the promises/is this one we could keep/of all of the dreams/is this one out of reach/(faux opera)" it takes off for me. I'd certainly take it over Ordinary Love.

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned the 360 arrangement of Mercy. I mean, in a vacuum, some of those SOE or NLOTH tracks might be worse, but the context of what Mercy was and what they turned it into makes it a contender for the top(bottom) spot, imo.

I have extra hate for Hands because of it being a massive boring snippet ruining Bullet on the Vertigo tour.

And yes, that Mercy operation was an abomination (and it has an official release :scream: ) but it was still cool to hear it reborn. To be there in person to hear one of their all-time best songs, in tact until the chorus, after Bad, was something pretty special.

We might’ve talked about this before, but do you use the original tracklist before the band changed it literally a week before they released the album?

Yes, that's the one. I think putting Elevation between two more "serious" tracks is just dumb. I don't agree with ballads in the #2 slot, typically.

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned the 360 arrangement of Mercy. I mean, in a vacuum, some of those SOE or NLOTH tracks might be worse, but the context of what Mercy was and what they turned it into makes it a contender for the top(bottom) spot, imo.

I was really only going by recorded studio tracks. Mercy 360 is without a doubt a supreme atrocity. And not including covers, either. Fortunate Son is pretty damned terrible, for example.

Yes, that's the one. I think putting Elevation between two more "serious" tracks is just dumb. I don't agree with ballads in the #2 slot, typically.

Yep that’s how I listen to it too. Much better flow. Not sure what they were thinking.

You can’t count their covers, they’ve always been terrible at them. A couple of good’uns in the late 80s/early 90s.

Yeah, if there's any band that needs to stick to their own songs, it's U2. I rate Dancing Barefoot, and of course the Desire/Watchtower combo on Lovetown is one reason that tour ruled, but in general - yikes.

As for worst songs, the garbage that has ended up on recent albums has made me almost overlook songs that I used to rail against. I still can't abide I Fall Down, Red Light, Trip Through Your Wires, and at least a couple of songs on each nineties album, but utter plonkers like OOTS, Yahweh, Boots, Stand Up Comedy, Song for Someone/13, Best Thing, GOOYOW, and American Soul are just so easy to hate. I can't be bothered trying to whittle down a list, but if SOE gave us one thing, it is indisputably the worst three-song run on any U2 record.

Lest I sound like Mr Negativity, I had a good time the other day revisiting U2 tracks I hadn't played in ages. Not sure why I'd gone so long without playing Please. It packs such a punch.

Well they appear to have eased off on the covers front since 2000; what other notable ones are there that have studio versions? The Saints Are Coming?

Maybe I erased the others from my memory.

I just remembered Window in the Skies. Fuck what an absolute clunker.

I am pleased to report, however, that djerdap and I once got stonkingly drunk together and he sings a fine cover of WITS in the style of a grumpy old heavily-accented Croatian man. Truly a work of art.

5 Best U2 songs:

Clocks
Livin' On A Prayer
The Killing Moon
Don't You (Forget About Me)
Anyone Can Play Guitar

You know what is *not* one of the 5 worst U2 tracks? In God's Country. Song rocks. And Kanye has a track on his new album called In God's Country. I hope it's a straight up cover.

Kanye has been acting up again and saying a ton of stupid shit, but I just thought it was interesting as a U2 geek to see a track called In God's Country.

I watched U2's Apple Music interview in 2017 about the Joshua Tree tour last night and it was amazing. The Edge talked about the time he tried mushrooms. Really cool interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom