shuttlecock XXIV: it's the little swings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to TUF today on its birthday... Wire is so good. Hard to believe they wrote it, it's quite singular for their catalogue. Bono rapping, fire bass guitar as the most prominent instrument for most of the song... it's so good. This would rip if they brought it out live.

You get to see Adam playing a fair bit in this clip:

This is sick:

Was fortunate to see Wire twice on this tour (my first 2 U2 shows), it was a highlight of the shows, was stunned when they didn't bring it back on the JT tour, and its a sin they haven't ever brought it back.

I disagree with you about OOTS and Yahweh. I've always loved those first-leg performances of OOTS with just the keyboard, I feel like it was a nice alternative version to the studio version with all that production. Really allowed the melodies to come out.

And that's my favorite version of Yahweh. I think the acoustic guitar suits it well and makes it more memorable than all the chime-y-ness of the album version. One of the reasons I also kind of prefer the Unreleased&Rare version of Yahweh - it's not acoustic, but it kind of has more of a texture to it than the album version.

Don't get me wrong, I still think OOTS sounded good, and in some ways, yes it's an improvement on the arrangement/production mess from the album. But my god that live version from Amsterdam is out of this word.

And Yahweh is the most maligned track on The Bomb I think, but it always reminded me of the JT sound, specifically One Tree Hill, so I love the guitar work on it, brings back that "celestial" feeling. The "take this heart/and make it break" ending is one of the weakest in their catalog, though, and makes me wish Mercy had closed the whole thing out.

definitely way better than them slapping 3 or 4 random live songs onto a record. i don't even own a record player and i might try to get this.

Weren't those three tunes already remastered as bonus tracks on the Boy reissue?

Weren't those three tunes already remastered as bonus tracks on the Boy reissue?

Yes. So it's not that these songs are now available for the first time in 40 years. Still, I guess it is a cool release for some, though personally I'm not interested.

Guess what I pass by now every day on the way to work?!

Last edited:
I mean... they're doing a limited re-release of their original EP on vinyl for the first time in 40 years for an event specifically designed around the release of rare vinyl records to help promote local mom and pop record stores.

I'm not sure what there is to complain about

I was just surprised that they'd do a new remaster of those three songs when they already did one recently enough. Curious how different it will be, assuming someone swings me the MP3s anyway because I've no interest in buying records.

Guess what I pass by now every day on the way to work?!

Gee guys, time to just let go and dismantle it.

Mormon polygamous marriages will now all be performed under The Claw. ;)

For real though, the local Aquarium bought it and put it up to be some sort of pavilion area between the Aquarium and a new Science Center that is being built.

All I can think of when I see it is the stupid lyrics to Unknown Caller flashing on the claw screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom