Shuttlecock XXII: Summer of Laz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone, long ago in 2002, compared Edge's ending "solo" in Electrical Storm to Donald Duck burping. To this day I cannot get that out of my mind.

Oh lord, it's not that bad, it's just... screw it, I can't even remember the ending solo of Electrical Storm. Drawing a blank.

When we did the Non-Album Track survivor a while back, Electrical Storm finished #10 overall(out of something like 90+ tracks to start with).

Electrical Storm - the proper original version, not that Orbit silliness - is a legitimately great song, one of the rare few moments of glory post-Pop. So, you're wrong B&C.

It's because the majority of people in that forum are very stupid and have bad taste.

Where is the lie

yeah I get it, you have the absolute moral high ground and you get to mock people

Perhaps you'd be more comfortable in the ironically titled subforum Everything You Know Is Wrong.

There's a reason we created Shuttlecock.

Treasure (Whatever Happened to Pete the Chop) or gtfo.

Fucking classic, legitimately.

If this is a no-bullshit conversation, I'd probably go for something like Luminous Times (outside of the obvious UF era standouts).

if wide awake in america tracks count as "non-album" then the best one is love comes tumbling and it isn't even close.

You can make a Best Of Non-album Tracks compilation that would probably outdo almost every actual album in U2's catalogue (albeit probably lacking in some cohesion).

I don’t know about that, maybe every album after Pop though. If covers are allowed there’s probably enough material for two albums better than any of their post-Pop albums.

Early Days:
01. 11 O’ Clock Tick Tock
02. A Celebration
03. Treasure
04. The Three Sunrises
05. Love Comes Tumbling
06. Walk To The Water
07. Luminous Times
08. Silver and Gold
09. Spanish Eyes
10. Dancing Barefoot
11. Everlasting Love
12. Unchained Melody

Later Days:
01. Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Dance Remix)
02. Satellite Of Love
03. Slow Dancing (Bono)
04. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
05. Holy Joe (Garage Mix)
06. Happiness Is A Warm Gun (Danny Saber Mix)
07. I’m Not Your Baby (Skysplitter Dub)
08. North And South Of The River
09. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
10. Electrical Storm (original, not William Orbit)
11. Window In The Skies (I don’t care how much people hate this - I love it)
12. Invisible

It should be noted that a good handful of B&Cers participated in that survivor - Laz, Axver, El-Mel, Tourist, Hewson, Mikal, to name a few. Cobbler was participating at first, but he quit in protest at some point because Invisible kept advancing(finished #19 overall) and he hates that song.

If it's of any interest, the actual top 10 was

1. HMTMKMKM
2. Love Comes Tumbling
3. Lady With The Spinning Head
4. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
5. 11OTT
6. Luminous Times
7. The Three Sunrises
8. Spanish Eyes
9. Mercy(original 2004 version)
10. Electrical Storm

if wide awake in america tracks count as "non-album" then the best one is love comes tumbling and it isn't even close.

See above. It finished #2.

If this is a no-bullshit conversation, I'd probably go for something like Luminous Times (outside of the obvious UF era standouts).

See above. It finished #6.

Gimme that Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me.

See above. It was the champ.

still think love comes tumbling is easily the best but hmtmkmkm is an understandable winner and is near the top for me (again depending on definition of "non-album" song)

Cobbler was participating at first, but he quit in protest at some point because Invisible kept advancing(finished #19 overall) and he hates that song.

[emoji38] why is this not surprising at all

still think love comes tumbling is easily the best but hmtmkmkm is an understandable winner and is near the top for me (again depending on definition of "non-album" song)

FWIW, it was defined as any song that didn't appear on a proper album(Boy, October, War, UF, JT, R&H, AB, Zooropa, Passengers, Pop, ATYCLB, HTDAAB, NLOTH, SOI, SOE wasn't out yet at the time).

If it wasn't on any of those albums, it was fair game.

1. HMTMKMKM
2. Love Comes Tumbling
5. 11OTT
6. Luminous Times
7. The Three Sunrises
8. Spanish Eyes
10. Electrical Storm

Pretty sweet list. Any enthusiasm I had for HMTM was completely ruined by those horrific setlist party thread during the 360 tour. I've always felt Three Sunrises is a bit overrated. No Walk to the Water is an absolute disgrace, that is comfortably in the top handful of U2 non-album tracks, shame on no one mentioning it so far. Mercy should be number one though.

[emoji38] why is this not surprising at all

That song fucking sucks. So many good songs were eliminated while it held on.

If it's of any interest, the actual top 10 was

1. HMTMKMKM
2. Love Comes Tumbling
5. 11OTT
6. Luminous Times
7. The Three Sunrises
8. Spanish Eyes
10. Electrical Storm

Fuck me that's one hella good run of songs, and yes I'd choose it as a playlist ahead of most of U2's albums. Would I say it's "better" than, e.g., War or Pop? Probably not, because no matter how you structure that, the differences in production and style would rob it of the album experience. But would I, minute for minute, enjoy the listening experience more? Probably.

I remain surprised that they still haven't busted out Little Things at least once in these 43 E+I shows, and wonder how much it's due to the (somewhat self-inflicted by setlist position) tepid response on JT17.

You can make a Best Of Non-album Tracks compilation that would probably outdo almost every actual album in U2's catalogue (albeit probably lacking in some cohesion).
Pearl Jam released a double album of b sides and non album tracks with Lost Dogs. It's probably my most listened to album.

I think U2 needs to do the same... and then tour it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom