Shuttlecock XXI: Laz is Bigger Than Anyone in His Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed re JT30. I couldn't tell if it felt different because it was a big stadium show vs arena or something else, but it was a marked difference for me between I&E and JT, and I wondered if they weren't all that into it like they normally seem to be with new material, or what.

Really just the combination of all the MRI stuff and his family history of it with his mother. I was with a friend who is recovering from a stroke this past weekend and it clicked for me in that moment. It's pure speculation, which is why I left it as an aside in a spoiler.

I listened to War today. I know the lyrics don't exactly match what's going on. But it's been awhile since I got hit as hard with the feels by this album as I did today. Most notably New Year's Day and (the criminally underrated) The Refugee. Kind of off topic, but hey, it's U2 I guess.

I was wondering if it was like some sort of brain thing that could have led to a stroke or something serious like that if they hadn't caught it in time. It seemed like he must have recovered from whatever it was pretty quickly, if it happened around the holidays and they were announcing/planning a giant world tour just a couple of months later.

But I don't have a lot of experience (thankfully) with heart attacks, strokes, or what have you, so I don't know the fine line between "serious enough that you're facing mortality" and "back up on your feet good as new pretty quickly."

I was thinking heart-related until I saw the MRI stuff at the start of the show.

Haven't seen the show yet, but I think stroke is unlikely as it would have had longer effects unless really really mild, but since they are I guess showing a brain scan, I'd speculate aneurysm.

If so, I hope he called Bill Berry to commisserate.

Man, I hope Bono's not going to end up retiring to drive a tractor and bale hay on his new farm. :-(

Well, I had a blast at the DC show last night. Started out right with meeting up with Irvine511 and LuckyNumber7 before the show. I thought at first it lacked energy and parts seemed awkward but it kept getting better and then like at every U2 show I felt waves of emotion at unexpected moments. I had a douchebag seat so I could see the visuals, and tonight looking forward to GA.

Awesome meeting you!

my money has always been on a TIA (mini-stroke). my ex-MIL had one a few years ago and she was back to work within 3 months, although her job (pharmacy tech) obviously isn't as physical as bono's, and she started with only a shift or two a week and gradually built up her hours. but she had hers basically at the same age bono would have been when this incident happened. her main issues were with getting tired really quickly and with fine finger skills which isn't good when your job is to count pills and type patient info into a computer. but otherwise she wasn't affected that much, if you didn't already know she had the mini-stroke you wouldn't have any indication of it meeting her on the street.

Soooo yea. I preface this with the acknowledgement that I was fairly intoxicated at both shows.

But

They're good shows.

Great U2 shows? No. But still good.

I'll also now add that if you don't like this album, you likely won't like this show.

This could be much better. I don't want this tour to be my final U2 experience. I'll be disappointed if it is, because while very good, this is not the transcendent U2 I'm used to.

So long story short? Good show. Missing some magic. Hope there's at least one more opportunity to catch that magic.

(But I don't think there will be)

Edit to add,: I think that there's a 60/40 chance the July 1 at MSG will be the last time I'll ever see them.

Last edited:
I'll also now add that if you don't like this album, you likely won't like this show.

I like the album a lot and I still don't think I would love this show. Because they're only playing two of my six favs on the album yet they're playing the three worst. Which doesn't contradict your statement exactly but it's worth noting.

I don't want this tour to be my final U2 experience. I'll be disappointed if it is, because while very good, this is not the transcendent U2 I'm used to.

I'm glad I got to see JT30. I'll take a somewhat distant JT30 show than a hyper-engaged EI show.

If the JT30 show turns out to be my last, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Of course, Rose Bowl #1 had a great setlist; if I saw it later in the tour I'd probably feel differently.

But I'd also say that at least one of the I&E shows I saw was definitely better than the JT30.

If the JT30 show turns out to be my last, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Of course, Rose Bowl #1 had a great setlist; if I saw it later in the tour I'd probably feel differently.

But I'd also say that at least one of the I&E shows I saw was definitely better than the JT30.

i'm 95% sure JT30 will be my last U2 show ever, which i'm pretty okay with.

i also liked the i+e show i saw way better than JT30.

I am still gutted I missed JT30. I+E was kinda disappointing for me. (or course only going Night 2 and not getting Bad, Electric Co, In God's Country and Sweetest Thing from Night 1 didn't help).

I am not too sad about missing E+I thus far.

Last edited:
The JT30 show I saw was certainly not my favorite of all U2 shows I've been to (2011 leg of 360 was impossible to top with the likes of Stay, Zooropa, One Tree Hill and the now almost certainly rare Moment of Surrender), but it was better than either I+E show I attended. It's fucking stupid that Exit isn't part of E+I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom