Shuttlecock XXI: Laz is Bigger Than Anyone in His Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it odd to release the Best Of? A greatest hits is kind of a sampler album, and if you're collecting vinyl you presumably are already into the artist you're buying?

True. Now if the original b-sides disc from the first best of was pressed on vinyl.. that would be sweet.

Isn't it odd to release the Best Of? A greatest hits is kind of a sampler album, and if you're collecting vinyl you presumably are already into the artist you're buying?

I think that nowadays people are also into collecting vinyl, period. So they still seek out greatest hits sets. Plus, U2 fans who want their collection complete on vinyl are also interested.

I'm travelling. I have no idea what the fuck the others are up to, especially as I thought I'd made sufficient arrangements for my absence.

(I can't cover any shows for the rest of this leg, for which I'm honestly grateful given how dull and unchanging - two separate criticisms - this setlist is.)

fuck off bitch, going to need a lot more than this. who the hell do you think you are.

I mean, you all could guess what I would say. Most of it has already been said. They're squandering a cool stage setup by playing a static show with most of the song choices being totally uninteresting.

It's pretty easy to understand why the show doesn't change after the intermission when you see the show. They're very into what they've got going on with the graphics and the themes.

The biggest issues:

1. Feeling obligated to connect the show to the first tour, which means The Ocean > Iris > Cedarwood Road > Sunday Bloody Sunday is a staple sequence. The only modifications to that section from the first tour is removing the pre-chorus from Iris, adding The Ocean to transition from the start of the show, and cutting out Raised by Wolves, which was probably the highlight of that part anyway. That version of Sunday Bloody Sunday sucks shit, and is when I went to grab a beer the first night. The second night, I got a beer during The Ocean.

2. Putting the only interesting throwbacks into the rotational slot. Gloria/The Electric Co. would be better nightly than trotting out I Will Follow again, as fun as the latter always is.

3. Having All Because of You in the show.

4. Misjudging the best of the last two albums. The open of the show is the best part of incorporating the new material. It seems to me a good, meaningful way to address Bono's health issue (which I suspect was a stroke based on the content of the show). But then they've got seven staple songs through the rest of the show from the new albums:

Iris
Cedarwood Road
Best Thing
Get Out
American Soul
Love Is Bigger

Only Love Is Bigger of any of those songs has earned that sort of slot. How do you decide "we have ten songs from the last pair of albums" and then decide on that batch? Where's Little Things? Where's Red Flag Day? Where's The Troubles or Raised by Wolves (which you've fucking played!)? These guys are fucking idiots. Their single selection sucked ass, again.

5. Playing City of Blinding Lights to end the main set because they get to put up those lights is so fucking uninspiring. Play Streets, or anything interesting.

Anyway, enough of me bitching. The thing I found most impressive, other than how they've incorporated Acrobat into the show? The pairing of Staring at the Sun and Pride. It makes no sense on paper, but the way they are doing it fucking works. I did not see it coming. The screen transition from the videos of the Charlottesville rioters into MLK leading protests is genuinely affecting.

Well, I had a blast at the DC show last night. Started out right with meeting up with Irvine511 and LuckyNumber7 before the show. I thought at first it lacked energy and parts seemed awkward but it kept getting better and then like at every U2 show I felt waves of emotion at unexpected moments. I had a douchebag seat so I could see the visuals, and tonight looking forward to GA.

It definitely needs a little more oomph at the end of the main set, but the ending worked better than I thought it would.

Agree. I mean, it was definitely my least favorite U2 show ever and I couldn’t figure out why
the Irish section was so boring compared with how much I loved it in 2015
but whatever, I still enjoyed the highs and decided to focus on that instead of the lows.

The people around me seemed very confused by the ending, reluctant to leave because they weren’t sure whether it was over or not.

I still had a great time at my least favorite U2 show but am a little concerned about my friend making the effort tonight to get there from Baltimore to see them for the first time.

Last edited:
I thought that was an incredibly powerful image, and terrific repurposing of classic U2 imagery as well

There was a lot of powerful imagery. The white nationalists bit made Pride genuinely moving again. But I wanted even more, like children in cages and being torn away from mothers’ breasts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom