Shuttlecock XXI: Laz is Bigger Than Anyone in His Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the fatal flaw with this your wasn't the lack of Streets or other JT songs, it wasn't too many e/I songs, and it wasn't giving Get Out and American Soul prominent spots, and it certainly wasn't the iPad/snap filter.

It was the rehashing of the I/e narrative.

Even after cutting it, that was 4 songs in the heart of the set that could have been given to other songs in the catalog.

It made sense when the tours we're supposed to run into each other. Once they added JT30 in between the tours, they should have scrapped that entire section.

I'll repeat that I think SOE has more good/great songs than any album since Pop.

But this tour, on paper at least, is the nadir of their career. What an ill-conceived and lifeless endeavor. Bravo for playing so many new songs, unfortunately they were mostly the wrong ones.

I actually would almost agree with you on that. But yeah. Eight new songs a night and Red Flag Day, Little Things, Landlady and Summer of Love got four plays between them :|

The show was significantly better in person than on paper - but I don't want to see a show where they ignore such huge swaths of their catalog again.

We'll see if I get that chance.

I bet it was, and I'm sure I'd have come away from the show singing the praises of how it comes across in person (plus Acrobat!) but as has been the case for over a decade now this is a band that makes poor decision after poor decision.

For me a big part of it was dropping:
Song For Someone - OK I'm not the biggest fan of the song, and it was a bit redundant with 13 being played at the end. So they play it the first show and replace it with...nothing.
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - An awesome song to dust off that they've never quite felt comfortable with. As above they play it the first show and it's not seen again.
Raised By Wolves - They play it 7 out of the first 8 shows then drop it. If there was a song they had to keep from I+E surely this was it. Instead of making a new centre for their narrative, once more they just shorten the setlist.
It feels uninspired to have most of your tour worked out before the first show, drop the bits you don't want to do, but not replace them with anything. Of course standard disclaimer I'm sure an individual show would've been fine in person blah blah, but I'll take your word for it.

The show was significantly better in person than on paper - but I don't want to see a show where they ignore such huge swaths of their catalog again.

We'll see if I get that chance.

I feel the same way. And I’m probably going to be bitter for a long time that they cut Red Flag Day from the show I saw.

For me a big part of it was dropping:
Song For Someone - OK I'm not the biggest fan of the song, and it was a bit redundant with 13 being played at the end. So they play it the first show and replace it with...nothing.
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - An awesome song to dust off that they've never quite felt comfortable with. As above they play it the first show and it's not seen again.
Raised By Wolves - They play it 7 out of the first 8 shows then drop it. If there was a song they had to keep from I+E surely this was it. Instead of making a new centre for their narrative, once more they just shorten the setlist.
It feels uninspired to have most of your tour worked out before the first show, drop the bits you don't want to do, but not replace them with anything. Of course standard disclaimer I'm sure an individual show would've been fine in person blah blah, but I'll take your word for it.
I'm not saying you're wrong. The dropping of songs and not replacing them is horse shit.

My only statement is that the show as ultimately presented works better than it looks on paper. Not that it couldn't be improved (and getting rid of the i/e suite would go a long way to improving it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom