Shuttlecock XX - Laz Is All You Have Left

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently they have started shipping them, some folks have gotten tem over the past 2 weeks.
The important folks like you & me have still got nothing.

Sheesh. All things considered, I bet they're going to lose a shit ton of subscribers this year.

Listened to SOE today for the first time in a couple weeks. Well, my most recent alternate SOE, that is.

1. Love Is All We Have Left
2. Book Of Your Heart
3. Lights Of Home(Strings)
4. Summer Of Love
5. Red Flag Day
6. Best Thing
7. Love Is Bigger
8. Landlady
9. Little Things
10. There Is A Light

Cutting out pretty much everything they're promoted so far other than Little Things(GOOYOW, American Soul, The Blackout), as well as The Showman(It's a good melody but the chorus kind of ruins it and I find myself wanting to skip it) makes the album much leaner at <40 mintues and more cohesive as well.

Love Is All/Book Of Your Heart obviously go together, and the latter is one of the best things here, it deserves to be up front.

Red Flag Day just clicked with me in a big way. That bass. May well be Adam's best moment on the album.

Best Thing has grown on me to the point where I actually like it. It's like a cross between Sweetest Thing and the Achtung b-side Where Did It All Go Wrong. Maybe a little bit of Are You Gonna Wait Forever too. It also flows nicely into Love Is Bigger, providing a good segue into the final three tracks.

Landlady is gorgeous, Little Things is a showstopper, and There Is A Light is an effective closer.

Were this the album, I imagine the first single to be Red Flag Day, followed by Lights Of Home, followed by Little Things, followed by Summer Of Love and Best Thing.

Look, no matter what order you put the tracks in, the album is never going to be a threat to the high ranks of U2 albums. But made leaner like this, it's a pretty satisfying listen imo.

Speaking of album rankings....doing LN7's survey shook a few things up for me, and now that I've refreshed my thoughts on SOE, I'm gonna do one for New Year's Eve. I'll make it a little more interesting by giving each album an award(or awards)...

14. No Line On The Horizon
Award: Most Compromised

Could've been brilliant, but instead is one of the great what-ifs in the U2 catalogue. Still, contains a handful of really great tracks.

13. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
Award: Most Safe, Most Unambitious

12. SOI/SOE(Tie)
Award: Most Unfairly Maligned, Most Poorly Promoted

Bad single choices all around in both cases, and the former was savaged for reasons having nothing to do with the music.

11. All That You Can't Leave Behind
Award: Most Soulful, Most Easy-Listening, Most Stripped-down

10. October
Award: Most Raw, Most Desperate

By desperate, I mean desperate for inner peace, desperate for understanding of themselves and the world, desperate for reconciliation between their spirituality/faith and being in a rock band.

9. Passengers
Award: Most Avant-garde, Most Out-There

8. Pop
Award: Most Hard, Most Dark, Most Dense, Most Misunderstood

Pop was once in my top 5. The fact that it's down here now doesn't at all mean that my positive opinion of it has changed, but rather that other albums have risen in my estimation. Pop is still awesome.

7. Rattle And Hum(studio stuff only)
Award: Most Bluesy, Most Reverent, Most Underappreciated(for its studio tracks)

I'll be honest, listening to Hawkmoon and Heartland and Van Diemen's Land for the survey allowed this one to move up a little, and it very nearly overtook War. Those tracks, God Part II, the singles...good shit.

6. War
Award: Most Energetic, Most Fiery

5. Boy
Award: Most Cohesive, Most Wide-eyed, Most Euphoric

I've gone back and forth a lot between this and War, but for me, the cohesiveness here wins. War is tremendous and exciting, it's more sophisticated and stylistically diverse, and it's got several tracks that are better than anything here - SBS, NYD, even Drowning Man - but this record has an incredible cohesiveness to it. I suppose it is easy to be cohesive when it's your first record and you really only have one musical color on your palette, but still, it results in a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts, and its parts are pretty damn good more often than not. It is a wide-eyed, innocent, euphoric record, and the Lord Of The Flies reference in Shadows fits well because the whole album seems to have an almost fairy-tale like quality to it, imo.

4. Zooropa
Award: Most Bold, Most Confident, Most "Fuck Up The Mainstream"

I used to have Pop higher, but it has fallen a bit whereas Zooropa has stayed high up. Pop is largely brilliant, but there is a sense that it sags a little under its own weight. Zooropa has a leanness, a buoyancy to it. It floats. They've never sounded more sure of themselves.

3. Joshua Tree
Award: Most Iconic, Most Cinematic, Most Anthemic

Absolutely iconic, beautiful, epic album. Just suffers a bit from being overplayed. Just a bit though.

2. Unforgettable Fire
Award: Most Atmospheric, Most Symphonic, Most Transportative, Most Inspired

Has steadily climbed my rankings over the years, has been top 5 for awhile, and has now risen all the way to #2. Probably will never overtake Achtung, but #2 isn't bad. Takes me to another place like few other records do.

1. Achtung Baby
Award: Most Everything

Still my #1 album of all time.

Listened to SOE today for the first time in a couple weeks. Well, my most recent alternate SOE, that is.

1. Love Is All We Have Left
2. Book Of Your Heart
3. Lights Of Home(Strings)
4. Summer Of Love
5. Red Flag Day
6. Best Thing
7. Love Is Bigger
8. Landlady
9. Little Things
10. There Is A Light

Cutting out pretty much everything they're promoted so far other than Little Things(GOOYOW, American Soul, The Blackout), as well as The Showman(It's a good melody but the chorus kind of ruins it and I find myself wanting to skip it) makes the album much leaner at <40 mintues and more cohesive as well.

Love Is All/Book Of Your Heart obviously go together, and the latter is one of the best things here, it deserves to be up front.

Red Flag Day just clicked with me in a big way. That bass. May well be Adam's best moment on the album.

Best Thing has grown on me to the point where I actually like it. It's like a cross between Sweetest Thing and the Achtung b-side Where Did It All Go Wrong. Maybe a little bit of Are You Gonna Wait Forever too. It also flows nicely into Love Is Bigger, providing a good segue into the final three tracks.

Landlady is gorgeous, Little Things is a showstopper, and There Is A Light is an effective closer.

Were this the album, I imagine the first single to be Red Flag Day, followed by Lights Of Home, followed by Little Things, followed by Summer Of Love and Best Thing.

Look, no matter what order you put the tracks in, the album is never going to be a threat to the high ranks of U2 albums. But made leaner like this, it's a pretty satisfying listen imo.

For SOI they mostly picked the lesser quality songs on the album to play live the most. (Of my top 5, EBW was played every show but not in a version I care for, and otherwise only The Troubles 4 times, California 3 times, out of 76 shows).

For SOE we had Little Things + studio versions of four songs before the album dropped fully, and these four songs are the worst on there. So frustrating because you feel they put a lot more effort into these, and wonder what else missed out being put on the album if they'd stop worrying about which promoted songs will get people to listen to the album.

In an exception to the rule of U2 tinkering with songs to death, I do like There is a Light quite a bit more than I ever liked Song for Someone.

Much like SOI, I really don’t have an alternate tracklist that I prefer over the original. They’ve done a really good job with the running order on their last two albums.

giphy.gif

I haven't received my subscriber gift either, but I did get a cool U2 gift recently.

One day in 2016 I met the parent of a student I don't even teach in the front office at our school. Somehow U2 came up, and it turns out that this mom is a huge fan who has traveled all over to see them. We chatted briefly about our love for the band, and that was it.

This fall, around the time the JT tour came through Phoenix, I received an email from this mom. She said she needed to clean out some space and asked if I'd like to have some U2 posters from the SOI era. Sure! She said she'd leave them for me at the front office.

But when I went to pick up the posters, there was also a box. I opened it up, and it was one of the JT 2017 VIP gifts - a beautiful tour book, a U2 harmonica, instructions for playing the thing, replica tickets from the original JT tour, a medallion, just lots of cool goodies for the collector. I was in awe that a woman who hardly knows me would part with such a thing, but U2 fans just get each other, I guess. She knew that I would treasure it.

A student of mine also gave me a tea mug inscribed with the lyrics "I want to run, I want to hide" but the lyrics are in Latin, which is what I teach. I was overwhelmed at such a thoughtful gift that she and her mom obviously had to special order. It is so cool.

Just sharing some warm moments from 2017 with y'all. Thx for reading.

I haven't received my subscriber gift either, but I did get a cool U2 gift recently.

One day in 2016 I met the parent of a student I don't even teach in the front office at our school. Somehow U2 came up, and it turns out that this mom is a huge fan who has traveled all over to see them. We chatted briefly about our love for the band, and that was it.

This fall, around the time the JT tour came through Phoenix, I received an email from this mom. She said she needed to clean out some space and asked if I'd like to have some U2 posters from the SOI era. Sure! She said she'd leave them for me at the front office.

But when I went to pick up the posters, there was also a box. I opened it up, and it was one of the JT 2017 VIP gifts - a beautiful tour book, a U2 harmonica, instructions for playing the thing, replica tickets from the original JT tour, a medallion, just lots of cool goodies for the collector. I was in awe that a woman who hardly knows me would part with such a thing, but U2 fans just get each other, I guess. She knew that I would treasure it.

A student of mine also gave me a tea mug inscribed with the lyrics "I want to run, I want to hide" but the lyrics are in Latin, which is what I teach. I was overwhelmed at such a thoughtful gift that she and her mom obviously had to special order. It is so cool.

Just sharing some warm moments from 2017 with y'all. Thx for reading.

This is so beautiful!!!!!

i'm not sure laz really wants to be placed on your head and worn around australia to looks varying between pity, scorn and confusion.

I think The Best Thing may be one of their only songs that sounds better acoustic. Just heard the BBC version and it was pretty great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom