Shuttlecock XVII - The Best Title That Ever Happened a Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
New album SONGS OF EXPERIENCE confirmed for December 1. That is in fact a Friday, so there's a small chance Bono isn't fucking with us. Consider it an early Christmas gift or a slightly less early Hanukkah gift.

Featuring the unstoppable hit singles:

The Black Out
The Best Thing
TLTTGYA

And the new American national anthem, Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way:

[TWEET]905437328121974788[/TWEET]

ljrqAXW_d.jpg

Last edited:
Discussion point the first: what experiences, exactly, will the listener be privy to on Songs of Experience?

I thought at one point that these songs would have something to do with their peak years, as SOI was largely about their adolescence, but yeah, nah. So far all of these songs have just been about random shit.

New album SONGS OF EXPERIENCE confirmed for December 1. That is in fact a Friday, so there's a small chance Bono isn't fucking with us.

Featuring the unstoppable hit singles:

The Black Out
The Best Thing
TLTTGYA

Little Things is my least favorite of the new songs so far. The Blackout is the only one that really does anything for me.

according to the other place, edge said on his BBC interview today that every song on the album was a contender to be a single, they are all classics, and that they changed TBT "to a rocker" literally 24 hours before release. :huh:

Yeah, I would rather have had the dancier mix.

What an idiotic move. And once again, we'll forever be wondering how much better the original incarnations were, and won't be able to hear most of them to compare.

I don't think it's as bad as you're all saying. When we all heard that remix version last year, I wasn't too excited by it. I'm still not too excited about it. But it's not the cut-and-paste job you guys are making it out to be me. It's more Ordinary Love than Get On Your Boots, imo. Just kind of bland and inoffensive.

So far, Little Things is my favorite of the new songs we've heard so far.

I want the band to go more second-half SOI than first-half SOI.

This is the first time I've ever not given two shits about the lead singles from U2's upcoming albums, but I really don't care for The Blackout or Best Thing, and that song title above is hell on earth .

I'm scared, guys. This might be the first U2 album I don't like :|

I thought at one point that these songs would have something to do with their peak years, as SOI was largely about their adolescence, but yeah, nah. So far all of these songs have just been about random shit.

I've had this exact same thought. Had the album come out immediately after Innocence like it was supposed to, I imagine it would have actually made sense.

I haven't decided if I like or dislike these songs. Depends on the day.

I think it's decent. I won't mind hearing it on the radio. The melody is nice and catchy and I like Edge's bridge. You know that they'll always try to make a hit so I'd rather have this than The Miracle. Get On Your Boots is probably better but way worse as a single.

The worst part is the abrupt ending. And that lyric, I just try to think 'to' in between.

The album will be just fine.

People shitting on The Miracle again. The Miracle is better than TBT.

Though I'll say that, despite thinking TBT is kind of bland, the chorus has been stuck in my head for 90 minutes now.

I heard there's a song called "Hindsight is 2020" where Bono apologizes for being a Clintonista.

This band is always releasing music when I'm on holiday. They dropped SOI when I was away and at the moment I'm in France. Maybe the wine is helping my perception of the song...

It's difficult defending this band to my girlfriend when they release stuff like this. But then again, she likes Muse.

The Blackout is probably the least redeemable of the three. There's just nothing going on to be excited about. I figure anybody who thinks it's the best of the bunch must really be disappointed by all three tracks.

Little Things is easily the highlight so far...both lyrically and due to its emotional vulnerability. I quite like it.

This new single basically goes nowhere. It's not art and the lyrics are really dumb, but it's a pleasant enough tune to hear in the background.

At the very least, none of this really reeks of over-produced dad rock like the last album did. The tunes are very direct. And these songs actually have enough of an interesting structure to them whereas Frankenstein monsters like "The Miracle" and "Song for Someone" certainly did not.

Pretty much no chance it's a great album at this point and probably a slim chance that it's even a very good one. But hey, perhaps a forgettable U2 record is better than a mostly bad U2 record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom