Shuttlecock XVII - The Best Title That Ever Happened a Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a verified fan thing for LCD Soundsystem and it worked great. No extra money; I just registered with Ticketbastard to MAYBE get a presale code which MIGHT get me tickets and everything worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Sao Paulo 1 and 2 had identical setlists, 3 added MW. Hang in there, ASOH.

IWF was my thought exactly. It'd be funny if rather than adding it onto the end, they swapped it with TBT :)

At least they've stuck 100% to playing JT in full every show.

Points to them for playing an album in full for 50+ shows. It was a great show, but I don’t think they’ll revisit that format ever again. Keeping my fingers crossed for an Achtung Baby mini-tour in 2021 or 2022, though.

I'm glad I didn't travel home to see these Sao Paulo concerts. It would have been...disappointing. And I loved the JT30 show.

So I was extremely privileged enough to experience The Joshua Tree tour in Mexico City, Night 2, while on holiday in this part of the world.

I may or may not have wrangled my itinerary to accommodate this [emoji57]

There was definitely something kind of cool about being in the venue where the POPMart show was recorded and enshrined for live VHS release. At times during the evening, my mind cast back to the sight of the giant lemon opening at stage-left and the band coming out on and breaking into the boom-chas of Discotheque, something I have watched countless times.

It was a far more impressive setting than I anticipated. Tickets where checked and bodies were searched/fondled multiple times before entering the venue. I was expecting a rather dated baseball stadium, but i never realised that first and foremost it is a motor racing track. It's a fascinating venue for this reason alone, as you walk along the track to navigate your way into the arena.

There were also quite literally, hundreds of vendors selling unofficial merchandise (most of which was actually really tempting). Things like Joshua Tree bomber jackets, hundreds of different t-shirts including one with all the album covers, a vast array of mugs and wristbands. Usually in Melbourne you'd get one or two dodgy merch sellers outside the venue proper, but this was something else. Due to the confusion upon entering the venue (my Spanish is atrocious) and haste in leaving (to meet our driver), I neglected to actually purchase anything :(

I would normally do GA (and regret that I didn't) but I was with company that wasn't as U2-hardcore and wasn't sure it would be the best idea in an unfamiliar city. Ended up getting relatively good seats to the left of stage (I strategically knew this would give us better proximity to the b-stage).

Noel Gallagher was ok. The venue, sound and stage set up wasn't really conducive to his set. It was great to hear Wonderwall, Don't Look Back in Anger from the actual songwriter himself, but he didn't wow the crowd as much as I thought that he might.

U2 hit the stage about 9.10pm. That queer, nervous feeling that I get in anticipation of one of my artists taking to the stage hit me again. It's been just under 7 years since my last U2 gig so this was quite something.

When U2 stormed onto stage in a thunderous one-two of SBS and NYD, I knew this would be a gig like no other. As much as it would be personally satisfying to hear live rarities like album tracks and b-sides etc, it's hard to complain when you have a 7 of the band's greatest songs back-to-back.

Streets, typically, was a highlight. I loved the way that it was executed. It was explosive, the lighting was magnificent and the performance was sublime. I honestly thought the band was in fine form tonight. Bullet was delivered in a rather pedestrian fashion and was, as expected, marked the start of an unfair lull in crowd engagement. I'd never experienced any songs from RTSS through to Mothers live before, and while most around me took it as an opportunity to dash off to the toilets or to grab drinks, I was well engaged. Everyone was now seated around me, so in a sense, given where I was, I appreciated the opportunity to just take it all in.

RHMT was ok. I'm not particularly fond of the rework for the tour, but I don't understand the reservations the band have (always) had about how Bono's vocal would cope with the chorus. He executed it brilliantly, the chorus outshining the verses quite easily.

IGC was the one song I was looking forward to above all else. I've always enjoyed the sweeping majesty of the song and I loved the way it was delivered.

TTYW was actually a lot of fun, the crowd getting into it and OTH was cool to hear live. I must stress how surprisingly blown away I was by Exit. U2's ability to take older songs and breathe new life into them years later (The Fly, Zooropa) was on show here.

Prior to the the tour, I doubted that U2 had it in them, to be able to successfully revisit The Joshua Tree with dignity and without compromising how we have come to understand the album. I was delighted when they really did play it in the actual running order and was really impressed with the delivery of the whole album. If this is what they are capable of, an Achtung Baby anniversary tour would be very welcome.

The encore was a pleaser. Shades of colourful Coldplay visuals during Beautiful Day. I really enjoy this tour's reiteration of BD. It seemed quite tired on the I&E tour.
Elevation was (of course) featured, and while I can't really be arsed with it anymore, it certainly does get the crowd going. Same with Vertigo.

It was at this point that we were a little concerned about meeting our pre-arranged driver at the right time (concert was running later than we suggested it would, but we needn't have worried. There were hundreds of cabbies jostling for customers following the gig), so I didn't really get fully immersed in You're The Best Thing About Me, as I was hastily trying to text him. The song sounded as expected. It wasn't like a tour debut or anything.

Ultraviolet seems like a bit of an outlier in the set, but i enjoyed the purpose-built adaption of it, to showcase significant contributions of women to society. Enjoyed hearing it live for the second time.

One was played and I knew it wasn't the closer, and was half expecting (even hoping) for the band to roll out Spanish Eyes on back to back nights. That would have been an absolute treat. So it was a combination of mild disappointment, but a sense of privilege, to hear the only tour performance of Sweetest Thing, which was a real curveball. We started walking down the stairs while the song was playing, half to get a head start on the huge crowd upon exiting, but also to sneak a bit closer to the action.

A sweet little ending to a thrilling show. Kind of hastily left the venue to get our ride back to the hotel, but it was some sort of experience watching a show in Mexico City, complete with Bono's Spanish snippets and all.

The experience still doesn't come close to Melbourne #1 at the 360 Tour, but a very worthwhile adventure nonetheless.

We have a winner for the band's most dull extended run of shows. 23 songs across 4 nights, 21 played at all four, the other 2 at one each. Normally you'd expect 23 at one night and at least 2-3 rotations per night.

now let's get a formal fucking album announcement and confirmation of when they fuck they are coming down under, and then let's get some SoE setlists going so we can forsee what disappointment we will be met with when they finally return to Aus.

i predict 20 songs from the last two albums and no RTSS or Exit or One Tree Hill.

now let's get a formal fucking album announcement and confirmation of when they fuck they are coming down under, and then let's get some SoE setlists going so we can forsee what disappointment we will be met with when they finally return to Aus.

i predict 20 songs from the last two albums and no RTSS or Exit or One Tree Hill.
You mean f**k. Ya fann*.

I'd be surprised if we get any songs from SOI on the next tour, considering the theme of this tour will be "Experience". But hell, if they want to break out any SOI songs, give us Reach Around or Troubles please.

The band is in a bit of a tough spot though with probably playing 7-8 songs from SOE, then having to play a good number of hits for the casuals. Realistically, we should hope for 1-2 deeper cuts next tour.

Yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised. Didn’t think they would play a song from No Line on i+e until Magnificent showed up at 1 show. Wish they played it more, that was a great arrangement.

It'll either be Stand Up Comedy at every show, or Fez at only one show where no interferencer is in attendance and there's no recording.

And I definitely couldn't say the moderation is non-existent when I somehow got a three-day suspension last year, with no warning, for not mincing words about a fascist being a fascist while I was drunk, a fascist who soon after got banned for his fascism. :lol:

Who was that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom