Shuttlecock XVII - The Best Title That Ever Happened a Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, we could never have the discussion on here in the past debating this issue since the forum was filled with people that went crazy for SOI. It helps that the average Interferencer outside of this thread literally listens to no more than three new albums in a given year.

Does it take effort to consistently be this condescending or does it come naturally to you?

Case in point: after that wet fart performance of Best Thing last night, Bono had the audacity to call it "punk Motown" and I couldn't fucking believe what I was hearing.

It makes you think he has a storehouse of these descriptive quips from over the years and now feels compelled to randomly throw them out there.

I post in there, listened to the Blackout clip several times, and have listened to a shitload of albums this year.

Come on, man. Of course there are going to be exceptions. But why can't any thread in that forum go more than a few pages without a lazy as fuck comparison to Coldplay or the Rolling Stones, or someone bemoaning that pop radio is too stupid to recognize the brilliance of the new U2 single, or any other number of things like that? It's a collection of fanatics. And that's fine because it is exactly the purpose of the forum. But let's not pretend it's anything other than that.

Come on, man. Of course there are going to be exceptions. But why can't any thread in that forum go more than a few pages without a lazy as fuck comparison to Coldplay or the Rolling Stones, or someone bemoaning that pop radio is too stupid to recognize the brilliance of the new U2 single, or any other number of things like that? It's a collection of fanatics. And that's fine because it is exactly the purpose of the forum. But let's not pretend it's anything other than that.

I don't think you really read that forum very much anymore. Sure there's going to be some dumb comments here and there due to the volume of posts. But let's ask this question, which is more ridiculous? Big fans on the band's fan forum or some elite society based because they feel like they're above everyone else?

I tend to side with BigM and iYup. There's a reason I blocked that forum ages ago and that's probably the main one. The reason I like this thread/forum is because I get a realistic discussion with people (including yourself Mikal!!!) who only listen to three bands. It's reasonable response to new U2: not listening to the same new clip 40 times in a row. There's more to life than that. If that's elitist then fine, I'll happily own that.

Out of interest, what are your feelings on the songs we've heard so far?

I don't think you really read that forum very much anymore. Sure there's going to be some dumb comments here and there due to the volume of posts. But let's ask this question, which is more ridiculous? Big fans on the band's fan forum or some elite society based because they feel like they're above everyone else?

Well I don't think it is necessarily elitist to want a place relatively free from pages upon pages of chest-thumping, semantic bickering, and decade-old memes. And yes I realize that sounds elitist as I type it.

I tend to side with BigM and iYup. There's a reason I blocked that forum ages ago and that's probably the main one. The reason I like this thread/forum is because I get a realistic discussion with people (including yourself Mikal!!!) who only listen to three bands. It's reasonable response to new U2: not listening to the same new clip 40 times in a row. There's more to life than that. If that's elitist then fine, I'll happily own that.

I think you meant to say "who don't only listen to three bands".

I don't mind being labeled an elitist. There are a lot of sheltered, fanatical, obtuse people on the forum at large and I'm often embarrassed to be interacting with some of them. The Other Place is not completely filled with idiots, but the signal-to-noise ratio compared to this thread? A lot different.

And while I understand that BigMacPhisto's opinion-as-fact comments come off pretty arrogant, he makes a good point re: the effects of Pop and No Line on the band.

Well I don't think it is necessarily elitist to want a place relatively free from pages upon pages of chest-thumping, semantic bickering, and decade-old memes. And yes I realize that sounds elitist as I type it.

I don't mind being labeled an elitist. There are a lot of sheltered, fanatical, obtuse people on the forum at large and I'm often embarrassed to be interacting with some of them. The Other Place is not completely filled with idiots, but the signal-to-noise ratio compared to this thread? A lot different.

And while I understand that BigMacPhisto's opinion-as-fact comments come off pretty arrogant, he makes a good point re: the effects of Pop and No Line on the band.

Yep. :up::up::up:

the last time i was in there there was pages of really angry bitching about taylor swift as if she was the sole reason every radio station didn't have the blackout on repeat all day. i've had no desire to go back since then.

There are a lot of good people over there. That's why I get a bit angry at the generalizations.

Over all I'm really happy with the songs. I think Little Things has the potential to be a classic. Blackout is high energy. I like Best Thing too. Good first single choice.

the last time i was in there there was pages of really angry bitching about taylor swift as if she was the sole reason every radio station didn't have the blackout on repeat all day. i've had no desire to go back since then.
Oh shit. Why didn't anybody tell me about this?? She's my fave.

Interesting reading all your comments. Im pretty much on board with what most of you are saying.

I loathed the miracle, but even though though TBT is bland, it doesnt offend me like their previous lead off single did. The blackout, on the other hand infuriates me.

Yeah, Zoomerang is about the last person who I expected would favour Best Thing over Blackout.

I remember Bono saying at the show I saw in Chicago that he wanted all Americans to feel welcome no matter how they voted. I bet that's why.

I really want to hear a real version of Blackout. After a few more listens, I don't like it as much as I first did. But it's not a great quality recording, so ...

Really surprised, but I guess not really, that the artwork and track listing isn't up on Apple Music yet. I'm sure in the last two months that will be finalized.

Maybe they're waiting until after the tour's over to formally announce it? These days it's not uncommon to get album info a month before it's released.

Has U2 ever even had a well-developed political ethos? I know they've always promoted global human rights and such, but that's not really much of a statement in the broad scheme of things.

I thought he was pretty clear in his Trump feelings on Kimmel a few months ago. They seem to be more blunt on TV this year than during their shows.

I'm fine with wanting to keep it a little less blunt in the shows, honestly. Their appearance on the late night shows has a bigger audience than any one show, so it's not like he's keeping mum about his feelings.

I can see wanting to keep the shows a little more "welcoming," for lack of a better word. There's still some good statements within.

I'm sure that will be an unpopular opinion with some of you, but I'm fine with that, too. ;)

Last edited:
I didn't agree with Bono's approach on the first leg but I understood what he was getting at and why he thought it was the most appropriate thing to do.

Now, things have changed and he's little more than a moral coward. At least he's saying something about the Dreamers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom