Shuttlecock XVI - Cobbler's Revenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And they play Little Things instead. Oh U2, never change. Closing with A Sort of Homecoming would have been incredibly special.

Unreal. They're on autopilot at this point and clearly just want this tour to be over.

Without a doubt the most static setlists I've ever seen from the band.

Unreal. They're on autopilot at this point and clearly just want this tour to be over.

I think you're right. I mean, they haven't even played 30 songs throughout the course of the tour. For fuck's sake, they played 40-45 songs on the first leg of the i+e Tour.

Eh, how about the Popmart Tour.

The first leg of 29 shows had 35 songs, but that's inflated by Edge's karaoke (six songs) and glorified snippets after One (four songs).

We're currently at 28 shows and 28 different songs, or 27 if you remove Happy Birthday. So Popmart and JT30 are about even for setlist diversity. And this tour has had more tweaking of the encore order than Popmart ever saw.

Actually, hang on, ZooTV's first leg is even more static than JT30 or Popmart. That leg had 32 shows and just 26 different songs, three of which were done just once and two twice.

And if you add the 25 shows of ZooTV's second leg, you still only get to 29 songs across 57 shows.

So let's not exaggerate JT30 as static sets of an unprecedented level. They're disappointingly static, but not entirely out of character.

I think Laz is right. The good news is that they seem more interested in the new album.

I think Laz is right. The good news is that they seem more interested in the new album.

I would a million times rather them make this a world tour, but cool to see some movement.

But yeah, only doing ONE Dublin show and not playing A Sort of Homecoming almost seems like a middle finger to the country. Geez.

And it's interesting how their setlist diversity is pretty much better than it's ever been (this tour notwithstanding), but no one ever thinks about ZooTV and Popmart. Probably because the setlists were really good to begin with so they didn't need it.

But not sure why anyone's surprised about the lack of diversity on this tour.

Was half expecting maybe OOC in the (every now and again) IWF place or both even, some nod to their beginnings, y'know easy songs that don't need IEM countdowns and hidden keyboard players to work on the spot... but was not to be.

I thought IWF had been played more this tour but no, only 5 times. Another strange one, given the crowd reaction indicated a lot of casuals knew and liked it too.

Are we comparing the JT tour's static setlists to one where the band was opening up with 8 new songs in a row on the first leg?

lol

I tend to agree with this. There's no question that ZooTV had very static setlists, but they weren't relying much on older material. By the time the final leg of the tour came around, at a point in the tour at which U2 would likely drop newer material for warhorses now, they were actually adding more new material(from Zooropa).

Take the ZooTV Sydney setlist. Setting aside the two covers(Satellite Of Love and Can't Help Falling In Love), there were 20 tracks played. Of those 20, 13 of them were Achtung/Zooropa tracks. Of those 20, 18 were from JT or later, meaning 18 of 20 original tracks came from the most recent 4 albums, 13 from the most recent 2. The only pre JT tracks in that setlist were NYD and Pride.

It would be like if the I+E setlists were 20 tracks long and 18 of them came from ATYCLB or later and 13 of them came from NLOTH and SOI. Like this(Streets and One being the 'old' tracks):

1. The Miracle
2. California
3. Volcano
4. Raised By Wolves
5. Cedarwood Road
6. Iris
7. Every Breaking Wave
8. Magnificent
9. Get On Your Boots
10. Crazy Tonight
11. Elevation
12. Vertigo
13. Beautiful Day
14. City Of Blinding Lights
15. Where The Streets Have No Name
16. One
17. Kite or Moment Of Surrender

18. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
19. Invisible
20. The Crystal Ballroom
21. The Troubles

But the point was simply whether JT30 has the most static sets, not why. And the answer to the "whether" question is no, at the same stage of ZooTV, the band had played even fewer songs.

It would be like if the I+E setlists were 20 tracks long and 18 of them came from ATYCLB or later and 13 of them came from NLOTH and SOI. Like this(Streets and One being the 'old' tracks):

1. The Miracle
2. California
3. Volcano
4. Raised By Wolves
5. Cedarwood Road
6. Iris
7. Every Breaking Wave
8. Magnificent
9. Get On Your Boots
10. Crazy Tonight
11. Elevation
12. Vertigo
13. Beautiful Day
14. City Of Blinding Lights
15. Where The Streets Have No Name
16. One
17. Kite or Moment Of Surrender

18. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
19. Invisible
20. The Crystal Ballroom
21. The Troubles

:barf:

But the point was simply whether JT30 has the most static sets, not why. And the answer to the "whether" question is no, at the same stage of ZooTV, the band had played even fewer songs.

Are you trying to win technicality points? We get it, you're the supreme archivist of tours.

Now let's focus on the reality which is that this JT tour feels a hell of a lot more static than the ZooTV ones because it's already 50% a revival act. We can also talk about the fact that ZooTV was pulling down live content from the airwaves every night and allowed for a more unique show overall anyway.

He is technically correct though. So you can talk about ZooTV and Popmart being better til you're blue in the face (FWIW I completely agree, I would take a static Zoo/Popmart set over anything we got on any tour since) but he's right.

It's not about whether they're better. It's about how rigid these are? Who gives a fuck about dug up stats we're talking about our perceptions of the tour vs. previous ones, and being technically wrong doesn't make me go "Ok I guess they're not as static as I thought".

Also the fact that you have to go all the way back to two heavily-choreographed multimedia overloads to find the exception says a lot. This tour shouldn't be so beholden, especially in the opening section when they aren't even using the fucking screen.

Yeah, laz, you originally said:

Which I suppose would be true if you were too young to recall anything pre-Elevation, but we know you're not.

If you're seriously trying to argue that Bono flicking through a few TV channels before EBTTRT proves that ZooTV's first two legs had more setlist variety than JT30, or that playing the same brand new songs over and over again is somehow more diverse than playing the same older songs over and over again, then you're not discussing from a reasonable basis and I have nothing more to say to you on this topic.

Back
Top Bottom