Shuttlecock XVI - Cobbler's Revenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Live it's a great way to end it, for sure, it has that reprise kick, but it's like two fucking lines that say nothing, so I can't understand why people froth over it. The INXS/Joy Division snippets were a million times better.

I am absolutely with Laz. I 100% blame Axver for making it a thing, and I find the yearning for it annoying. Particularly when One's coda is a million times better and more powerful.

Hear Us Coming is also way more common. You're likely to have heard it unless your only tour was IE. Shine Like Stars, you're very fortunate to have heard in the 2000s.

I would also kill for a studio version with it. Not a fan of fade outs.

I am absolutely with Laz. I 100% blame Axver for making it a thing, and I find the yearning for it annoying. Particularly when One's coda is a million times better and more powerful.

Live it's a great way to end it, for sure, it has that reprise kick, but it's like two fucking lines that say nothing, so I can't understand why people froth over it. The INXS/Joy Division snippets were a million times better.

:love:

I think the Shine Like Stars lore comes from the released live performances with it, which are generally pretty awesome. R&H, of course, but also Slane.

Scarcity is also the issue, as Ax mentioned. Shine Like Stars is pretty rare these days.

Yes, but in the instances it's been done it's been nothing to write home about. I know it means a lot to some people (Ashley, now we've met, I hope any animosity on here between us is lessened, lol) but I just don't get it.

On those live performances you're talking about - really the performance from Rattle & Hum, which is fucking iconic and in a large way responsible for my love of the band - they're absolutely incredible. But that's because WOWY was being played with a fire and passion in the belly in those days. WOWY hasn't been on the same level for many years. So when Shine Like Stars appears, even on those rare occasions, it hardly lifts the song beyond itself.

It's different for One. And I also wanted to shout out to namkcur and others who've rightfully pointed out that One is tremendous on this tour. Was a huge highlight both nights I saw it.

Fuck, even I think One is the best part of this tour's encore (at shows where Bad or I Will Follow haven't been in the encore, anyway) and we all know my unpopular opinion about One. It's weird to hear Bono performing it with such passion and not turning it into some shithouse karaoke moment. The speech beforehand keeps growing longer and more tedious though.

Just watching the R&H performance of WOWY... the song might not be such a slog if Larry drummed like that now. Bono's been half-arseing it for years, but I forgot how much Larry drives that live performance. The song has huge energy because he keeps up the pace from start to finish.

Another song that's having something of a renaissance this tour - ISHFWILF. Studio version can't be topped, but the JT30 incarnation is the best it's been for many, many years.

fuck it. i'm buying a GA off someone. my girlfriend is at work till 11 and i have fuck all else to do tonight anyways.

already made the arrangements :up: would be cool to say hello to anyone from here on the floor before the show, if you're interested shoot me a PM and i'll give you my cell #.

i should have noted that you are not included in that invite. i can't be seen in public with the likes of you, i have a reputation to uphold.

Back
Top Bottom