Shuttlecock XVI - Cobbler's Revenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's still unmemorable. I can only bring it to mind because obnoxious Other Place posters kept calling it Soldier.

There's a theremin on it too, I think?

It's ... fine. Don't know why it gets so much love.

I had, however, completely forgotten about Volcano. It came up on my iPod about a week ago, and it took me until the vocal started to Name That Tune. I don't think I've ever had that happen with a U2 song.

I even like the song!

Ha, the same thing happened to me with Raised by Wolves. I think it's been a year since I last listened to Songs of Innocence from start to finish. Might need to change that.

I don't think my rankings of the songs or album relative to other albums has changed that much. Best since Pop. There's a few average songs but the better ones stand out for me much more than on any other post-1997 U2 album.

It's still unmemorable. I can only bring it to mind because obnoxious Other Place posters kept calling it Soldier.

There's a theremin on it too, I think?

It's ... fine. Don't know why it gets so much love.

I had, however, completely forgotten about Volcano. It came up on my iPod about a week ago, and it took me until the vocal started to Name That Tune. I don't think I've ever had that happen with a U2 song.

I even like the song!

That lacerating guitar work is so good and so atypical Edge. The new wave dance beat is also very, very retro for the band.

I can't believe this is meh for anyone, especially compared to a TUF rehash on the verses of Iris followed by that woo woo Chris Martin chorus. Jesus.

I can't believe this is meh for anyone, especially compared to a TUF rehash on the verses of Iris followed by that woo woo Chris Martin chorus. Jesus.

It's Adam's driving bass that wins me over to Iris, if I'm being honest.

The song is overrated as fuck when ranked against Bono's songs about his mother though. I've seen plenty of people place it above the likes of Lemon and Mofo. Yeah, no.

Happy birthday, Canada! [emoji1063]

But I am still confused as to why Bono and Edge are going to be on Parliament Hill in Ottawa celebrating and performing one or two songs.

yea when bono announced it at the show last week my initial reaction was "...why?"

i'm surprised they wouldn't go with 100% canadian artists. gordon lightfoot and alessia cara are the only other canadian musicians who are playing the show but i haven't heard or seen any advertisement that they'll be there at all. very weird that they either couldn't or wouldn't find a weekend/drake/bieber to show up for a couple songs.

please excuse me while I test something ...

giphy.gif

Yay, it worked! Carry on.

I'm surprised Bono didn't slip up and accidentally thank and praise America or something

I am not surprised by their song selection. Did Bono do any blabbering?
bono did a lot of blabbering, almost verbatim from the toronto show about how canada welcomed the irish. edge just started playing the song after about two full minutes of nonsense, presumably saying "wrap it up, we have a flight to cleveland".

I'm surprised Bono didn't slip up and accidentally thank and praise America or something
the prime minister forgot to mention two provinces (manioba and alberta) when he was listing them off in his speech, despite the teleprompters and the written speech on the podium in front of him.

October has energy, zeal and some really great vocal performances. Edge brings some blistering guitar lines. The rhythm section sounded alive and exciting.

Gloria, October, Tomorrow >>>>>> anything on SOI

I direct you toward david's post:

Mmmm. SOI's back end is so good.

Everything from RBW on is great. Best consecutive run of material since ATYCLB's side A.

You people shit on it way too much.

I don't have a bad word to say about October though, except that it fizzles out a bit at the end.

So Wild Honey is being used in the ads for The Big Sick, I was watching TV and heard the opening guitar and it was odd

Still better than Cocktober.

See:

October has energy, zeal and some really great vocal performances. Edge brings some blistering guitar lines. The rhythm section sounded alive and exciting.

Gloria, October, Tomorrow >>>>>> anything on SOI

October destroys Songs of Innocence.

Everything from RBW on is great. Best consecutive run of material since ATYCLB's side A.

You people shit on it way too much.

I don't have a bad word to say about October though, except that it fizzles out a bit at the end.

I will take any set of songs on the three albums that precede it.

Hmm, good point. No I wouldn't, but that's not saying much at all. I haven't listened to either in years and highly doubt I will again.

I have to say though I'd take the chorus of Crazy Tonight over any of that stretch (bar The Troubles). I find it gloriously uplifting, as stupid and cheesy as it is.

Back
Top Bottom